LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
May 13, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #736 of 973
Basic question-have a V40. If I want to go digitally out to a amp/dac, does it need otg the way the older phones did? (I only see otg cables for the old mini usb connector).
No, it doesn't.
I for me, use the cheap (usb-c to Usb-a) and an ordinary usb-a to usb-b cable.
Works flawless.

May 21, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #737 of 973
Hey guys kind of late to the party just bought an LG v40 got a few questions hopefully somebody can answer.

I heard this is the phone to have if you're in audiophile so far I'm not seeing that I bought a pair of 1more triple drivers and I can't get any volume out of this phone full blast it's not even in the enough enough to power them.

I've heard there's an AUX mode I've heard that there's a high impedance mode don't know how to get the phone to kick in the one of those modes cuz right now I'm on the fence about taking it back because I cannot get any volume I mean I can hear them but there's they're definitely underpowered and it's not giving me enough juice to drive them.

So I guess my questions you guys are there any tricks tips or is it just the way this phone is and I'm using Flac files mm using USB audio Pro as my as my music player so any suggestions would help thank you very much for your time.

May 21, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #738 of 973
Sorry I should have put this in with my first question I'm coming from a ZTE axon 7 and when I plug my OnePlus triple drivers into that it destroys the lgv40 as far as volume goes like I get way more volume out of that phone and that's a four-year-old phone but it's pretty beat up so that's why I bought the lgv40.

May 22, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #739 of 973
Hey guys kind of late to the party just bought an LG v40 got a few questions hopefully somebody can answer.

I heard this is the phone to have if you're in audiophile so far I'm not seeing that I bought a pair of 1more triple drivers and I can't get any volume out of this phone full blast it's not even in the enough enough to power them.

I've heard there's an AUX mode I've heard that there's a high impedance mode don't know how to get the phone to kick in the one of those modes cuz right now I'm on the fence about taking it back because I cannot get any volume I mean I can hear them but there's they're definitely underpowered and it's not giving me enough juice to drive them.

So I guess my questions you guys are there any tricks tips or is it just the way this phone is and I'm using Flac files mm using USB audio Pro as my as my music player so any suggestions would help thank you very much for your time.
Get a short 3.5 extention cable and plug it in without the headphone connected.
This will trick the aux mode. With an impedance adaptor, or a headphone with > 50ohm, on this cable you'll get high impedance mode which nearly doubles the output power.

But be careful of your hearing. :)

Question to add:
Is it the iem or the over ear which you have?

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #740 of 973
I see what you're saying get a 3.5 mm headphone extension short one length of 3 in or 6 in ch and then I need to either plug in a 50 ohm headphone to it or impedance adapter pretty sure my iems 1more triple driver are not 50 ohm actually I don't know how many ohm they are maybe they could be I doubt it .

I'll get the short adapter and try that first if that doesn't trigger it I'll get the impedance adapter.

Thanks for the quick reply I think I kind of fell for the all of the awesome reviews all over the internet on these 1more triple drivers I mean they sound okay but of course I don't have enough power to power them yet so I don't want to judge them fully yet . When I pump more juice they might sound better but right now I'm finding all the reviews overhyped the bit.

Thanks again I appreciate it I'll let you know what happens.

May 22, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #741 of 973
I see what you're saying get a 3.5 mm headphone extension short one length of 3 in or 6 in ch and then I need to either plug in a 50 ohm headphone to it or impedance adapter pretty sure my iems 1more triple driver are not 50 ohm actually I don't know how many ohm they are maybe they could be I doubt it .

I'll get the short adapter and try that first if that doesn't trigger it I'll get the impedance adapter.

Thanks for the quick reply I think I kind of fell for the all of the awesome reviews all over the internet on these 1more triple drivers I mean they sound okay but of course I don't have enough power to power them yet so I don't want to judge them fully yet . When I pump more juice they might sound better but right now I'm finding all the reviews overhyped the bit.

Thanks again I appreciate it I'll let you know what happens.

1More Triple Drivers are 32ohms, so won't trigger High Impedance Mode (HiFi2 mode, 2Vrms). That means you're in Normal Mode (HiFi1, 1Vrms). There is a louder version of HiFi1 called Aux Mode, which is triggered when >600ohms is plugged in.

You can trigger Aux mode by plugging JUST that extension cable into the phone. THEN add your headphones.

The Imp adapter is used if you want to trigger HIM mode (HiFi2): Connect extension cable, Imp adapter and headphones in a chain, THEN plug them into the phone. Once HIM is triggered, remove the Imp adapter from the chain (you don't want to play through it). Don't take the extension cable out of the phone once you've triggered HIM, or you'll have to start over.

Make sure your extension cable is good quality, I've seen (heard) the difference when they're not.

I'm surprised the 1More Triple Drivers require this much power. I've been using 32ohm full size cans (53mm DD) as well as CCA C10 (4 BAs 1DD) and both were plenty loud in Normal mode.

Please don't take offense for me asking, but you DID enable HiFi Quad DAC, right?

On some LG models that HiFi Quad DAC settings page also shows which mode you're in. If yours doesn't, then get the $1 app "Hi-Fi Status (LG)" from Play Store.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #742 of 973
Yes I enabled Hi-Fi DAC as soon as you stick the 3.5 mm cable into the phone it pops up where you can do DTS and quad DAC guess I unable to quad DAC no offense taken.

I ordered some cable some 3.5 extension headphone from Amazon.

Let me see if I can clarify this right just to 6 in 3.5 mm headphone extension cable is not necessarily a impedance adapter?

I guess going into the high-end peaden's mode is what I want I need more volume I just can't get them loud enough but when I put them inside by ZTE axon 7 they blow my ears off so big difference between the two phones.

So I've got some of the little 3.5 extension cables on order hopefully they're good quality they're not very expensive so I don't know how good they get very good reviews on Amazon but I don't know if that means anything either I am get them from a high-end audio store.

Too bad there's not just an option in the phone to go into Hive impedance mode if you want to bed you have to trick it like this.

Thanks for your reply my cable be showing up tomorrow so I will post bacc what happens.

On a side note the 1more triple driver actually sounds pretty darn decent on my ZTE axon phone now that I've been listening to them cuz I just think it has more power and more volume which is what they're not getting from the v40.

May 22, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #743 of 973
@califmike33: I didn't understand everything you wrote there. Please review your post for autocorrect/dictation typos and punctuation, that should help.

It is no doubt frustrating that we have to go through such hoops to engage the higher gain modes on LG phones. There should be an option to override the auto detection -- although 99% of users would then force HIM all the time, whether they need it or not.

If you root the phone, you can do it. Otherwise the extension cable / Imp adapter trick is the only way.

Of course most IEMs / headphones DO trigger the appropriate mode automatically: Sensitive ones do NOT need HIM and won't trigger it if <50ohms. More power hungry ones must be >50ohms, in which case they'll get the power. But some (such as planars) just need the power, even with low impedance.

Edit: I am wondering if something might be wrong with your phone or your DAC, if the volume is that low. While the 1More's 99dB sensitivity is indeed on the low side for an IEM, we're not in planar territory here.

When toggling Quad DAC on/off while playing you should hear a distinct difference (and a brief cutout). If not, try powering off/on your phone. Of course make sure all effects, DTS, EQ etc are disabled, and the Balance dials are set to max (0dB). If you DON'T hear a difference when toggling Quad DAC (on otherwise good headphones) I would request a replacement for that phone.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #744 of 973
Sorry about that don't have a computer I'm actually talking into my phone so it's going to be a little messy for now.

So what you're telling me is every time I plug in my 1more triple driver buds the little screen to pop up for the DAC?

When I go into the sound menu the quad DAC is activated so it's actually on and working.

May 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #745 of 973
Sorry about that don't have a computer I'm actually talking into my phone so it's going to be a little messy for now.

So what you're telling me is every time I plug in my 1more triple driver buds the little screen to pop up for the DAC?

When I go into the sound menu the quad DAC is activated so it's actually on and working.
Don't know how it is handled by the V40.
On my V30, it shows in the status bar.
On the right side: Headphones for Hifi mode off, Hifi for Hifi-Dac.
On the left side: Aux for Aux mode and 50ohm headphone for HIM mode.

No popup besides the Uapp on my phone.

Edit.
Right at the moment i listen to my Pioneer Monitor 5 (40ohm/ 99db sensitivity) in HIM mode with Uapp on volume level 35 out of 70.
On volume level 45 it's faily loud, imo.

On Hifi mode, i've to crank the volume to 65 to achieve the same out of the V30.
It makes a hugh difference.
Can't imagine how much volume you're blasting to your ear drums with this little in ear speaker. :deadhorse:

Maybe your smartphone is a defective unit, i guess.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #746 of 973
Maybe my hearings already so damaged I need that much volume.

I double checked today the quad DAC is definitely on so it's definitely not that.

Like i said waiting for cable tomorrow and we shall see.

May 22, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #748 of 973
Maybe my hearings already so damaged I need that much volume.

I double checked today the quad DAC is definitely on so it's definitely not that.

Like i said waiting for cable tomorrow and we shall see.
Maybe.
But it's all on you.
Keep trying to listen with lower volume to acclimate your hearing to it.
It'll take several days, but after doing so, you'll notice a rise in your hearing abilities. :wink:

Btw., a louder sound isn't the better at all.
For the majority, louder listening is fooling your brain to sound better, but it isn't properly. :wink:

May 22, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #749 of 973
Okay I will try that for the next couple days and see what happens.

Maybe it's not more volume maybe I need more voltage to the air buds maybe that's what's missing.

Did read a review on my earbuds that guy said when he actually hook them up to an amp fiio amp then they came alive.

May 22, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #750 of 973

I do believe you that it's turned on. What I asked was, if you turn it on/off WHILE playing music, do you hear a distinct difference? Because if you DON'T then something might be wrong with your hardware. It happens, I remember a few reports of it here and on XDA. Other times powering the phone off/on solves it.

Also, did you check that all effects and EQ are disabled on the Quad DAC settings page and the Balance sliders turned to max? I am not saying you did anything wrong, just asking if you checked those settings, since they could cause exactly what you are experiencing.

If the V40 is so much weaker that other phones you tried, that doesn't make sense if the ESS DAC is working correctly.

About the loud volume, Mr Kaoss is right: I lost my hearing to a disease last year. Not all of it, but enough I cannot listen to music anymore. And I can tell you it sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back