LG V20 Sound Quality
Apr 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #2,401 of 4,141
I agree this. Tonight I have compared the two at a friends house. My reference headphone were a AKG K7XX. Although I liked the sound, the treble region just doesnt make it for me with v20.

Can you be more specific or elaborate perhaps because i am planning on getting AKG K702 .I got inspired by listening through AKG K240 on V20 Mellow transparent full sound that is studded with details..
Per my knowlwdge AKG k702 is a proportionally incremental version of K240 .
FAQ: Any music player other than LGs Own Fails to bring out the sound to the fullest .

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,402 of 4,141
Can you be more specific or elaborate perhaps because i am planning on getting AKG K702 .I got inspired by listening through AKG K240 on V20 Mellow transparent full sound that is studded with details..
FAQ: Any music player other than LGs Own Fails to bring out the sound to the fullest .

This may be an indicator that one of my worries is happening:

As more and more headphones are having the bass boosted above neutral, the electronics is being tuned to be brighter to balance this out.Then when you take an unboosted haedphone like AKG the result is over cooked.

I don't mean the electronics has a treble boost or bass cut. Just that the top end is brightened by other means.

Pity if this is happening. Beats and Harman may be leading us away from fidelity (Harman room gain is not intentionally doing this but it end up being the result, as more brand follow the Olive curve)

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #2,403 of 4,141

First of all, K702 and K240 are different designs.

K240 has at least 5 varieties. These were (from memory): K240 Sextett, K240 Monitor, K240 Diffuse Field, K240 Studio and K240 Studio MK II

Sound characteristics are different for each variety.

I have the 600ohm AKG K240 Sextett and it is completely different design (having 1 active driver and 6 passive diaphragms on each ear-cup, there is no comparable design -other than K340 Electrostatic Dynamics, its also different than other K240's). Sextett version of K240 known to have 3 different versions too (early, mid and late productions; known as EP, MP and LP versions). 

AKG K240 Sextett EP Diapghrams and dynamic driver
Credit: internet image

Unlike K702 fully open design, K240's many versions are known to be semi-open (at least they are not fully open back).

V10 can drive 600ohm K240 Sextett on high gain mode and the sound is very pleasant. 

I love both pairings (K7XX and K240 Sextett) with V10.

I had a short audition with both devices (v10 and V20) while the K7XX were attached:

V10                   vs                         V20
Wide soundstage                     Slightly wider soundstage
Detailed sound                             Detailed sound
Neutral                              Neutral with slightly more epmhasis on high region, sometimes a bit grainy which were the killing factor for me
Slightly fuller sound                             Full sound

Overall both are great sounding devices but for my sound preference and headphone of choice I was happier with V10.

------------------------

@BrOtO , if I were you, I wouldn't go for a K702. From my perspective your 55 OHM AKG K240 Studio may be a better match for V20. But you know your preferences so you need to try/decide. May be you'll like K702 with V20...  Super subjective talks... I just wanted to share my opinion...

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #2,406 of 4,141
Hey all. I was at CanJam Socal and had my V20 measured at the Audio Precision room. It's not everyday you can have a phone measured on $20,000+ worth of test equipment. We didn't have access to the app to run a full test suite unfortunately but we could use some of their test tone files to run a few simple tests out of the headphone output of the V20. I thought I'd share if anyone was interested.

Here is an FFT plot, I think I see some 3rd order harmonics buried in there. Unfortunately I didn't get the actual test file so I can't play with the scale 
frown.gif

This is a output noise plot with no sound playing, it's pretty low as you would expect from a battery powered component.

Finally we have a SNR measurement. Not too bad!

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #2,408 of 4,141
@Muinarc
V20 should provide different SNR based on input impedance..
Can you please elaborate ?

My pal @miceblue said the AP device was set to simulate a 20ohm headphone/speaker load so that should be what we're looking at above.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #2,409 of 4,141
Muinarc
20 ohm simulation ...that explains it ..

Its the Normal or Low impedance mode ..aka single DAC mode.

What you tested could possibly even be the just the Qualcomm Aqstic DAC in SD820 because there is a software switch in V20 to turn on the HiFi Mode .

Yoy possibly could have tried to emulate 55-60 ohm to truly measure V20 right .:blush::blush:

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,410 of 4,141
Indeed I would have liked to test the other output modes. It was in "HiFi" mode in as much as the logo was on but in the lower power mode or however you want to call it with lower imp headphones. AP seems to come to the CanJams a bit now so next time I see them I'll spend more time on the phone test if I can :)

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,411 of 4,141
Hey all. I was at CanJam Socal and had my V20 measured at the Audio Precision room. It's not everyday you can have a phone measured on $20,000+ worth of test equipment. We didn't have access to the app to run a full test suite unfortunately but we could use some of their test tone files to run a few simple tests out of the headphone output of the V20. I thought I'd share if anyone was interested.

Here is an FFT plot, I think I see some 3rd order harmonics buried in there. Unfortunately I didn't get the actual test file so I can't play with the scale :frowning2:

This is a output noise plot with no sound playing, it's pretty low as you would expect from a battery powered component.

Finally we have a SNR measurement. Not too bad!

Here's my OnePlus 3 for comparison with the same test files, same testing gear, same music player, maximum volume output.

FFT

Noise

SNR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back