LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #1,066 of 4,141

The audio is still "Hi-Res", but down sampled to 48kHz.

PowerAMP Alpha 704 does use the ESS Sabre Hi-Fi Quad DAC, but just doesn't display it...it displays the Snapdragon processor instead.
This is also the case with the V10.

To test it, just turn the H-Fi DAC on and off and you'll notice a slight pause...the audio should also be clearer with more dynamic range if you are using a good set of headphones/IEMs.

Oh ok. I don't care about downsampling b/c I downsample ALL my Hi-Res anyway cuz I know it doesn't change the sound AT ALL. It just takes up less space. The great master used on that Hi-Res album/track is what matters, and that won't be affected unless you downsample to mp3, which I'd never do. lol

Interesting dragion. Now is that ALSO the case for REGULAR Poweramp too? Please confirm. I noticed a pause on my cousin's V20 when switching in regular Poweramp, so I'm guessing yes. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,068 of 4,141

Oh ok. I don't care about downsampling b/c I downsample ALL my Hi-Res anyway cuz I know it doesn't change the sound AT ALL. It just takes up less space. The great master used on that Hi-Res album/track is what matters, and that won't be affected unless you downsample to mp3, which I'd never do. lol

Interesting dragion. Now is that ALSO the case for REGULAR Poweramp too? Please confirm. I noticed a pause on my cousin's V20 when switching in regular Poweramp, so I'm guessing yes. 

I personally don't have the official released version of the PowerAMP app, so I can't give you a direct answer...I assume that if the same trigger is happening on the REGULAR app then it must also be true. 

I would think that the down sampling would basically effect the audio when used with real high fidelity headphones that would be able to detect the difference...and I agree it is more important about the mastering of the audio.
Bad audio is still bad audio no matter how high the bitrate is...

I can tell the difference though from 48kHz and 96kHz, but a bit hard to differentiate from 96kHz to 192kHz.
Don't even talk about MP3 compared to FLAC/DSD/ape....

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,069 of 4,141
  ok im on 704 alpha, and it does fail when you put on high res. But it still sounds amazing with dac on. interesting

As I mentioned, 48kHz is "still" considered as Hi-Res audio...
The Hi-Fi Quad DAC processing will still be utilized and be better compared to the Snapdragon processor...even if you aren't listening to Hi-Res audio. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,070 of 4,141

I personally don't have the official released version of the PowerAMP app, so I can't give you a direct answer...I assume that if the same trigger is happening on the REGULAR app then it must also be true. 

I would think that the down sampling would basically effect the audio when used with real high fidelity headphones that would be able to detect the difference...and I agree it is more important about the mastering of the audio.
Bad audio is still bad audio no matter how high the bitrate is...

I can tell the difference though from 48kHz and 96kHz, but a bit hard to differentiate from 96kHz to 192kHz.
Don't even talk about MP3 compared to FLAC/DSD/ape....

Oh ok. Well until someone can prove otherwise, I'll assume that both my cousin and I are NOT insane as we did hear the same pause and QUALITY DIFFERENCE as you had on the V20 using regular Poweramp. lol But yes I agree, must be true too on regular Poweramp. 

Nahh man. I've talked to ENOUGH people on here who are much more knowledgeable than even I am, and they've told me that there have been studies on ppl proving you can't tell a difference above mp3. Those who say they do are (statistically) found to be guessing or lying. I thought that as well but the fact is the HUMAN ear can only hear so much, so even on the best super pricey headphones you're only going to hear up to about 20kHz and that's it. The higher numbers like 24/96 and 24/192 are used to market Hi-Res and it WORKS on a lot of people, but not on me. lol I know the truth, and that saves me space and money too. With TVs that stuff does in fact matter, but not with sound above mp3-grade. In some cases (usually rare), the Hi-Res may not sound as good as like the CD version, or no different at all. I try to look for reviews on albums before I buy, but it's so rare that this happens that you really don't have to worry about it. I just look for reviews and if I don't see any saying the CD is better, then I assume the Hi-Res one will be better. 

Well that's the thing............have you ever done a blind ABX test on yourself using your PC? I have, and like everyone else, I failed it miserably. It plays the same song but at 2 diff resolutions and you have to guess which one is which MULTIPLE TIMES. You HAVE to get a score of like 70% or better or else it's a fail. lol And I'm talking about like 48/24 vs. 96/24 etc, not the (easier) mp3 vs. CD-Quality one. lol You should try it and see. But I've yet to read about anyone who says they can tell the difference AND passes the test. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,071 of 4,141
  sorry im on alpha 703. So it doesnt use the quad dac? What version of poweramp does use the quad dac?

Either version should use the ESS quad dac. Just like other music apps (Neutron, UAPP, etc.) can also use it.

As for Poweramp, the main difference is the Play Store version still has the old coding. If you look at 'What's New' for the trial version (last updated a couple months ago; the paid unlocker app is still separate) it shows version 589. The Alpha version uses different coding and is up in the 700s.

I tried both and the Alpha definitely sounded better to me but I'm guessing the developer won't replace the standard version until they're ready. Looks like they're still working out the hi-res kinks, bugs, and display errors (such as showing the word Snapdragon on V series phones even when the ESS chip is enabled and in use).

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,072 of 4,141

Either version should use the ESS quad dac. Just like other music apps (Neutron, UAPP, etc.) can also use it.

As for Poweramp, the main difference is the Play Store version still has the old coding. If you look at 'What's New' for the trial version (last updated a couple months ago; the paid unlocker app is still separate) it shows version 589. The Alpha version uses different coding and is up in the 700s.

I tried both and the Alpha definitely sounded better to me but I'm guessing the developer won't replace the standard version until they're ready. Looks like they're still working out the hi-res kinks, bugs, and display errors (such as showing the word Snapdragon on V series phones even when the ESS chip is enabled and in use).

Hey gr8, 

How ya been? 

If I try to import the "settings file" from regular Poweramp onto Poweramp Alpha 704, will it work??

Interesting. So what is the DOWNSIDE of using Poweramp Alpha 704, if any? It sounds like an experimental version of Poweramp, which means bugs, etc. So I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, esp since I use an external amp/DAC anyway. 

I don't have the V20, but I would be open to switching IF it meant the bugs were seemingly worked out (at least any major bugs). 

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,073 of 4,141

Hey gr8, 

How ya been? 

If I try to import the "settings file" from regular Poweramp onto Poweramp Alpha 704, will it work??

Interesting. So what is the DOWNSIDE of using Poweramp Alpha 704, if any? It sounds like an experimental version of Poweramp, which means bugs, etc. So I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, esp since I use an external amp/DAC anyway. 

I don't have the V20, but I would be open to switching IF it meant the bugs were seemingly worked out (at least any major bugs). 

Thanks.

I'm hanging in there RS2K5; thx 4 asking.

Never tried importing Alpha settings into regular Poweramp so no idea if settings are core compatible. I started with the Alpha first but installed the regular trial just to see if they sounded different (Alpha definitely sounded better). IIRC, the Alpha has some additional menus and the UI has been modified a bit (like similar EQ settings except on-screen dials in different places). The only bug I experience (other than what shows on the hi-res setting screen) is missing album art. That part of my screen is blank when I start playback then album covers display after the next track starts (or if I skip to it). Only a cosmetic bug and I've had zero other issues with Poweramp Alpha.

I'm also still on the V10 for now. The V20's dac UI and ESS implementation are too similar (imo) to warrant paying for an upgrade. Plus the V10 still has some advantages like a discrete amp chip and lower noise floor (also added wireless charging to mine; V20 will more difficult due to the metal back). Plus I've read LG is scheduled to release Android 7.0 for the V10 early next year.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,074 of 4,141
One thing I'm not seeing on my PowerAmp (Alpha703) is the "Experimental Hi-Res Output" setting... Had this on the Note7, and could def tell better SQ with it engaged, but this setting isn't showing up on the V20....?

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,075 of 4,141
Oh ok. Well until someone can prove otherwise, I'll assume that both my cousin and I are NOT insane as we did hear the same pause and QUALITY DIFFERENCE as you had on the V20 using regular Poweramp. lol But yes I agree, must be true too on regular Poweramp. 

Nahh man. I've talked to ENOUGH people on here who are much more knowledgeable than even I am, and they've told me that there have been studies on ppl proving you can't tell a difference above mp3. Those who say they do are (statistically) found to be guessing or lying. I thought that as well but the fact is the HUMAN ear can only hear so much, so even on the best super pricey headphones you're only going to hear up to about 20kHz and that's it. The higher numbers like 24/96 and 24/192 are used to market Hi-Res and it WORKS on a lot of people, but not on me. lol I know the truth, and that saves me space and money too. With TVs that stuff does in fact matter, but not with sound above mp3-grade. In some cases (usually rare), the Hi-Res may not sound as good as like the CD version, or no different at all. I try to look for reviews on albums before I buy, but it's so rare that this happens that you really don't have to worry about it. I just look for reviews and if I don't see any saying the CD is better, then I assume the Hi-Res one will be better. 

Well that's the thing............have you ever done a blind ABX test on yourself using your PC? I have, and like everyone else, I failed it miserably. It plays the same song but at 2 diff resolutions and you have to guess which one is which MULTIPLE TIMES. You HAVE to get a score of like 70% or better or else it's a fail. lol And I'm talking about like 48/24 vs. 96/24 etc, not the (easier) mp3 vs. CD-Quality one. lol You should try it and see. But I've yet to read about anyone who says they can tell the difference AND passes the test. 

I have not done the ABX test...but I have tested myself with a couple of friends playing different formats of certain songs that we all know very well and I didn't get all of them correct but about 75% of them.
This was tested via an actual sound system with MP3's in both 192 and 320. CD's, SACD, DVD-Audio and Turntable.
Nothing scientific, just for fun.

Maybe after all these years of listening to higher quality audio has trained my ears...who knows.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,076 of 4,141

I'm hanging in there RS2K5; thx 4 asking.

Never tried importing Alpha settings into regular Poweramp so no idea if settings are core compatible. I started with the Alpha first but installed the regular trial just to see if they sounded different (Alpha definitely sounded better). IIRC, the Alpha has some additional menus and the UI has been modified a bit (like similar EQ settings except on-screen dials in different places). The only bug I experience (other than what shows on the hi-res setting screen) is missing album art. That part of my screen is blank when I start playback then album covers display after the next track starts (or if I skip to it). Only a cosmetic bug and I've had zero other issues with Poweramp Alpha.

I'm also still on the V10 for now. The V20's dac UI and ESS implementation are too similar (imo) to warrant paying for an upgrade. Plus the V10 still has some advantages like a discrete amp chip and lower noise floor (also added wireless charging to mine; V20 will more difficult due to the metal back). Plus I've read LG is scheduled to release Android 7.0 for the V10 early next year.

RS2K5........nice. lol 

YW. 

Ok. I may try it on my cousin's when I see him next week. 

Additional menus? Modified UI? Ok. 

Missing album art?? Hmm. That I don't like. lol But it's not a big deal I guess if it sounds better, and if it resolves itself quickly. I'm glad that's the only one. So are you saying it sounds more clearer? Louder? How exactly is it better? 

I C. Well I'd heard many good things about the V10, so I could understand that. Well I'm glad the V10 is getting Nougat relatively soon. The V20 is quite impressive. I have the Sony Xperia X Performance now. If the V20 came in a smaller non-phablet version too, I prob would've switched over. I am not so crazy about Sony's Xperia line these days, as well as how they treat (or mistreat really) their U.S. customers like me, so it's not definite but VERY likely that I'll be getting either the HTC 11 next year or else the LG G6. Just depends. I currently use the Oppo HA-2 portable amp/DAC so even though the sound is good on my XP I don't think it's as great as Sony's Xperia line used to be in this dept. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,077 of 4,141
I have not done the ABX test...but I have tested myself with a couple of friends playing different formats of certain songs that we all know very well and I didn't get all of them correct but about 75% of them.
This was tested via an actual sound system with MP3's in both 192 and 320. CD's, SACD, DVD-Audio and Turntable.
Nothing scientific, just for fun.

Maybe after all these years of listening to higher quality audio has trained my ears...who knows.

That's cool. There could be different reasons for that, but it's not something to discuss here. 

I guess anything's possible! lol

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,078 of 4,141
RS2k5,
As a "power" user of Poweramp for years now, and a beta tester, I agree with gr8--the Alpha build is the best yet. EQ settings/SQ output is very good. I like the tabs, layout/design much better (after getting used to them). Actually I've experienced less "bugs" in the Alpha vs than any previous builds: less stuttering, faster implementation, fewer lockups, etc. And I've been using paid full version for years too, on 4 different phones. Try it! It's truly a great app, I have tried nearly every music player app there is, and nothing works better for me personally. Can't prove it with tests, but the sound output is also the best to my ears. I know some seem to dislike using EQs, but Im a firm believer in "fixing" each speaker/headphone/iem with the best curve profile to suit my tastes. Being able to save a profile for every EQ setting is wonderful: I have over a dozen profiles for various uses, as well as BT outputs for the car system and BT speakers that I build. EQ can be essential for tailoring the output to the environment, not just device. Having separate 10 band EQ as well as Bass/Treble pots is also a useful touch.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #1,080 of 4,141
RS2k5,
As a "power" user of Poweramp for years now, and a beta tester, I agree with gr8--the Alpha build is the best yet. EQ settings/SQ output is very good. I like the tabs, layout/design much better (after getting used to them). Actually I've experienced less "bugs" in the Alpha vs than any previous builds: less stuttering, faster implementation, fewer lockups, etc. And I've been using paid full version for years too, on 4 different phones. Try it! It's truly a great app, I have tried nearly every music player app there is, and nothing works better for me personally. Can't prove it with tests, but the sound output is also the best to my ears. I know some seem to dislike using EQs, but Im a firm believer in "fixing" each speaker/headphone/iem with the best curve profile to suit my tastes. Being able to save a profile for every EQ setting is wonderful: I have over a dozen profiles for various uses, as well as BT outputs for the car system and BT speakers that I build. EQ can be essential for tailoring the output to the environment, not just device. Having separate 10 band EQ as well as Bass/Treble pots is also a useful touch.

Why do I feel like a beeping robot when I see that new version of my username? lol

I see. Very interesting FSTOP! I had the one I think beta version of Poweramp back around Feb of this year. It was kinda buggy, so I just switched back to regular Poweramp. 

I've obtained a copy of Alpha 704 Poweramp. I will install it and test it out this weekend. Does ANYONE here have any idea when the final version will get released? 

Yeah me too. I've been using it for years. It OWNS over all the rest!

That's cool. I used to do that, but to me Flat is usually the way to go. The only exception is with overly bassier tracks.........I have 2 of my own custom EQ presets to resolve that though. 

Yeah......... that's arguably my FAVORITE feature of Poweramp.......that you can save your own custom settings AND back them up too, which I do. Wow a dozen? lol

Yeah I think that's part of the reason why Poweramp sounds so amazing. It has a full 10-band EQ spectrum vs. the usual 5 or 7 bands .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back