LG V30
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #722 of 6,140
We can, sure, but do you have any idea how many people fall for the "it's a digital connection now, that means it's better!" bull****? I've gotten in long-ass arguments on Reddit with people who genuinely believe that removing the 3.5mm is beneficial somehow.

Voting with our wallets is going to help a few of us out, but unfortunately as long as dog**** websites like The Verge and every Apple shill publication in existence continues to rave about how "courageous" it is to remove the headphone jack we're going to watch as all the big companies continue to **** over consumers in the interests of selling us more overpriced gadgets.

Call a spade a spade, Samsung is the only big name still holding out. LG is still hanging on but they're not nearly the major player they were and HTC is all but faded into obscurity. If the S9 loses the jack then the war is over.

Have to disagree there. While the 3.5mm jack may fall out of favour (in the consumer market), the professional audio market, the studio market, the soundstage market, the broadcast market, the features market, the audiophile market are not going completely wireless any time soon. Working in those fields, the idea that we would all give up our wired headphones is a joke, not least because available bandwidth is extremely limited in those production environments. Smartphones are like toys to them.

Expect to see the 6.35mm jack for a while, and likely after-market 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapters for some time too. And there are lots of cameras, audio mic transmitter/receiver interfaces which still use this connection where bandwidth does not match existing systems when shooting around the world.

If there was any sign that the 3.5mm jack were to be abandoned by LG for a V40, I'd buy another V30 next year to stash away.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #724 of 6,140
Have to disagree there. While the 3.5mm jack may fall out of favour (in the consumer market), the professional audio market, the studio market, the soundstage market, the broadcast market, the features market, the audiophile market are not going completely wireless any time soon. Working in those fields, the idea that we would all give up our wired headphones is a joke, not least because available bandwidth is extremely limited in those production environments. Smartphones are like toys to them.

If there was any sign that the 3.5mm jack were to be abandoned by LG for a V40, I'd buy another V30 next year to stash away.

I feel like you missed my point. I was talking about smartphones, nothing else. Tragically, the audiophile market is not particularly huge, and the v30's quad DAC is the last vestige of giving a damn about the jack in the western market (to wit: LG didn't give the G6 one in the US).

Like you said, smartphones are toys essentially, and unfortunately if more and more audiophiles go the "well I'm getting a DAP anyway" or "I prefer to use my Mojo" then that's the death knell of the headphone jack right there.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #726 of 6,140
How do the SE846 do with the V30? That would be my eventual setup once the unlocked V30 is available.

They sound great - surprisingly little noise floor noticeable. However, there is some weird issue @kundica has just pointed out, which I'm able to reproduce. It's not a hiss. It sounds like FR interference or some kind of intermodulation distortion around the heartbeats at the beginning of Dark Side of the Moon. Only present at low volumes.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #727 of 6,140
They sound great - surprisingly little noise floor noticeable. However, there is some weird issue @kundica has just pointed out, which I'm able to reproduce. It's not a hiss. It sounds like FR interference or some kind of intermodulation distortion around the heartbeats at the beginning of Dark Side of the Moon. Only present at low volumes.

Did you try it with airplane mode on?

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #728 of 6,140
Did you try it with airplane mode on?

Yes, airplane mode has no effect. It's slightly less obvious with the sharp or slow filter settings, but still audible. Something weird. Seems to go away completely as you raise the volume.

P.S. It seems to be an issue with low-impedance phones. I hear it with my SE846 and FLC8S, but cannot hear it at all with my ER4XR.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #729 of 6,140

Expect to see the 6.35mm jack for a while, and likely after-market 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapters for some time too. And there are lots of cameras, audio mic transmitter/receiver interfaces which still use this connection where bandwidth does not match existing systems when shooting around the world.

6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptors ruin 3.5mm headphone jacks. The weight of the adaptor and the length causes too much movement on the internals of
the jack, causing loss of contact with the connectors. It's one reason I sold my T1s because it required an adaptor, and it ruined my laptop jack and some other equipment.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #730 of 6,140
Here's a playlist I might try, when testing the V30 in a couple of weeks (UK).

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #731 of 6,140
I feel like you missed my point. I was talking about smartphones, nothing else. Tragically, the audiophile market is not particularly huge, and the v30's quad DAC is the last vestige of giving a damn about the jack in the western market (to wit: LG didn't give the G6 one in the US).

Like you said, smartphones are toys essentially, and unfortunately if more and more audiophiles go the "well I'm getting a DAP anyway" or "I prefer to use my Mojo" then that's the death knell of the headphone jack right there.

Fair point, I think I did miss it. Seems we're both right. And yes, the audiophile market it small but I only have myself to please - that's why I usually buy vintage!

C'est la guerre.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #732 of 6,140
6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptors ruin 3.5mm headphone jacks. The weight of the adaptor and the length causes too much movement on the internals of
the jack, causing loss of contact with the connectors. It's one reason I sold my T1s because it required an adaptor, and it ruined my laptop jack and some other equipment.

Sennheiser Cable Adapter Female 1/4" 6.3mm to Male 1/8" 3.5mm Plug:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGWY2Y/

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #733 of 6,140
You could just try playing something in Netflix or Youtube and set the volume to like 5.

Try unplugging and then re-plugging your headphones. It doesn't go away entirely, but it makes a difference. It seems like it's adjusting its output to the combination of HP impedance and sound output from the track at the moment you plug in your headphones. It is a bit disappointing, given that one would want/need to play more sensitive IEMs at lower volumes.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #734 of 6,140
Nearly every other android phone available outside Asia has the Qualcomm built in DAC straight into the headphone socket. Adding a decent amp on that gives a good improvement if done well.

LG has gone further. I wish more people could appreciate it.
Speaking of the Qualcomm DAC, I thought back to this little tweak over on XDA-developers and wondered how much better a typical Qualcomm-equipped smartphone (prior to SD820, anyway, won't work on that or later going by recent posts) would sound with it set up.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/qualcomm-gain-control-t3253957

The only thing is that volume control has to be done through the notification panel, which feels like a bit of a kludge. Might just be a necessary workaround to circumvent the Android audio stack for all I know. Then again, with an external amp, that's not much of a problem.

I do appreciate what LG's doing for smartphone audio, but the unfortunate part is that the V-series smartphones, like most others, wind up not having another niche feature that I've come to depend upon in a smartphone now and then: active pen input. Damn shame, too, because the V10 and V20 with a solid, pressure-sensitive and tilt-sensitive pen with seamless palm rejection would've been the real Note 4 successors that I wanted.

That's the problem with the smartphone market, really. Since 2015, it's been compromise after compromise. They took our removable batteries, our IR blasters, nearly took our microSD slots too, and now the tried-and-true 3.5mm TRRS headphone jack is looking like the latest victim. I could at least tolerate it a bit more if they just offered dual USB-C ports so that a typical adapter/DAC dongle doesn't also block off the only charging/data port on the device (think about how stupid a laptop with only a single USB/charge port and no other I/O besides 3.5mm TRRS would be - OH WAIT), but that's apparently a bit too much to ask.

You could've just reterminated the T1 with a 3.5mm TRS plug and solved it that way, though I figure that's not the only reason you sold it.

Then again, cable-related matters seem trivial to me when I've used a soldering iron and multimeter before.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #735 of 6,140
Hi all.

I'm looking to replace my Samsung Galaxy S5 (3+ yrs old) + AQDF Black combo with V30 in pole position, main issue being battery dying on me on S5.
What is the output impedance of V30? Haven't research yet, sry for this, hoping for a quick answer.

Thanks for the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back