LG V30
May 21, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #5,641 of 6,140
I definitely notice a reduction in detail / more fatigue when using HIM on iem's. Don't believe the hype :)
Could be because HIM isn't for the use with iem, i think.

May 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #5,643 of 6,140
Just the opposite. With the DAC turned off the sound quality and stage is greatly reduced.
I thought AZT was referring to the Quad Dac. He was referring to HIM. My mistake.

Actually I too read it to say they preferred sound with the DAC off. I didn't have time to respond that day, but I was scratching my head.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #5,644 of 6,140
Shout-out to everyone still following this thread.

After 2 and a half glorious years with the V30+, I’m itching to upgrade my portable source. My mind is set on going back to a DAP; I want to take advantage of a balanced output and dedicated audio circuitry.

It’s hard though. There’s the DX160, with its shielding issues and crappy BT. The Shanling units that make my wife’s eyes go wide before she asks me why they haven’t hired a designer, and whose sound keeps being described as dry, dry, dry. Fiio who can’t even translate and edit their product page properly and whose UI I can’t stand - also the M11 and Pro are treble-head sibilance fests apparently. Cayin openly went for a pooper scooper exterior with the N6ii and it sounds pretty bland. Sony at last releases Android DAPs, but doesn’t care enough to play back bit-perfect, and shoot themselves in the foot with a nonsensical implementation of the EU volume cap. Astell & Kern keep giving just enough with the “entry-level” SR25, but barely, and ultimately not enough when my next $100 BT receiver is rated to dish out the same amount of power, and their screen is specced like my $100 Cowon i9 from 15 years ago.
Not to mention many of those are stuck on behind-the-curve Android versions.

Last time I went to an audio show I came back joking to my wife that I had to spend 4000$ at least to upgrade. Literally it took the Focal Arche desktop amp paired with one of their higher-tier cans, or the Cayin N8 tube brick to make a real improvement.

I’m thinking DX220? It’s the only thing I’ve heard at a more reasonable price point and form factor where there was a clear little improvement over the V30, even single-ended. But it’s a year+ old now and still retails for the original price. Amp3 offer a decent 800€ with a coupon code, still a lot of money when my desktop DAC/amp set me back just 400 and sounds hugely great.

What’s you guys’ experience with switching/upgrading source from the V30? Where did you go? What felt good, what do you advise? I’m after a richer sound mostly, fuller, with both more body and air. CD-quality is fine, my ears don’t believe in “high-res“, so the DAC chips matter much less to me than the amp section.

Big thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #5,645 of 6,140
Shout-out to everyone still following this thread.

After 2 and a half glorious years with the V30+, I’m itching to upgrade my portable source. My mind is set on going back to a DAP; I want to take advantage of a balanced output and dedicated audio circuitry.

It’s hard though. There’s the DX160, with its shielding issues and crappy BT. The Shanling units that make my wife’s eyes go wide before she asks me why they haven’t hired a designer, and whose sound keeps being described as dry, dry, dry. Fiio who can’t even translate and edit their product page properly and whose UI I can’t stand - also the M11 and Pro are treble-head sibilance fests apparently. Cayin openly went for a pooper scooper exterior with the N6ii and it sounds pretty bland. Sony at last releases Android DAPs, but doesn’t care enough to play back bit-perfect, and shoot themselves in the foot with a nonsensical implementation of the EU volume cap. Astell & Kern keep giving just enough with the “entry-level” SR25, but barely, and ultimately not enough when my next $100 BT receiver is rated to dish out the same amount of power, and their screen is specced like my $100 Cowon i9 from 15 years ago.
Not to mention many of those are stuck on behind-the-curve Android versions.

Last time I went to an audio show I came back joking to my wife that I had to spend 4000$ at least to upgrade. Literally it took the Focal Arche desktop amp paired with one of their higher-tier cans, or the Cayin N8 tube brick to make a real improvement.

I’m thinking DX220? It’s the only thing I’ve heard at a more reasonable price point and form factor where there was a clear little improvement over the V30, even single-ended. But it’s a year+ old now and still retails for the original price. Amp3 offer a decent 800€ with a coupon code, still a lot of money when my desktop DAC/amp set me back just 400 and sounds hugely great.

What’s you guys’ experience with switching/upgrading source from the V30? Where did you go? What felt good, what do you advise? I’m after a richer sound mostly, fuller, with both more body and air. CD-quality is fine, my ears don’t believe in “high-res“, so the DAC chips matter much less to me than the amp section.

Big thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in.

What settings do you use in the Quad Dac and what IEMs are you using with the V30?

I'm potentially looking to upgrade from the V30 too, but to another smartphone and am struggling to find anything that is going to justify the expenditure.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #5,647 of 6,140
What settings do you use in the Quad Dac and what IEMs are you using with the V30?

I'm potentially looking to upgrade from the V30 too, but to another smartphone and am struggling to find anything that is going to justify the expenditure.
I hear you! I am looking at a new phone in parallel, but nothing jumps out - turns out the V30 was a flagship for the ages. On the photo and video side it’s possible to do better, but as a whole package it’s still damn hard to beat without throwing all the money at the wall. The upcoming Xperia 1 II maybe, but it’s like $1200... I paid about 500€ for the V30+ and it’s been both my phone and my DAP since March of 2018.

For a while I was looking at the Asus ROG 2, seemed to tick all the boxes, including a good headphone jack - but they never changed the original specs from the Asian market model, so it doesn't properly support 4G in Europe :rolling_eyes:

I am using the R2 Aten mainly. IMR iems pair up really well with the V30. No special settings, I downloaded a good EQ app but I never use it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #5,648 of 6,140
I'd switch to the V60 but I can go another year or two on this phone as it serves my needs. I have a BT amp that I love, a Dragonfly that works well for using Tidal on my laptop. I've got a pair of Grado SR125e's, Periodic Audio Be's and C's, and I see no reason to be chasing down the never ending rabbit hole for marginally improved sound.

Update: After blue screen delight for several weeks I returned my new Windows HP machine. Bought a MacBook Air. I tell you, plugged straight into the headphone jack the sound is pretty nice. Unlistenable with any windows machine I've ever owned. Still prefer the V30 a little but the extra push with the MacBook brings out a few details I prefer. Do I dare ditch my V30 for the iPhone?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #5,649 of 6,140
I'm starting a new issue post: Does anyone know of a way to customize the factory V30 music player ? I've been running Neutron on my older V20 and my current V30 because it has a great indexing format, and I "thought" it faithfully passed music through the dacs. I've always noted that crescendos and complex/loud passages often sound busy, clipped, or distorted and figured it was time for a better HP amp. For the hell of it, this last weekend I skipped Neutron altogether and listened directly through the factory music apk - stunning SQ improvement all-around ! Only problem I have is that the factory apk presentation/indexing scheme is completely unworkable. Has anyone stumbled onto an Easter egg or trick for customizing the factory apk presentation to have a tiered "folder-like" look?

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #5,650 of 6,140
thinking of upgrading my verizon V30 to a V50 or V60 with 5G and dual screen case.
Worth it soundwise?
or am I going backwards?

Thinking of retiring my V30 as a standalone (no SIM) at home/work qobuz/tidal wifi music streamer.
V30 + wireless charging stand feeding usb out via UAPP to an Atom headphone amp and some nice headphones

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #5,651 of 6,140
So late to the V30 party, but happy to be here nonetheless. Paired with Sony NC phones, sound is sweet. With the Fidelio X2HR, same. I have an Earstudio ES100 on hand, but honestly using a decent cable to HP out is fine. Using Amazon HD Music and flac/alac onboard via 128GB micro SD card. Thanks to fellow HFer and friend Jupiterknjght for the recommendation. Picked it up on Ebay for $90. In mint condition. It’s the T-Mobile 932 model, but no matter to me. Will never use it as a phone. Still stunned by the price to performance ratio. I was considering an iPod Touch. Crazy.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #5,652 of 6,140
A very welcome. :)

In fact you use it as a dap only, could you please tell us how long the battery last?
Use cases are:
- with bluetooth headphone.
- screen on
- screen mostly on standby

Really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks and have fun with the V30. :)

BR
Chris

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #5,653 of 6,140
thinking of upgrading my verizon V30 to a V50 or V60 with 5G and dual screen case.
Worth it soundwise?
or am I going backwards?

Thinking of retiring my V30 as a standalone (no SIM) at home/work qobuz/tidal wifi music streamer.
V30 + wireless charging stand feeding usb out via UAPP to an Atom headphone amp and some nice headphones
I have some impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v60-thinq-smartphone.926477/page-4#post-15720132 ... of course to my particular taste etc. but it may be helpful.

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #5,655 of 6,140
At this stage, the V30 battery is holding a very good charge using it either with headphones (both cable via Fidelio X2HR and BT with Sony M3) or connected to my home stereo or TV soundbar. I'd say with 6-7 hours use, it doesn't get too low, maybe to 20%. I charge it every night. So don't have those specific measurements, but for a used phone, I am very happy with battery life for my uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back