LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Nov 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #586 of 2,040
Is this using the 100mW output, or 1000mW? If your headphones are efficient you'll only need the 100mW. Have you set UAPP to hardware volume control, where you can alter the master volume and then have more graduated volume control? Have a bit more of a look at the volume controls in UAPP I think.

No idea why it should be slow for you, it's fine here.

UAPP says I have no hardware volume control. I can not determine why it is so slow. I Sync BubbleUPnP to Google Music. Launch UAPP and select BubbleUPnP and Google Music shows up.

I select something and it takes time to bring it up. Then I hit play and it then takes sometime to start.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #587 of 2,040
UAPP says I have no hardware volume control. I can not determine why it is so slow. I Sync BubbleUPnP to Google Music. Launch UAPP and select BubbleUPnP and Google Music shows up.

I select something and it takes time to bring it up. Then I hit play and it then takes sometime to start.

It is searching Google Music and streaming it, so should take a little time.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #588 of 2,040
anyone have photo of the special case
popcorn.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #589 of 2,040
  I've compared the v2+ to my desktop DAC twice the price and about 50x bigger, and the v2 sounded at least as good. I also compared the HA-2 to my desktop DAC, and the HA-2 lost out big time with only around 2/3rds the clarity and 1/2 the soundstage. That is to say the v2+ could have sounded even better than the desktop DAC (if I had enough A/B time), of which was already around twice as good as the HA-2.

I was under the impression that the v2 doesn't have a line-out, rather just an amp'd 3.5mm out with variable gain settings; which can optionally be doubled amped with another AMP. Or does it have a separate line-out?

I had the same experience with the HA-2 and ended up sending it back.  Great design, but not up to the best performance.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #592 of 2,040
This announcement just came in:

Dear Backers,
Finally we got gold sample of Geek Out V2+ chassis that is good to go.  Gavin, Brody and me are all excited. Body really works from daytime to mid night for this V2+ chassis, make the best combination for aluminum faceplate and 3D printed body. Also, we tested for the heat conducting too, Geek Out V2+ feel a bit warm, but definitely not hot at all. 

Another quick photo I got from my iPhone. Please kindly understand "Black engraving on black surface" looks really much better in real life then shown in picture. 

Factory will start the full speed production from tomorrow morning.
The rest of Geek Out V2+ (PCBs, packages...) are all ready and wait for the chassis delivered to our lab. We will assemble here in California and make one more time final QC before we ship to your hands.
Thanks again for your patience. And we are glad Geek Out V2+ is back on track.
Larry

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #593 of 2,040
The unit does not look bad at all, as pictured... Indeed it looks a lot better than the earlier design...  I have to say, though, that I still don't get how this final finish resembles that of the Vi DAC (pictured below), but I guess one can't tell for sure until one has both items in hand...Oh well, I'll be pleased if the final item looks as good "in person" as it does in the picture, and even more so, if it sounds as good as many have claimed it does.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #596 of 2,040
  This announcement just came in:
Dear Backers,

[/...]

Thanks again for your patience. And we are glad Geek Out V2+ is back on track.
Larry

Looks a hell of a lot better than V1. I'll wait for some close ups and then some user shots, but at least the real life pictures so far look better than the real life pictures before.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #597 of 2,040
  The unit does not look bad at all, as pictured... Indeed it looks a lot better than the earlier design...  I have to say, though, that I still don't get how this final finish resembles that of the Vi DAC

Was is supposed to look the same? I never caught that bit.

I'm still wondering how the Vi DAC will come out sound wise compared to the Infinity and other ~$1500-2000 DACs? It looks cool, and for some that'll be a good enough selling point, but it's gotta swing a big stick with that kind of wait.

The Infinity is alright and let it keep burning in, but I don't think it's the giant killer and price/performance monster that the marketing gears had it pegged as. I won't be passing it on, it'll work well in the office and will probably have good technical support from here forward. It's good and I like it overall, but could my money have been better spent elsewhere, probably. 

So, where will the Vi DAC fall?

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #598 of 2,040
I'm hoping the vi dac has had enough extra time to develop that it's better than infinity + lps :)
hehe anyone else get reminded of Ed Grimley by Gavin in that picture?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #599 of 2,040
  Was is supposed to look the same? I never caught that bit.

This was posted by Gavin Fish 29 days ago:

Hi team,
Before we all sign out for the weekend, I thought I'd show you Geek Out V2+'s new chassis. It's almost ready to go into production, we just have to test out a couple different finishes on the metal. I'm leaning toward the same finish we put on Vi DAC, which is a bullet grey anodization over a bead-blasted high polished aluminum.

Source : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-out-v2-the-world-s-most-powerful-compact-amp#/updates

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #600 of 2,040
  This was posted by Gavin Fish 29 days ago:

Hi team,
Before we all sign out for the weekend, I thought I'd show you Geek Out V2+'s new chassis. It's almost ready to go into production, we just have to test out a couple different finishes on the metal. I'm leaning toward the same finish we put on Vi DAC, which is a bullet grey anodization over a bead-blasted high polished aluminum.

Source : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-out-v2-the-world-s-most-powerful-compact-amp#/updates

Ah, posted by Gavin. I tune him out now. Larry or nobody. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back