LG V20 Sound Quality
Sep 25, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #241 of 4,141
I wonder if LG has changed Android's up-sampling of audio since the phone is meant for audiophiles.

When using an external USB DAC with Android one of the annoyances is that Android seems to up-sample the audio to the max bitrate of the DAC. As an example on my DragonFly Red it converts everything to 96kHz. Generally it's better to let the DAC receive unaltered audio as the conversion process itself involves super sampling to smooth out the analog signal. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #242 of 4,141
Just because you don't agree with a given measured data based on your subjective evaluation doesn't meant it's wrong or incorrect. As I said you can just ignore it and be on your merry way to enjoy said component. However if you contest such data based on technical merits that is a different conversation altogether.

Its not about agreeing with measurements. Its about the difficulties trying to compare products measured on different scales. In those cases, the numbers don't mean much (like shopping for the brightest TV based solely on specs from the manufacturer instead of reviewer NITS testing).

Not to mention, how many of any given specs are actually audible? Can anyone actually hear a headphone reach it's supposed 120khz max spec?

Beyond that, the only way to avoid bias and placebo is with blind testing. However, true blind tests are among the most difficult to set up.

So, instead of shopping by numbers, those who are unable to try equipment before buying come to places like Head-fi for impressions by users who have actually used the equipment. Those users can also compare against other pieces they have heard. Still not 100% concise since we all hear differently and have different tastes, but at least its one way to make a more informed decision.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #243 of 4,141
No and most likely you wouldn't be able tell apart the 2 different DACs in your V10 if it was switched on and off by a different person, but look at that thread.
wink.gif

Funny, i showed my wife how to flip the DAC on my V10, and did just that.  Yes, i could easily hear the difference between the two systems (HD650 and LCD-2).  What's your point?

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #244 of 4,141
  Funny, i showed my wife how to flip the DAC on my V10, and did just that.  Yes, i could easily hear the difference between the two systems (HD650 and LCD-2).  What's your point?

The V10 can push those? Dayum!

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #245 of 4,141
I can hear the difference with the DAC's, in the v10 and could pick them as well.
But not with the stock iem's, so much.

If you use something that reveals the differences then there very clear, the sound becomes more high end oriented, and had a much better tonal quality.
Every now and then I don't have hi-fi everywhere active, and I can pick up I'm listening to the crappy DAC.
Turning on the better DAC is fantastic.

With headphones that will trigger the high gain, the hi-fi switch will toggle the amplifier as well, so the difference will jump out at you in power settings, as well as DACs switching, much easier to tell now.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #247 of 4,141
I tend to discard people who suggest that they can tell differences in SQ of different cables/DAC/FLACvsV0 (among mid-century to hi-end), cos I know their explanations are bs, and made up just to justify their placebos. And none of those people can prove by blind testing or back up their claims with scientific evidences. But you know? It's HeadFi, you cannot be an audio enthusiast if you rely on evidences.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #248 of 4,141
I tend to discard people who suggest that they can tell differences in SQ of different cables/DAC/FLACvsV0 (among mid-century to hi-end), cos I know their explanations are bs, and made up just to justify their placebos. And none of those people can prove by blind testing or back up their claims with scientific evidences. But you know? It's HeadFi, you cannot be an audio enthusiast if you rely on evidences.

It is this type of thinking that leads to so many problems. Nothing exists unless you've seen it. Nothing is real unless you have experienced it. Anyone who has must somehow explain it and prove it to you knowing that you won't believe it anyway.

Thankfully there are other trains of thought. People who don't treat others as something to be discarded.

I still frequent Head-fi with the feeling that I can learn much from others' experiences. I don't so easily 'discard people' (as you say) but, lately, I am finding it more difficult to stay on Head-fi without blocking out such noise.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #249 of 4,141

Oh dear, whether true or not, this type of thinking isn't gonna make you any friends lol.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #250 of 4,141
Everyone here seems to speak about expectation bias. You want to hear a difference, you will hear it. But expectation bias works in both ways. You want to hear NO difference - you most likely won't. An open mind without expectations is better.

I am using an input switcher with rudimentary volume matched output and was so often very surprised. The huge differences I thought I heard when slow switching became either non-existing or much smaller when live switching sources or DACs....

Cheers.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #251 of 4,141

​You do not appear to have a good understanding of the subject.  I have done plenty of blind listening tests in my career designing audio equipment and things you discount do sound different.  It's how the industry finds out what really matters.  DACs do, although their implementation has a bigger influence.  Cables do, but often not for the reason people think.  Unless it is an impedance issue when carrying current to a non resistive load like a speaker, or capacitance affecting a noticeable output impedance, it is usually an EMI difference they are making.

I know you are probably trolling, but incase you are not, open your mind before we discount you.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #252 of 4,141
IMHO I believe it works both way too. However, that's why people create and use blind testing in order to dismiss those expectations bias so we can have a pure objective tests. People can post their review whatever they would like since it's subjective, but claiming facts is different story tho.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #253 of 4,141
​You do not appear to have a good understanding of the subject.  I have done plenty of blind listening tests in my career designing audio equipment and things you discount do sound different.  It's how the industry finds out what really matters.  DACs do, although their implementation has a bigger influence.  Cables do, but often not for the reason people think.  Unless it is an impedance issue when carrying current to a non resistive load like a speaker, or capacitance affecting a noticeable output impedance, it is usually an EMI difference they are making.

I know you are probably trolling, but incase you are not, open your mind before we discount you.

This. I'm very open minded to learn. However, when some people talking about audio cable and mention the electromagnetic, I know where this conversation will end up. Let's meet again in Sound Science sub, where your value of input from a career of audio design can be evaluated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back