LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,982 of 2,040
Are y'all doing ASIO or WASAPI? If you go through DS sound it should get rid of the clicks since it keeps a steady output upsampled to your device properties setting. Though I guess anyone actively seeking out 24/96 likes to do things the hard way :grin:

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,985 of 2,040
Unfortunately the problem still exists in 2.1.

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad I didn’t upgrade the firmware, then, since I prefer the digital volume control and manual gain control.

Just out of curiosity, do you unplug your headphones when changing sample rates, or don’t you think the pop sound is significant enough to do any harm?

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,986 of 2,040
Thanks for the reply. I’m glad I didn’t upgrade the firmware, then, since I prefer the digital volume control and manual gain control.

Just out of curiosity, do you unplug your headphones when changing sample rates, or don’t you think the pop sound is significant enough to do any harm?

If you prefer digital volume and manual gain control, you should definitely stay on 1.5.

I have my library separated, so I know when sample rate will change. I just take my iems out of my ears. Even with them on, it's not loud enough to damage your ears, so I would assume it isn't even near enough to damage my drivers.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,987 of 2,040
I currently have 1.5 firmware installed on my GOV2+ Infinity, and there are pops through headphones when switching between files of different sample rates. Does anyone know if 2.1 fixes this issue?

If I'm remembering correctly, this is not an issue, it is how the unit was designed based on the choice of relays used. Those "pops" are the relays in the unit switching for different bit/sample rates. The same thing happens with the Geek Pulse, as well as my GO2PRO with 2.1 installed.

I keep my CIEMs plugged in during track switches. The "pops" are not loud enough to do any damage (unless you listen at absolutely ridiculous volumes), just annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,989 of 2,040
Has anyone tried using a GO2PRO (2.1 firmware) with a Galaxy S8/S8+?

I just received a new S8+ for my new job and I am trying to use it with my GO2PRO SE, however I am running into issues with getting audio to pass through, or pass through at the proper volume.

I bought a nice custom silver OTG micro-USB to micro-USB cable, and USB-C OTG adapters, and the S8+ recognizes the GO2PRO as an audio output device (most of the time).

However, UAPP will not play anything, no matter what file types/formats I try. Tidal will at least play files I have saved through offline download (most of the time), but the volume is extremely low. I have to turn it up to almost maximum to get decent volume.

I am new to Android so I am wondering if there is some setting tucked away I missed (I looked quite thoroughly), or known behavior.

EDIT:

I tried changing a couple of settings in the Developer Mode options per some other threads I found, but no change.

I have an LG X Power phone that I ordered a few days before I received my job offer, but never got around to returning.

I tried it with the new silver cable as this phone has a micro-USB port, and UAPP is working great with it.

The issues I am having are either with settings in the S8+, the OTG adapter, or a combination of the two. Looks like I will be keeping the X Power after all to use as my good portable rig, and use the S8+ for commuting, etc when I am not worried about critical listening.

If anyone has any ideas about the S8+ I would still be glad to try them as I would like to do everything from one phone.

I used the GO2Pro fw 2.10 with my Samsung S5 and S7 edge and it works fine. Used UAPP too. You can try Developer options on Android, but mine worked fine without using it.

I don't know if you realize, but from 2.1 the buttons on the GO2Pro are now basically volume buttons unlike in the manual, so you have to press the up button (the one nearer to the power switch) multiple times to increase the volume and then increase the gain. Happened to me first time I upgraded firmware too, was baffled for 2 days until I figured out.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,990 of 2,040
I used the GO2Pro fw 2.10 with my Samsung S5 and S7 edge and it works fine. Used UAPP too. You can try Developer options on Android, but mine worked fine without using it.

I don't know if you realize, but from 2.1 the buttons on the GO2Pro are now basically volume buttons unlike in the manual, so you have to press the up button (the one nearer to the power switch) multiple times to increase the volume and then increase the gain. Happened to me first time I upgraded firmware too, was baffled for 2 days until I figured out.

Thank you for the response. I completely forgot to update my posts with a workaround I found. It definitely was not the firmware or the GO2PRO, just something dumb going on in Android.

While it was still a pain in the *** to use with the S8+, I found that if I had the GO2PRO powered on and connected, then power cycled the phone, 95+% of the time it would then recognize the GO2PRO as a low level Linux USB audio device and pass that on to Android.

From there UAPP recognized it perfectly and I could play any file formats as expected.

May 1, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,991 of 2,040
Thank you for the response. I completely forgot to update my posts with a workaround I found. It definitely was not the firmware or the GO2PRO, just something dumb going on in Android.

While it was still a pain in the *** to use with the S8+, I found that if I had the GO2PRO powered on and connected, then power cycled the phone, 95+% of the time it would then recognize the GO2PRO as a low level Linux USB audio device and pass that on to Android.

From there UAPP recognized it perfectly and I could play any file formats as expected.

I still can't get my V2+ Infinity v1.5 firmware to work with the S8+, even using LHL's own micro-B to micro-B OTG cable with a C adapter. I've had Developer USB options set to Audio Only, RNDIS (USBEthernet) and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) and nothing, zip, zero and a big fat goose egg trying the method above.

May 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,992 of 2,040
I still can't get my V2+ Infinity v1.5 firmware to work with the S8+, even using LHL's own micro-B to micro-B OTG cable with a C adapter. I've had Developer USB options set to Audio Only, RNDIS (USBEthernet) and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) and nothing, zip, zero and a big fat goose egg trying the method above.

I had issues with using a micro-B OTG cable with a USB C adapter as well. I finally found out about and ordered a Shanling L2 USB C to micro-B OTG cable from Singapore. It cost $25 US.

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/usb-cable/shanling-l2.html

If that does not fix it for you, the only other thing I can think of is upgrading to the 2.1 firmware which might have code that allows the S8+ to recognize it better.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #1,994 of 2,040
I had issues with using a micro-B OTG cable with a USB C adapter as well. I finally found out about and ordered a Shanling L2 USB C to micro-B OTG cable from Singapore. It cost $25 US.

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/usb-cable/shanling-l2.html

If that does not fix it for you, the only other thing I can think of is upgrading to the 2.1 firmware which might have code that allows the S8+ to recognize it better.

I tried to order but a pop-up said that there weren't any shipping options to deliver, so I'm assuming they don't ship to the US.

May 3, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,995 of 2,040
I tried to order but a pop-up said that there weren't any shipping options to deliver, so I'm assuming they don't ship to the US.

Penon Audio definitely ship to the US. Send them a message and I'm sure they'll help you out, they're a very highly regarded seller.

If you prefer eBay they've got a store under the name Bigbargainonline there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back