Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
Oct 4, 2018 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 973

all999

1000+ Head-Fier
phone-hero.png

Cutting-edge to its core, the LG V40 ThinQ is almost here! It’s the only 5-camera phone out there—with 3 rear cameras and dual cameras in the front—which means you’ll be able to seize your moments as they happen, from multiple angles. With just one click, the rear cameras take a Triple Shot, capturing the same photo from 3 different vantage points: Standard, Telephoto Zoom, and a Super Wide-Angle. And you’ll love advanced camera features like Cine Shot, which lets you create partially animated GIFs, bringing your photos to life! Then there’s the LG V40’s brilliant Artificial Intelligence capabilities, like AI Cam, which automatically suggests the best angles and effects, as well AI Composition, which recognizes up to three people and adjusts composition like a true artist, and Google Lens. Add to that Google Assistant integration and you’ll get real-time answers fast, as well as the latest info on weather, traffic, finance, or sports. You can even find translations while you’re traveling.

Not to be outdone by the intuitive features are the impressive audio capabilities of the LG V40 ThinQ, delivering 32-Bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC for enhanced playback, DTS:X 3D Surround Sound for a deep 3D audio experience, plus Boombox Speaker, which uses the top and bottom speakers along with an inner chamber to give a stunning boost to your bass. Now you’ve got more ways than ever to experience and share life on-the-go. The V40 ThinQ also features sleek, clean lines, and an unbelievable 6.4" QHD+ OLED FullVision™ (3120 x 1440) display that delivers vibrant, lifelike color, stunning contrast, and remarkable clarity—making the LG V40 ThinQ a work of pure innovation. And with its incredibly fast Android™ 8.1 (Oreo) platform, Qualcomm Snapdragon™ Octa-Core processor and the long-lasting 3,300 mAh Non-Removable battery, it'll also satisfy your need for speed on demand, so buckle in and get ready—because the LG V40 smartphone is headed your way.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 973
Unfortunately negative: 3300 Mha battery, Oreo 8.1 now, 64 gb only version a 6GB RAM, so not sure if battery life is much improved over the V30 and now screen is bigger at 6.4 inches. No 5G compatible and still the old Snapdragon 845.
But expect stunning sound output from a smartphone, during music playback, voice recording and video recording.FM Radio with RDS.
If is under £700 in UK and released this month then is a winner.

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 973
Too much competition and corporate desire for gimmicky products that don't work well. The five cameras don't work that well from reading two reviews of it.

If I were LG, I would make a solid phone and back it up with superior customer service and develop an online following. This will allow LG to become like Xiaomi did in China or OnePlus.

LG needs to be a cult smart phone as they can't compete with Samsung head-to-head.

I do like their phones but the LG40 doesn't do it for me at that price. Maybe at $699, three months later...

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 973
What DAC SoC is this using.. is it the same that v30 uses or it's been upgraded. No info on ESS website and neither LG is interested in disclosing it. It seems like tuning will be different this time.. warm instead of neutral.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 973
What DAC SoC is this using.. is it the same that v30 uses or it's been upgraded. No info on ESS website and neither LG is interested in disclosing it. It seems like tuning will be different this time.. warm instead of neutral.

Only info so far is here:
http://www.sohu.com/a/257731146_482135

Via translate: " The new LG V40 is equipped with the ESSES9218P HI-FI chip."

So looks to be same DAC chip as G7 / V30 / V35.

Oct 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 973

It's the same chip after all, V40 by Meridian and V30 by B&O. Looks like tuning is reserved only for V series phones. I don't remember G6 or G7's DAC being tuned by any company.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 973

It's the same chip after all, V40 by Meridian and V30 by B&O. Looks like tuning is reserved only for V series phones. I don't remember G6 or G7's DAC being tuned by any company.

I don't know his measuring methods, but he claims audio output on V40 has more power than V30. So maybe LG enabled amp control?

https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-V40-ThinQ-Review_id4566

Bez tytułu.png

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 973
probabbly the v40 has same solution of v30, i.e. the ess package dac+ampli. it will be that the battery is more powerful and it allows a higher voltage?

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 973
Yes, Meridian tunned the sound this time, so most likely it will sound different then V30 even if using same DAC chip.
I'm excited what will be the sound signature tuning of Meridian.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 973
I don't know his measuring methods, but he claims audio output on V40 has more power than V30. So maybe LG enabled amp control?

https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-V40-ThinQ-Review_id4566

probabbly the v40 has same solution of v30, i.e. the ess package dac+ampli. it will be that the battery is more powerful and it allows a higher voltage?

More output means beefier power delivery circuitry. This infact does mean internals are changed in comparison to V30. Looks like the same ESS 9218P SoC is better implemented in V40. Implementation matters more then the SoC itself from what i understand.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 973

I'm not sure I really want a phone that's bigger than the V30. Also, the increased screen size coupled with the same-sized battery as the V30 seems to give the V40 poorer battery life.

The poll results don't look too optimistic for the V40 so far :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back