LG V20 Sound Quality
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #3,886 of 4,141
I read to trick the V20 into high impedance mode a +50ohms resistor is required on the right channel... ...on a 3.5mm to 2pin cable, you might only need to use tiny resistor itself, just bridge the pins on the right channel when inserting the cable, then plug in the iem/headphones in
I can confirm that bridging the 2 pin end of the right channel cable then plugging the cable in, then replace the iem back onto the 2 pin does indeed trigger high impedance mode on the v20. I was able to get x10 100k resistors on eBay delivered for 1 pound. Hope someone here finds this idea useful.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #3,887 of 4,141
I can confirm that bridging the 2 pin end of the right channel cable then plugging then cable in, then replace the iem back onto the 2 pin does indeed trigger high impedance mode on the v20. I was able to get x10 100k resistors on eBay delivered for 1 pound. Hope someone here finds this idea useful.
Could you elaborate the process for a noob? (I'm an extreme noob). Also does the high impedance mode change anything in terms of sound?

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #3,888 of 4,141
Main difference is volume, some say it's better quality but some disagree. I'm a noob also so Im not going to take a side.

Will try and make a quick video on YouTube showing the process.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #3,889 of 4,141
Cheap high impedance mode hack on two pin iem cable. I accept no liability for damaged incurred from following this video.

Please note I repeatedly say 100k when I should say 100ohm

Google photos video link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pizR7SrBN5GoW1pVA

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,892 of 4,141
advantages of the method I discovered are as follows:

Cheaper 10p (not 8.99 and fast delivery)
higher quality as no patch cable is needed
less to carry around.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #3,894 of 4,141
^
I sold my LG V20 when the V30 came out. I miss the 2nd display and replaceable batter on the V20. Good phone.

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #3,895 of 4,141
i still use my LG V20 but i rarely listen music to it since i bought a pioneer dap.
While it is great for 100$, i don't think it can compete with mojo. Only the price could compete.
The battery drains pretty quick now and there are no better ones to buy.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #3,896 of 4,141
i still use my LG V20 but i rarely listen music to it since i bought a pioneer dap.
While it is great for 100$, i don't think it can compete with mojo. Only the price could compete.
The battery drains pretty quick now and there are no better ones to buy.

I have had the mojo and to me the sq of V20 is better, completely ignoring price.

The battery drains fast? You can get a new battery for about $20, and you can replace it yourself.

There are better ones? There are always "better ones", no matter what you have. Always.

It may not sound as good as some daps, but am I going to carry a dap around when I have this? No thanks.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #3,897 of 4,141
I have had the mojo and to me the sq of V20 is better, completely ignoring price.

The battery drains fast? You can get a new battery for about $20, and you can replace it yourself.

There are better ones? There are always "better ones", no matter what you have. Always.

It may not sound as good as some daps, but am I going to carry a dap around when I have this? No thanks.
You're late :). You sound like one of the old people just learning about cell phones :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #3,899 of 4,141
maybe it sounds "better", meaning close, to mojo with cheap headphones. And at his price point, V20 certainly wins.
It still sounds good with many mid-end headphones, i have LCD2 fazor edition which doesn't need much amping, i like how they sound together. But i don't think V20 could overall compete with mojo in terms of power and sound quality.
Btw, i had the same discussion on fiio threads, people were very offended by the fact that i stated V20/V30 are better than e.g. x5iii and most of their daps except maybe x7ii and new M11.
So, yes, i appreciate the V series, they are good musical headphones, very good sound wise, i had, sold and recently bought again V30 but after turning to a good (expensive, that's true) dap, i cannot easily go back to V20.
About the battery, unfortunately most of the ones sold today do not have better life time. They are either broken or have other issue. But i'll look further.

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #3,900 of 4,141
maybe it sounds "better", meaning close, to mojo with cheap headphones. And at his price point, V20 certainly wins.
It still sounds good with many mid-end headphones, i have LCD2 fazor edition which doesn't need much amping, i like how they sound together. But i don't think V20 could overall compete with mojo in terms of power and sound quality.
Btw, i had the same discussion on fiio threads, people were very offended by the fact that i stated V20/V30 are better than e.g. x5iii and most of their daps except maybe x7ii and new M11.
So, yes, i appreciate the V series, they are good musical headphones, very good sound wise, i had, sold and recently bought again V30 but after turning to a good (expensive, that's true) dap, i cannot easily go back to V20.
About the battery, unfortunately most of the ones sold today do not have better life time. They are either broken or have other issue. But i'll look further.

I have had the mojo and I just call it like I see it. If I thought the mojo was so great I would still have it. I am not really interested in daps, finding them an inconvenient waste of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back