LG V30
Jun 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #5,896 of 6,140
I bought. Did you use the equalizer setting? No matter what I did, I couldn't set it up properly. I use it without equalizer. Frankly, I couldn't hear any difference between the phone's default music app and the UAPP. :frowning2:
I don't use EQ, so cannot speak to that.

The difference between UAPP and LG Music is only on 16/44. LG Music handles HiRes and MQA correctly (bypassing the Android Mixer).

Not everybody can hear the artifacts caused by the mixer. It depends on your music, your IEMs/headphones, and of course your ears. @csglinux posted a clip here at one point to show what it sounds like. Search for posts from him. Also others may chime in with their experiences.

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #5,898 of 6,140
According to the following by XDA's V30 master ChazzMatt, LG did in fact add DTS:X to last November's security update for the V30, but then either forgot to activate it, or their marketing guys or the carriers or some other idiots decided to hold it back. The functionally is apparently there, and can be activated on a rooted device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/how-to/enable-dts-3d-stereo-lg-v30-variants-t3887139

I have not tried this myself, as I still haven't rooted my V30.
Have you rooted the V30? Does DTS:X 3D affect sound quality? What I'm talking about is music listened to with headphones. Not loudspeaker. Is the difference worth rooting?

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #5,899 of 6,140
Have you rooted the V30? Does DTS:X 3D affect sound quality? What I'm talking about is music listened to with headphones. Not loudspeaker. Is the difference worth rooting?

Wow, that's a 2.5 years old post you dug up there. But still relevant!

I have a rooted V30 on Oreo, and an unrooted on Pie. I don't use root, though, it was mostly for experimenting when we were trying to bypass the mixer.

And I did NOT install DTS:X as I don't like adding sound effects to my music. But other people don't have such sensibilities and love the effect. No judgement. Seriously!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #5,900 of 6,140
I bought. Did you use the equalizer setting? No matter what I did, I couldn't set it up properly. I use it without equalizer. Frankly, I couldn't hear any difference between the phone's default music app and the UAPP. :frowning2:
No worries. What is the issue with the sound ? How do you want it to sound, more bass ?

Try setting it so, see how it is (and turn it on, the gray button for on or off up on the right):

UAPP EQ.jpg

This is not on LG V30, but it does the same kind of thing.

So for more bass just move the two sliders on the left, 31 and 63hz up.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5,901 of 6,140
Wow, that's a 2.5 years old post you dug up there. But still relevant!

I have a rooted V30 on Oreo, and an unrooted on Pie. I don't use root, though, it was mostly for experimenting when we were trying to bypass the mixer.

And I did NOT install DTS:X as I don't like adding sound effects to my music. But other people don't have such sensibilities and love the effect. No judgement. Seriously!
I asked because I was very curious about this feature. I would like to try. I couldn't root because I had the Pie version installed. Does it spoil the naturalness of the sound? Frankly, the opinion of an audiophile is more important to me than a normal listener. :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,902 of 6,140
I asked because I was very curious about this feature. I would like to try. I couldn't root because I had the Pie version installed. Does it spoil the naturalness of the sound? Frankly, the opinion of an audiophile is more important to me than a normal listener. :)

For me the goal is to reproduce the source material as close as possible to the original, not making it "sound better". I find that taking layers and effects away yields a more revealing and open sound, which I prefer.

But that is only one school. Again, others don't have such sensibilities. And I have seen XDA users rave about DTS:X. I'm sure it does sound great.

So for me it's not a reason to root. But it may be for others.

You can still root after updating to Pie. You have to roll back to early Oreo anyway in order to unlock the bootloader (unless you have a model where LG just gives you the Unlock.bin file). But after that, you can flash Pie or the latest Oreo. Note that there IS a risk when rolling back from Pie to Oreo. It's best to go via Nougat, which cleans up the partition table. Check the root thread on XDA for your model.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #5,903 of 6,140
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help? I wanted a simpler Mobile rig so i purchased a LG V30,Empire Ears Bravado MKII & Poweramp Music App. I purchased the Bravado mkll with a 2.5mm Balanced Cable which i am going to use with my FiiO Btr3k. What i want to know is? Is there an affordable way i can use the Bravado mkll 2.5mm balanced wired with the V30 "without" bypassing the V30's Quad DAC.
If im right in thinking? if i were to buy a portable headphone amp and plug it into the V30 it will completely bypass the Quad DAC which will defeats the object of buying/using the LG V30! So my question is.
Is it possible to use a 2.5mm balanced IEM without bypassing the LG V30's Quad DAC?

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #5,904 of 6,140
I suppose it is possible, but you'd need to find a portable headphone amp that accepts a 3.5mm line-in.

Honestly, the best solution would be to just use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and call it a day. Is there a particular reason you need to use a balanced output?

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #5,905 of 6,140
Sure. You just need a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5 mm adapter like the ddhifi DJ35A. It's perfectly OK to go from 2.5 mm balanced to 3.5 mm single-ended, just not the other way around. The Fiio BL35 will also work if you prefer a pigtail. Lot's of other choices as well if you look.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #5,906 of 6,140
Does DTS:X 3D have any effect on sound? Does it improve sound quality? Is it necessary for music?

It's utter blasphemy for headphones, but depending on your car stereo it may add a little kick of ambiance there. Depending on the source I was sometimes use it that way.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,907 of 6,140
I suppose it is possible, but you'd need to find a portable headphone amp that accepts a 3.5mm line-in.

Honestly, the best solution would be to just use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and call it a day. Is there a particular reason you need to use a balanced output?
Thanks for the advice, I'm going 2.5mm balanced because after some research iv concluded 2.5mm balanced has a far better SQ in comparison to a 3.5mm SE Output in particular better dynamic range & low frequency control. What is your take on 3.5mm SE v 2.5mm balanced?
Thanks in advance for your help its much appreciated

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #5,908 of 6,140
Sure. You just need a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5 mm adapter like the ddhifi DJ35A. It's perfectly OK to go from 2.5 mm balanced to 3.5 mm single-ended, just not the other way around. The Fiio BL35 will also work if you prefer a pigtail. Lot's of other choices as well if you look.
I have a adapter but wanted to go balanced for the improvement in sound quality! Thanks for your help 👍

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,909 of 6,140
I have a adapter but wanted to go balanced for the improvement in sound quality! Thanks for your help 👍
We've tested a ton of devices single-ended vs balanced, and have never (even once) seen an improvement in SQ from the balanced output. You can check the numbers by going here: https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/ and selecting the 'All Variants' option. The only real use for a balanced output is higher output power, but that almost always comes at a price of double the output impedance.

Choose your poison carefully :wink:

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,910 of 6,140

Well, you're not going to be able to go pure balanced with the V30 and use the internal DAC. Even if you used a headphone amp, the phone/line out on the V30 is still single-ended. I'm not personally a believer in balanced is always better, unless you need more power. Of course a USB/DAC/AMP would work but it 's bypassing the internal DAC,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back