LG V20 Sound Quality
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,926 of 4,139
I will, for sure. I don't think that V20 is a steal, there are just way too many small compromises in term of pure smartphone experience (waterproofing, battery life, size, camera, LG boot loop issues that could creep up out of nowhere...). But, take into account audio and it quickly not only becomes a good deal but an only option (ok, next to HTC 10 and about 3 times more expensive V30).
I am with you when it comes to trusting life style audio brands, however, B&O does make some nice products if value is of no concern. What I am trying to say is, they have the knowledge and I can't really see them ruining the hardware of V20.
Even after saying this, I will definitely aim for the non-branded V20.

I came from a Samsung S5 to the LG v20...so in every way the smartphone features and capabilities are just so much more usable and better in the LG V20 (except waterpoofing which isnt important to me). But this is not about the phone, but rather the audio features. I do not trust LG in regards to audio, but rather ESS. I really doubt LG had anything to do with the sound of the v20 Quad-DAC other than provide the necessary hooks in Android, and provide for the basic pin power lines needed to the chip. When the hi-fi DAC toggle is thrown, you are just listening to ESS, which happens to be implemented exclusively in the LG parts for now. My gut feel is that since the 9218 provides for custom filters (the v30 actually implements them via many choices), the B&O tweaking probably just implements more euphonic filtering choices. They are not modifying the IC. Also, prepackaging B&O headphones and sticking on emblems.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #2,927 of 4,139
I'm sure this has been mentioned at some point in this huge thread, but anyone have any experience outputting directly to a headphone amp from the jack with any success? Is it worthwhile in anyway? From what I gather if you plug in an aux. cable it should default to some type of line-out setting, correct?

I don't really plan to use it with an amp, but it would be nice to know that if I did it would actually be an upgrade over just outputting from the jack.
Makes no sense using headphone out of V20 into an amp. Use the USB C out of V20 into a DAC/amp like Hugo, mojo, etc. and get great sound comparable to better DAPs.

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,928 of 4,139
Makes no sense using headphone out of V20 into an amp. Use the USB C out of V20 into a DAC/amp like Hugo, mojo, etc. and get great sound comparable to better DAPs.

Headphone out of the V20 into my various amps sound pretty good with the different audio apps that I'm using. All depends what mood I'm in when choosing a player app. Just like when choosing an amp, IEM or HP. I mostly roll with Neutron and REEQ at the same time with the V20.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #2,929 of 4,139
Here we go, I have a pair of new headphones with low impedance (22), and they sound poorer than all I ever tried, there is no bass control, The cans are better with everything else but the v20
Why they did not think to put a power controller?

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,930 of 4,139
Got V20 without B&O logo. After a short session, it sounded very good (only tried low impedance). Some describe it as cold in the treble, I'd say it's even slightly harsh, but it doesn't damage the experience at all. I only noticed it with some mp3 songs, perhaps it's just very sensitive to compression (but I can only imagine that anything below 320kbps is not gonna play nicely).
Tried it with stock player and play music which sounded better, foobar also didn't damage the sound (I guess it uses the dac properly, could be wrong as I didn't directly compare).
Is there a final decision about which player does stuff the best? I don't want to experiment too much in these early stages, want to enjoy it the best way possible.

E: Spent some more time with V20. I love it. Surprised to learn about android problems with resampling, however, USB Audio Player Pro fixes this in a glorious way, up to the point where I can almost 100% guess whether dac is on using low impedance headphones. The thing is, Snapdragon dac is also a very powerful dac if implemented properly, and this is why it's very similar to quad dac when used with low impedance stuff. Too bad that it's mostly absolutely miss used with so many phones.
Looking forward to Android Oreo which has the potential to finally fix android's resampling garbage and then UAPP won't be a must.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,931 of 4,139
Glad it worked for you :)

Glad it worked for you :)

The best solution is to go to android settings and change android sampling rate to "variable rate". This way you could play both Redbook and Hi-res files at their default sampling rate.
I just tested this and it clearly works (sampling rate is on the bottom of the track)

So I did confirm with adb that often files are played bitperfectly with the UAPP. But after sitting with it for a while testing many files I have found it is not true often enough :frowning2:

I was listening to Tidal, and I was hearing the high frequency noise/hash that really distracts from the fidelity. Also a complete lack of smoothness. It sounded like Tidal. Turning on adb I see the output is going through the mixer again. That explains it!!! 48K.. I shut app, exit it..flush OS....restart ......it starts playing again at 44.1!!! It sounds good again of course. VERY frustrating. I then decided to do many many tests on internal files... and network files. All of them play natively perhaps 50% of the time.... it is like a craps-shoot --- you never know what you are going to get. I then find that I can force it to fail everytime if any other app outputs or even initializes sound ...like youtube, other multimedia apps or android OS system sounds. Basically.......as long as the environment is multitasking.... the mIxer can get inserted in the path and whatever media player is playing will use 48Khz. I then talked to developer and UAPP is using audiotrack. So the behavior of the v20 with any music player using audiotrack will be indeterminate, like UAPP. I still think UAPP handles network files and playback better than any of the others I have tried (still excellent)....but it doesnt provide any magic around the android Mixer when calling AudioTrack APIs. I wish it did of course.

Some of this really makes sense in a broad way, as the LG V20 can sound so amazingly good sometimes...and sometimes hash, shrill and thin. A big part of this is just simply luck and if the android mixer is intercepting the sound, resampling ......or if it is handed DIRECT to the V20 ESS DAC.....which happens in a android environment when nothing else has played for a while and just the player starts with a native file resolution. I have seen 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192 Khz all play natively and sound fantastic though UAPP local and network based FLAC. Nothing sounds as bad as 44.1 played as 48khz though.

I hope somebody can fix this problem ...and stop having the LG V20 ESS9218 so hobbled and disabled by Android 7.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,932 of 4,139
So I did confirm with adb that often files are played bitperfectly with the UAPP. But after sitting with it for a while testing many files I have found it is not true often enough :frowning2:

I was listening to Tidal, and I was hearing the high frequency noise/hash that really distracts from the fidelity. Also a complete lack of smoothness. It sounded like Tidal. Turning on adb I see the output is going through the mixer again. That explains it!!! 48K.. I shut app, exit it..flush OS....restart ......it starts playing again at 44.1!!! It sounds good again of course. VERY frustrating. I then decided to do many many tests on internal files... and network files. All of them play natively perhaps 50% of the time.... it is like a craps-shoot --- you never know what you are going to get. I then find that I can force it to fail everytime if any other app outputs or even initializes sound ...like youtube, other multimedia apps or android OS system sounds. Basically.......as long as the environment is multitasking.... the mIxer can get inserted in the path and whatever media player is playing will use 48Khz. I then talked to developer and UAPP is using audiotrack. So the behavior of the v20 with any music player using audiotrack will be indeterminate, like UAPP. I still think UAPP handles network files and playback better than any of the others I have tried (still excellent)....but it doesnt provide any magic around the android Mixer when calling AudioTrack APIs. I wish it did of course.

Some of this really makes sense in a broad way, as the LG V20 can sound so amazingly good sometimes...and sometimes hash, shrill and thin. A big part of this is just simply luck and if the android mixer is intercepting the sound, resampling ......or if it is handed DIRECT to the V20 ESS DAC.....which happens in a android environment when nothing else has played for a while and just the player starts with a native file resolution. I have seen 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192 Khz all play natively and sound fantastic though UAPP local and network based FLAC. Nothing sounds as bad as 44.1 played as 48khz though.

I hope somebody can fix this problem ...and stop having the LG V20 ESS9218 so hobbled and disabled by Android 7.

The best hope we can have is that in several months time Android O will fix all these resampling issues and we can just get back to musical bliss.

I have had my fair share of issues with UAPP too, namely, pops and variations in SQ when outputting to an external dac.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,933 of 4,139
I've had a few hours to play around with mine now and I share the sentiment that while the sound is very good overall (def. audiophile grade) some songs can sound overly sterile and cold (vocals especially). I've tested all of the modes, although not extensively. Seems like that's just the nature of the ESS dac's being used which I haven't had much experience with prior to today. They somehow manage to make music sound sterile but engaging at the same time lol. I'm sure I'll get used to it though

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #2,934 of 4,139
I have been using v20 for a month now and as soon as i got my hands on it, i installed viper4android, Poweramp Alpha 703 build and Rootlinux's High Impedance mod and MAN OH MAN the quality and the output that this device throws is MARVELOUS ..... am using my FIIO F9 earphones with Balanced Cable and FIIO L26 2.5 to 3.5 mm converter cable ....

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,935 of 4,139

Holy crap!!! You nailed it!! I noticed this too but didn't understand What was going on. So is there a fic for tidal? Should I start the uapp first then play other files?

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,936 of 4,139
I have been using v20 for a month now and as soon as i got my hands on it, i installed viper4android, Poweramp Alpha 703 build and Rootlinux's High Impedance mod and MAN OH MAN the quality and the output that this device throws is MARVELOUS ..... am using my FIIO F9 earphones with Balanced Cable and FIIO L26 2.5 to 3.5 mm converter cable ....
me too, but trying to fix the upscaling issue. Install uapp, you will notice a difference.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,937 of 4,139

Why didn't the idiots at lg sort all this out? it really pisses me off. No blaming Android, because they can fix the settings with root access like we do. Lazy Basterds! They know people are using Tidal Hifi for flac!!!

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,938 of 4,139
Holy ****!!! You nailed it!! I noticed this too but didn't understand What was going on. So is there a fic for tidal? Should I start the uapp first then play other files?

When I play anything though Tidal....I have never seen anything but 48Khz streams sent through to the v20 by the OS. I have never been able to find a time when it played native 44.1 streams. At least with UAPP, 44.1 streams occur maybe half the time. So much better chance of better fidelity through UAPP. Not a fix, but something in the meantime. I have sent comments to Tidal about how to bypass Android mixer.. and improve fidelity --- no reply from them :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,939 of 4,139
I have root, will try to figure it out. I wonder which file will handle this? Can you post the Adb results you're seeing to determine whether apps are using android mixer or not?

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,940 of 4,139
I have root, will try to figure it out. I wonder which file will handle this? Can you post the Adb results you're seeing to determine whether apps are using android mixer or not?

The problem is likely in the flinger/mixer routines that are part of the libraries used for sound. The mixer does whatever it wants really..based on source sample rate...what else is going on ...and some complex decisions that likely factor in barometric pressure and ambient temperature (LoL). Upsampling and downsampling are not done well. bottom line -- lots of ripple and noise.

When played correctly and sounding right the adb ouput with the following command is as such:

adb shell dumpsys media.audio_flinger

Output thread 0xf418f000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_25D
I/O handle: 605
TID: 22141
Standby: no
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
HAL frame count: 1344
HAL format: 0x5 (pcmfloat)
HAL buffer size: 10752 bytes
Channel count: 2
Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
Processing format: 0x5 (pcmfloat)
Processing frame size: 8 bytes
Pending config events: none
Output device: 0x4 (WIRED_HEADSET)
Input device: 0 (NONE)
Audio source: 0 (default)
Normal frame count: 1344
Last write occurred (msecs): 32
Total writes: 201
Delayed writes: 0
Blocked in write: yes
Suspend count: 0
Sink buffer : 0xf4243000
Mixer buffer: 0xf4712000
Effect buffer: 0xf51d8800
Fast track availMask=0xfe
Standby delay ns=1000000000
AudioStreamOut: 0xf66a6e98 flags 0x2001 (DIRECT|0x2000)
Stream volumes in dB: 0:-6.8, 1:-28, 2:-28, 3:-28, 4:-28, 5:-28, 6:0, 7:-28, 8:-23, 9:-96, 10:0, 11:-28, 12:0, 13:0
Normal mixer raw underrun counters: partial=0 empty=0
1 Tracks of which 1 are active
Name Active Client Type Fmt Chn mask Session fCount S F SRate L dB R dB Server Main buf Aux Buf Flags UndFrmCnt
none yes 20012 3 00000005 00000003 1129 7072 A 3 44100 0 0 00042480 0xf4243000 0x0 0x000 0
0 Effect Chains

But a few moments later --- at seemingly random intervals ….The sound somehow initializes different….and Android settles down to play it like this …and it sounds terrible (same exact track):

Library volume_listener
Volume listener for notification / Qualcomm Technologies Inc
UUID: 0b776dde-0590-11e5-81ba-0025b32654a0
TYPE: 0b776dde-0590-11e5-81ba-0025b32654a0
apiVersion: 00020000
flags: 00400280
Volume listener for voice call / Qualcomm Technologies Inc
UUID: 0ace5c08-0590-11e5-ae9e-0025b32654a0
TYPE: 0ace5c08-0590-11e5-ae9e-0025b32654a0
Volume listener for alarm / Qualcomm Technologies Inc
UUID: 09f303e2-0590-11e5-8fdb-0025b32654a0
TYPE: 09f303e2-0590-11e5-8fdb-0025b32654a0
Volume listener for ring / Qualcomm Technologies Inc
UUID: 0956df94-0590-11e5-bdbe-0025b32654a0
TYPE: 0956df94-0590-11e5-bdbe-0025b32654a0
Volume listener for Music / Qualcomm Technologies Inc.
UUID: 08b8b058-0590-11e5-ac71-0025b32654a0
TYPE: 08b8b058-0590-11e5-ac71-0025b32654a0
Library audio_pre_processing
Noise Suppression / Qualcomm Fluence
UUID: 1d97bb0b-9e2f-4403-9ae3-58c2554306f8
TYPE: 58b4b260-8e06-11e0-aa8e-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00000203
Acoustic Echo Canceler / Qualcomm Fluence
UUID: 0f8d0d2a-59e5-45fe-b6e4-248c8a799109
TYPE: 7b491460-8d4d-11e0-bd61-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00000203
Library offload_bundle
(no effects)
Library proxy
Visualizer / The Android Open Source Project
UUID: 1d0a1a53-7d5d-48f2-8e71-27fbd10d842c
TYPE: e46b26a0-dddd-11db-8afd-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00400008
Insert Preset Reverb / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: f3e178d2-ebcb-408e-8357-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 47382d60-ddd8-11db-bf3a-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00400048
Auxiliary Preset Reverb / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: 1b78f587-6d1c-422e-8b84-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 47382d60-ddd8-11db-bf3a-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00400001
Insert Environmental Reverb / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: b707403a-a1c1-4291-9573-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: c2e5d5f0-94bd-4763-9cac-4e234d06839e
Auxiliary Environmental Reverb / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: 48404ac9-d202-4ccc-bf84-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: c2e5d5f0-94bd-4763-9cac-4e234d06839e
flags: 00400001
Equalizer / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: c8e70ecd-48ca-456e-8a4f-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 0bed4300-ddd6-11db-8f34-0002a5d5c51b
Qualcomm Technologies Virtualizer / Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
UUID: d3467faa-acc7-4d34-acaf-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 37cc2c00-dddd-11db-8577-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00400290
Qualcomm Technologies Bass Boost / Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
UUID: 14804144-a5ee-4d24-aa88-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 0634f220-ddd4-11db-a0fc-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00400290
Library loudness_enhancer
Loudness Enhancer / The Android Open Source Project
UUID: fa415329-2034-4bea-b5dc-5b381c8d1e2c
TYPE: fe3199be-aed0-413f-87bb-11260eb63cf1
flags: 00000008
Library downmix
Multichannel Downmix To Stereo / The Android Open Source Project
UUID: 93f04452-e4fe-41cc-91f9-e475b6d1d69f
TYPE: 381e49cc-a858-4aa2-87f6-e8388e7601b2
flags: 00000008
Library visualizer_hw
(no effects)
Library visualizer_sw
(no effects)
Library qcreverb
(no effects)
Library qcvirt
(no effects)
Library qcbassboost
(no effects)
Library reverb
(no effects)
Library bundle
Volume / NXP Software Ltd.
UUID: 119341a0-8469-11df-81f9-0002a5d5c51b
TYPE: 09e8ede0-ddde-11db-b4f6-0002a5d5c51b
flags: 00000050
Clients:
pid: 20012
Notification Clients:
pid: 915
pid: 943
pid: 1571
pid: 2494
pid: 2975
pid: 3312
pid: 3409
pid: 3482
pid: 8883
pid: 10381
pid: 10401
pid: 14035
pid: 18631
pid: 20012
Global session refs:
session pid count
1137 20012 1
Hardware status: 0
Standby Time mSec: 3000

Output thread 0xf5183840 type 0 (MIXER):
Thread name: AudioOut_D
I/O handle: 13
TID: 1382
Standby: yes
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
HAL frame count: 192
HAL format: 0x1 (pcm16)
HAL buffer size: 768 bytes
Output device: 0 (NONE)
Normal frame count: 960
Last write occurred (msecs): 2136471
Total writes: 3235
Blocked in write: no
Sink buffer : 0xf5d4b000
Mixer buffer: 0xf5d49000
Effect buffer: 0xf5d44000
Standby delay ns=3000000000
AudioStreamOut: 0xf66a5998 flags 0x6 (PRIMARY|FAST)
Thread throttle time (msecs): 0
AudioMixer tracks: 0x00000000
Master mono: off
FastMixer command=COLD_IDLE writeSequence=32494 framesWritten=3119424
numTracks=1 writeErrors=0 underruns=14 overruns=6
sampleRate=48000 frameCount=192 measuredWarmup=15.3 ms, warmupCycles=6
mixPeriod=4.00 ms
Simple moving statistics over last 3.4 seconds:
wall clock time in ms per mix cycle:
mean=4.00 min=1.31 max=6.70 stddev=0.17
raw CPU load in us per mix cycle:
mean=163 min=0 max=477 stddev=62
Fast tracks: sMaxFastTracks=8 activeMask=0x1
Index Active Full Partial Empty Recent Ready
0 yes 810 0 0 full 1152
1 no 0 0 0 full 0
2 no 0 0 0 full 0
3 no 0 0 0 full 0
4 no 0 0 0 full 0
5 no 0 0 0 full 0
6 no 0 0 0 full 0
7 no 0 0 0 full 0
Stream volumes in dB: 0:0, 1:-22, 2:-4.5, 3:0, 4:-24, 5:-35, 6:0, 7:-12, 8:-6, 9:0, 10:0, 11:0, 12:0, 13:0
0 Tracks
0 Effect Chains

Output thread 0xf4e037c0 type 0 (MIXER):
Thread name: AudioOut_15
I/O handle: 21
TID: 1384
Standby: no
HAL frame count: 1920
HAL buffer size: 7680 bytes
Processing format: 0x1 (pcm16)
Processing frame size: 4 bytes
Output device: 0x4 (WIRED_HEADSET)
Normal frame count: 1920
Last write occurred (msecs): 25
Total writes: 39452
Blocked in write: yes
Sink buffer : 0xf5d4d000
Mixer buffer: 0xf5514000
Effect buffer: 0xf5d4f000
AudioStreamOut: 0xf66a5a08 flags 0x8 (DEEP_BUFFER)
Thread throttle time (msecs): 400
AudioMixer tracks: 0x00000001
FastMixer not initialized
Stream volumes in dB: 0:-6.8, 1:-28, 2:-28, 3:-28, 4:-28, 5:-28, 6:0, 7:-28, 8:-23, 9:-96, 10:0, 11:-28, 12:0, 13:0
1 Tracks of which 1 are active
Name Active Client Type Fmt Chn mask Session fCount S F SRate L dB R dB Server Main buf Aux Buf Flags UndFrmCnt
0 yes 20012 3 00000005 00000003 1137 7072 A 3 44100 0 0 00C22CF8 0xf5d4d000 0x0 0x000 1768
0 Effect Chains

Output thread 0xf4c83d40 type 0 (MIXER):
Thread name: AudioOut_1D
I/O handle: 29
TID: 1388
Standby: yes
HAL frame count: 768
HAL buffer size: 3072 bytes
Output device: 0 (NONE)
Normal frame count: 1152
Last write occurred (msecs): 9394420
Total writes: 0
Blocked in write: no
Sink buffer : 0xf51e5800
Mixer buffer: 0xf51e3000
Effect buffer: 0xf5d74400
AudioStreamOut: 0xf66a5b20 flags 0 (NONE)
Thread throttle time (msecs): 0
AudioMixer tracks: 0x00000000
FastMixer command=COLD_IDLE writeSequence=0 framesWritten=0
numTracks=0 writeErrors=0 underruns=0 overruns=0
sampleRate=0 frameCount=0 measuredWarmup=0 ms, warmupCycles=0
mixPeriod=nan ms
No FastMixer statistics available currently
Fast tracks: sMaxFastTracks=8 activeMask=0
Index Active Full Partial Empty Recent Ready
0 no 0 0 0 full 0
1 no 0 0 0 full 0
2 no 0 0 0 full 0
3 no 0 0 0 full 0
4 no 0 0 0 full 0
5 no 0 0 0 full 0
6 no 0 0 0 full 0
7 no 0 0 0 full 0
Stream volumes in dB: 0:0, 1:-22, 2:-4.5, 3:0, 4:-24, 5:-35, 6:0, 7:-12, 8:-6, 9:0, 10:0, 11:0, 12:0, 13:0
0 Tracks
0 Effect Chains

Reroute submix audio module:
route[0] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[1] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[2] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[3] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[4] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[5] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[6] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]
route[7] rate in=0 out=0, addr=[]