LG V20 Sound Quality
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #3,841 of 4,141
Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-23-35.png Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-24-33.png Screenshot_2019-03-11-18-26-28.png

My settings in USB Audio Player Pro: External Audio DEvice (triggered by connecting a 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced adapter), reduce amp by -3dB and Bit Perfect MQA. Playing on Noble K10, amazing sound from a second hand phone. Just make sure you delete all apps that are not for musing playing and deactivate all notifications for a blissful musical experience. The phone will also move faster and there's going to be plenty of room for your music :). While you're in tweaking mode, disable screen animations, too. Turn that old fellow into an absolute audio beast!

An impedance adapter example below. Go for the 75 Ohm unit, it will always trigger High Impedance Mode and it won't ruin sound too much if you chose to leave it inserted.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DUN...3d-4927-a4b8-926e35cfd2c8&transAbTest=ae803_4

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #3,842 of 4,141

My settings in USB Audio Player Pro: External Audio DEvice (triggered by connecting a 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced adapter), reduce amp by -3dB and Bit Perfect MQA. Playing on Noble K10, amazing sound from a second hand phone. Just make sure you delete all apps that are not for musing playing and deactivate all notifications for a blissful musical experience. The phone will also move faster and there's going to be plenty of room for your music :). While you're in tweaking mode, disable screen animations, too. Turn that old fellow into an absolute audio beast!

An impedance adapter example below. Go for the 75 Ohm unit, it will always trigger High Impedance Mode and it won't ruin sound too much if you chose to leave it inserted.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DUN...3d-4927-a4b8-926e35cfd2c8&transAbTest=ae803_4
Love it! Yeah I got mine second hand to but I rooted it and got rid of all the crap on it and it sounds wonderful

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #3,844 of 4,141
Struggling a bit to get the V20 to talk properly to my Chord Mojo. I'm using Jet AudioHD and also trying to get it to work properly with the Hiby music player app.
Outputting regular lossless 44.1kHz files and tried a few mp3/aac files as well, yet the power button is showing up as green (96kHz). I have Hiby settings on "Native" for USB output, while the Jet AudioHD app doesn't have any configurable USB output settings. So it seems the V20 is upsampling the files before outputting, very strange.

On the odd occasion when it has connected and registered as 44.1kHz, the music has had a very strange clicking/clipping sound. Anyone experiences anything like this? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #3,845 of 4,141
Actually, in the link I put in above, the testing shows that the DAC is getting utilized correctly for the following music player apps, based on recording outputs from them using audacity over the HP out (Daft Punk song with 88.2 KHz sounds). Check post #7 at http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/general/music-apps-using-dac-t3252596.

To recap for V20 owners benefit, here's the (known) music apps that fully use the DAC's capabilities in the V10, and may work the same on the V20 from the above link:
N7 Player (only works with the 10-band equaliser disabled)
ZPlayer
PlayerPro (but NOT with the DSP installed!)
Shuttle+
Blackplayer EX
Rocket Player FREE
Spotify (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Google Music (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Neutron Player (only with cat game installed - see later in the thread...)
Tidal
Pandora
Noozy
Pulsar Music Player Pro

Others, such as PowerAmp, re-sample before transport to DAC and many of us didn't get the default player app, thank to AT&T, etc.

Unfortunately, until someone retests using a similar source file on the V20 with an Audacity card, we are left with some guesswork, which is why I still ask if anyone is capable and planning on trying out some music player apps against source material that has sounds of greater than 24 KHz?

It would be great to at least check the list of apps known to fully utilize the DAC on the V10, but I have no such capacity myself.

Reading through this thread and I've got this far - does anyone know if this is a definitive list and if there have been updates to it? Such a long thread and I'm struggling to find the info I'm after!

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #3,846 of 4,141
Struggling a bit to get the V20 to talk properly to my Chord Mojo. I'm using Jet AudioHD and also trying to get it to work properly with the Hiby music player app.
Outputting regular lossless 44.1kHz files and tried a few mp3/aac files as well, yet the power button is showing up as green (96kHz). I have Hiby settings on "Native" for USB output, while the Jet AudioHD app doesn't have any configurable USB output settings. So it seems the V20 is upsampling the files before outputting, very strange.

On the odd occasion when it has connected and registered as 44.1kHz, the music has had a very strange clicking/clipping sound. Anyone experiences anything like this? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what

One of the very few ways to get the best quality out of android phones to external dac, is UAPP on bit perfect mode. They use their own drivers skipping android upsampling, it's instantly noticeable, sounds much fuller and hiss drops to zero. Money well spend, I have not been able to (also looking) get around android sound processing without it.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #3,847 of 4,141
Ah great news, I'll give that a try. Looks like the interface is a bit clunky but as long as it works well, I can live with that
Makes me wonder why, if they can figure it out, no other apps use a similar method to generate a bit perfect signal. I assume its been discussed ad nauseum though
Thanks for the advice

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #3,849 of 4,141
Yeah the problem is noone has been able to confirm this though. There is no Aptx indication like with all other aptx devices.
Its cool that you can hear difference though.
The AptX site clearly lists the V20 as being both AptX and AptX HD compatable as well ad several other Hi if sites that less you search which Bluetooth codecs work on which device...they all say it works with 3 bluetooth codecs including the AptX and AptX HD so backwards compadability should not even be an issue. Its the morons like the dude who claims you must see a special AptX sign to know you are using it, that set us back to the stone ages and his stupid post cost me a few hours of researching that cost me snagging a V30 and can now only find a V20, so it had better f'n work.

How is this guy questioning this seriously it says clearly right on the AptX website it works on both AptXnand AptX HD that it works on both plus one more???

My Defenetive Technology Symphony 1's only have AptX so this whole discussion angers me. Why would LG make an audio file grade phone and leave off the main, most common bluetooth codecs at the time...??
Remember in 2017 there was really only AptX headphones at the time with soon to follow AptX low atency LLAC and the Sony version??

Can we finally put does this V20 have AptX question to bed?

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #3,850 of 4,141
The AptX site clearly lists the V20 as being both AptX and AptX HD compatable as well ad several other Hi if sites that less you search which Bluetooth codecs work on which device...they all say it works with 3 bluetooth codecs including the AptX and AptX HD so backwards compadability should not even be an issue. Its the morons like the dude who claims you must see a special AptX sign to know you are using it, that set us back to the stone ages and his stupid post cost me a few hours of researching that cost me snagging a V30 and can now only find a V20, so it had better f'n work.

How is this guy questioning this seriously it says clearly right on the AptX website it works on both AptXnand AptX HD that it works on both plus one more???

My Defenetive Technology Symphony 1's only have AptX so this whole discussion angers me. Why would LG make an audio file grade phone and leave off the main, most common bluetooth codecs at the time...??
Remember in 2017 there was really only AptX headphones at the time with soon to follow AptX low atency LLAC and the Sony version??

Can we finally put does this V20 have AptX question to bed?

May 4, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #3,854 of 4,141
Try connecting thru a powered hub.
Play tru HibyMusic (its free).

May 4, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,855 of 4,141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back