LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,286 of 3,525
The V10 is an older phone now. I think your questions best answered at XDA forums. RIP V10. Long live G6!

I still love my V10 by the way!

I don't find anything special about the G6 having a better DAC than what's in the V10? So not sure what is so better about it.

"Regarding audio quality, LG recently issued a press released which detailed the upgraded Quad DAC audio system confirmed to appear in the Korean version of the G6. This is said to be superior even to the Quad DAC included in the LG V20, which provides one of the best audio experiences of any Android phone ever. That said, it’s not clear whether this chip will be available in international versions as well."

Even if it has a so called better DAC chip wise, it's all still about implementation not just the DAC chip itself.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,287 of 3,525

The V10 is an older phone now. I think your questions best answered at XDA forums. RIP V10. Long live G6!

I still love my V10 by the way!

I don't find anything special about the G6 having a better DAC than what's in the V10? So not sure what is so better about it.

"Regarding audio quality, LG recently issued a press released which detailed the upgraded Quad DAC audio system confirmed to appear in the Korean version of the G6. This is said to be superior even to the Quad DAC included in the LG V20, which provides one of the best audio experiences of any Android phone ever. That said, it’s not clear whether this chip will be available in international versions as well."

Even if it has a so called better DAC chip wise, it's all still about implementation not just the DAC chip itself.

I also saw this - "The Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) is made by ESS, the company who created the DAC in both the V10 and V20. Customers are expected to experience “exceptional sound balance” that “provides a sense of depth.” The DAC will also help get rid of (or reduce) noise and allow for finer controls over left and right earphone audio. With this new DAC, LG also states that the “path for transmitting sound signals inside the chip has also been widened” and that high-volume 32-bit HiFi sources won’t see interruption."

It's all rather vague for now. My point is the V10 is a generation or two behind. It's not something I'd buy if I was in the market for a phone right now. The hype train has passed a long time ago, but it still produces great sound. As good as my ears need in a phone. The only thing I'd need perhaps is more juice for high Ohm/difficult to drive listening gear.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,288 of 3,525
I love my V10. My girlfriend bought herself a V20 after her G4 died. I've only borrowed it to compare to the V10 in hifi mode once and it seemed very close in quality but a slightly different character.

It should also be kept in mind this was LG's first attempt at a audiophile phone and when you compare it to the V20, the V10 suddenly seems clunky and bug ridden. 

I would entirely suggest getting a V20 or quad dac'd G6 over a V10 unless you have a very good reason to want a v10 over a v20. The V20 is clearly superior in every way. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,289 of 3,525
  I love my V10. My girlfriend bought herself a V20 after her G4 died. I've only borrowed it to compare to the V10 in hifi mode once and it seemed very close in quality but a slightly different character.

It should also be kept in mind this was LG's first attempt at a audiophile phone and when you compare it to the V20, the V10 suddenly seems clunky and bug ridden. 

I would entirely suggest getting a V20 or quad dac'd G6 over a V10 unless you have a very good reason to want a v10 over a v20. The V20 is clearly superior in every way. 

My V10 broke a few months ago and I had the opportunity to buy a V20 however I still went for the V10 because I prefer the design. The metal bars and rear buttons appeal to me. The V20 is no doubt a great phone and as the 2nd gen version of the V-series it is much more polished. I'm hoping the nougat update for the V10 will bring some fixes. I'm waiting to see what the G6 brings.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,290 of 3,525

My V10 broke a few months ago and I had the opportunity to buy a V20 however I still went for the V10 because I prefer the design. The metal bars and rear buttons appeal to me. The V20 is no doubt a great phone and as the 2nd gen version of the V-series it is much more polished. I'm hoping the nougat update for the V10 will bring some fixes. I'm waiting to see what the G6 brings.

I also love the rear button! I try to keep my phones for 2 years so like to stay current. Nougat for example hasn't landed on the V10 yet which is a little disappointing. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,291 of 3,525

I also love the rear button! I try to keep my phones for 2 years so like to stay current. Nougat for example hasn't landed on the V10 yet which is a little disappointing. 

IIRC, Android 7 should be out for the V10 by March/April this year.

Glad to see LG continuing to include a dac chips in their new phones like the G6 and moving away from the modular failure that was the G5.

The V10 is still their only phone with a discrete amp chip. Of course the newer phones will be better in other areas but, just think, before the V10 there weren't any widely available audiophile phones.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #3,292 of 3,525

I agree. i don't see anything wrong or buggy about the V10 others have mentioned. Super smooth and fast with great battery life. Phones are to last for years so even if a new one just came out dumping a $200.00 phone for a new $500+ phone is pretty lame. It's a phone fist all else is secondary. May as well get a dedicated DAP with superior sound and DAC. If you are new to get something new I can understand waiting for something new like V30 etc G6 but the price to what you get ratio is not worth it if you already have a V10 unless you like a new toy every 6 months and are looking for the best sound.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,293 of 3,525
IIRC, Android 7 should be out for the V10 by March/April this year.

Glad to see LG continuing to include a dac chips in their new phones like the G6 and moving away from the modular failure that was the G5.

The V10 is still their only phone with a discrete amp chip. Of course the newer phones will be better in other areas but, just think, before the V10 there weren't any widely available audiophile phones.

The G5 was a disastrous mess.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,294 of 3,525

You make a good point about the amp. My V10 is rooted so I've done the volume mod which makes normal mode as loud as high impedance mode and my current iems (Aurisonics ASG 2.5) get super loud at only 40/75 volume and my over ears (AKG K7XX Massdrop) can be adequately driven to levels I would consider uncomfortable. Other users use Viper4Android and other mods but I really don't see the need.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,295 of 3,525
You make a good point about the amp. My V10 is rooted so I've done the volume mod which makes normal mode as loud as high impedance mode and my current iems (Aurisonics ASG 2.5) get super loud at only 40/75 volume and my over ears (AKG K7XX Massdrop) can be adequately driven to levels I would consider uncomfortable. Other users use Viper4Android and other mods but I really don't see the need.

What method did you use to root? I can't find a way to root the V10. :mad:

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,299 of 3,525

​The LG V10 is extremely loud when in "high Fidelity" mode. With a pair of Focal Elear (read reviews) it is impossible to play at max, it is too loud. However, the audio quality is true hifi. I have seen some reviewers concluding that LG V10 was the peak, and that V20 is a tiny step down from true high fidelity, due to a tint of "fun" added. I have not heard the V20.

And I don't care at the moment: I almost cannot get anything done due to this combo; LG V10 and Focal Elear. What a hifi team. Almost all reference recordings reveal a new layer of musicality and "precision level".

With Android 6, there are no snags whatsoever with the LG V10. Silk. Everything just works. And the battery is long lasting. One can suspect the original V10 had problems with Android 5.1 but that these were solved with Android 6.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,300 of 3,525
​The LG V10 is extremely loud when in "high Fidelity" mode. With a pair of Focal Elear (read reviews) it is impossible to play at max, it is too loud. However, the audio quality is true hifi. I have seen some reviewers concluding that LG V10 was the peak, and that V20 is a tiny step down from true high fidelity, due to a tint of "fun" added. I have not heard the V20.

And I don't care at the moment: I almost cannot get anything done due to this combo; LG V10 and Focal Elear. What a hifi team. Almost all reference recordings reveal a new layer of musicality and "precision level".

With Android 6, there are no snags whatsoever with the LG V10. Silk. Everything just works. And the battery is long lasting. One can suspect the original V10 had problems with Android 5.1 but that these were solved with Android 6.

Totally agree. The V10 is great. I love it with JetAudio and or Hiby. I get great battery life. I was scared into thinking it will be a battery hog, but it's really not . You just have to know how to turn things off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back