LG V20 Sound Quality
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #3,393 of 4,139
According to my measurements upsample / downsample by LG stock player and others (e.g. Musicolet, Foobar, Folder Player, Hyby) do not cause any measurable difference on the audio output.
As already said by many, often the higher quality of highres music comes from better recordings, not from the hi res part.
So downsampling shouldn't be a problem,
Upsampling from 44.1 to 48 kHz also does not cause measurable differences.

And I am pretty sure that if you cannot measure it with RMAA, for sure you cannot hear it (at least, I can't).

The only thing which causes nasty audible and measurable differences is the non flat frequency response (rolled off highs) of almost all players with wav files, and of AIMP with 44.1 kHz mp3.

Also rocket player audio is softer and less dynamic, and measurability worse; the probable cause may be that it just does not use the DAC.

So my advice would be : for flac, ogg and mp3 LG, Musicolet, Hyby, Foobar, Folder player are equally good.
AIMP in my opinion has the best UI (multiple playlist, automatic bookmarking etc), but has the roll-off issue with mp3.
I didn't measure UAPP and Neutron, but if any difference exists I would expect to find it in the frequency response curve.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,396 of 4,139
The lg player unfortunately does not distinguish the folders from the sub folders, but instead playerpro seems to me that the sound is just as good as the player lg,
then I like the interface and I would be very pleased to read your opinion on playerpro.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3,397 of 4,139
I got my second V20. I'll do some tests this week-end. Right now I'm testing it with my HiFiMan 400s, and it sounds pretty amazing, if a bit underpowered, when compared to the Fiio.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,399 of 4,139
I'm happy to report Universal Audio Player Pro (UAPP) experimental, with the code to access the LG V20 DAC, works flawlessly, unlike other players.

Here's the proof. A pink noise 24/96 file captured on my computer. Full frequency reponse to 48KHz. No downsampling at all.

LG V20.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #3,402 of 4,139
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,404 of 4,139
Did you trick the phone into Aux or High Impedence mode? I didn't have any trouble getting loud enough when I did that.
Yes, I did. What I noticed was reduced bass response and dynamics. The phone felt strained. It was loud, but a bit distorted.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,405 of 4,139
I contacted Davy and he sent the hi-res driver APK . I downloaded it, but my V20 won't allow me to extract or open the file. The messages I got were, cannot extract files, and from downloads, cannot load content at the moment. I checked my settings and I have the permission to install apps from sources other than Google play store enabled. Anyone have any idea what I need to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back