LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 25, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #4,096 of 4,141
Was wondering if the LG v20 essentially becomes a pre-amp also when you run from the headphone out to system? A pre-amp and DAC.

It's been a while since I used my V20, but my understanding is that the phone has an "aux mode" that engages when attached to a line-level input ( > 600 ohm). This sets the output voltage to 0-1 Vrms which is appropriate for line-level. I believe the amp is actually still in the circuit, but yes, it's acting as a pre-amp.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #4,097 of 4,141
It's been a while since I used my V20, but my understanding is that the phone has an "aux mode" that engages when attached to a line-level input ( > 600 ohm). This sets the output voltage to 0-1 Vrms which is appropriate for line-level. I believe the amp is actually still in the circuit, but yes, it's acting as a pre-amp.
That is what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the response. I am surprised by the quality and (quantity-now I know) of this phone straight into my system. Good stuff.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #4,098 of 4,141
Was wondering if the LG v20 essentially becomes a pre-amp also when you run from the headphone out to system? A pre-amp and DAC.
I can be used to front an amp or integrated for that matter, so yes, it can act as a pre. Although in my experience it is not quite up to the level of a good well vetted computer source and player sw and a great under $200 dac.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #4,100 of 4,141
I wonder if I would hear a difference if I upgrade? I have LG v10 with Android 7, and G7 with Android 9. While the latter is clearer, more transparent and better detailed...the G7 is also bright and digital in terms of sound. I find V10 more musical and neutral, more body and bass, the sound is more balanced and even. Using Focal Listen Pro and Sennheiser HD 599SE, and CCA C12, all with the Duni 75 ohm adapter. I have 5x HTC 10 (some of them brand new, for a collection), but I quite enjoy the square, bright display of the V10, and it has no PWM (unlike G7, I find it atrocious). I know V20 has a PWM frequency of around 2.4 kHz. I do not care about IR and FM radio. I remember somebody wrote that V10 has better separation and sub-bass, compared to V20. I just love high PPI displays, this is why I own V10, G7 and HTC 10.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #4,103 of 4,141
If anyone is interested I just did a couple measurements on the V20:

High impedance...1.7V RMS (max)
"Aux":.....................0.8V RMS
Low impedance:...0.35V RMS

Why did LG make the full line level signal so ****ing difficult to get at? Until recently I didn't even believe in a high impedance mode, because you think they would have mentioned it at least one time in the owner's manual, but it isn't in there.

The "aux" mode is apparently using the full DAC capability, as the sound quality is the same as in high impedance, minus the quality loss of needing to amp it more externally, but that by itself is enough to want it at 1.7V all the time, and things only get worse when we consider that external gear is designed for a 2.0V signal. Sound quality is significantly worse if you try amping the tiny .3V one.

What the **** is LG thinking here?
What is the output impedance of the v20 in low impedance mode?

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #4,106 of 4,141
I still marvel at how beautiful music sounds out of this phone when paired with a pair of Sony Z7 headphones. The Sony high end headphones are synergistic match for the V20.
V20 is still tops for sound: when a Nougat upgrade killed my FM, I figured I'd audition all of the successors. I only kept the V30, for which I even bought a spare, which comes close to the V20 SQ - later V's apparently lost the B&O magic. I only use my V's for music, but phone'sters will cite other arguable advancements in later models, such as video capability (they keep getting better).

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #4,107 of 4,141
V20 is still tops for sound: when a Nougat upgrade killed my FM, I figured I'd audition all of the successors. I only kept the V30, for which I even bought a spare, which comes close to the V20 SQ - later V's apparently lost the B&O magic. I only use my V's for music, but phone'sters will cite other arguable advancements in later models, such as video capability (they keep getting better).
Where are you getting the batteries from out of interest? I am no long able to buy genuine LG ones in my country and the available ones on ebay and amazon are so terrible.

Dec 3, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #4,108 of 4,141
Where are you getting the batteries from out of interest? I am no long able to buy genuine LG ones in my country and the available ones on ebay and amazon are so terrible.
I buy what's on Amazon, and hope they last a year or two before blowing up like a puffer fish out of water. (That's swelling up, not exploding. So far.)

Still SOUNDS great, however.

I'm kinda wondering if it will handle a 1 TB micro-SSD.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,110 of 4,141
Hey all,
I hadn't been using my V20 as much, but wanted to get back to using it. I tried to do a search, but I could not find a result for my query.
My question is: What volume setting should I set on my Quad DAC so that when I use the 3.5mm adapter with RCA ends to connect to an electrostatic energizer, that I will get line-out volume so that I can then use the electrostatic amp to control the volume? I was guessing 60 or 65 out of the max of 75?
I am also getting the "external audio device is connected", although I was hoping it would trigger the high impedance mode. I know about the Y-cable trick, but didn't know if it was worth introducing into the chain, since I will be controlling the volume on the amp. It does beg an interesting question, which is that should the line-out volume setting be the same for the external audio device setting as it would be for the high-impedance setting?
Prior to this, I had been using a USB-C cable to connect the V20 to a Chord Mojo, which then went to the Stax amp, and then to my SR-009s. The Mojo can be set to line-out by pressing all three balls at the same time when powering on. I know this is likely a better setup, but sometimes when the Mojo battery is depleted, I want the option of being able to take advantage of the Quad DAC.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back