LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jul 12, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #2,596 of 3,525
Found a way to change analog gain value without having to mess around with editing Mixer_paths.xml and what not.
Assuming you're rooted download ALSAMixer from Google Play install ALSA from in the app and make sure you select alsa_amixer controls as your Mode in settings in the ALSAMixer App.
After that search for Es9018 Master Volume and change the value to anything from 0 to 80. 0 being max volume like High Impedance mode is set to.
This isn't permanent and will reset on restart but it's nice to be able to change analog volume on the fly.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,597 of 3,525
Found a way to change analog gain value without having to mess around with editing Mixer_paths.xml and what not.
[COLOR=454545]Assuming you're rooted download ALSAMixer from Google Play install ALSA from in the app and make sure you select alsa_amixer controls as your Mode in settings in the ALSAMixer App.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]After that search for Es9018 Master Volume and change the value to anything from 0 to 80. 0 being max volume like High Impedance mode is set to.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]This isn't permanent and will reset on restart but it's nice to be able to change analog volume on the fly.[/COLOR]

This is fantastic, thanks for posting this solution to this annoying extension lead problem.

My p7's are sounding heaps better now.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,598 of 3,525
[COLOR=454545]Assuming you're rooted download ALSAMixer from Google Play install ALSA from in the app and make sure you select alsa_amixer controls as your Mode in settings in the ALSAMixer App.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]After that search for Es9018 Master Volume and change the value to anything from 0 to 80. 0 being max volume like High Impedance mode is set to.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]This isn't permanent and will reset on restart but it's nice to be able to change analog volume on the fly.[/COLOR]

I just tried this with my settings in hi-fi DAC as a normal device. It increased the sound, but it just sounded a little different. I felt like there was a limiter or something.

Then I did the cable trick to set it to aux, and I feel like there's more oomph. Is this possibly because more power is getting sent to the amp? I prefer the sound of aux vs normal and the mixer cranked up.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,599 of 3,525
Before I blow my money on a V10, I'm looking for a little comparison if anyone could oblige.  I have a Fiio e17 portable set up for work and Magni 2U with an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC for home.  The home rig blows the Fiio out of the water, but the Fiio is decent for my needs.  How much better (if at all) will the V10 be than the Fiio E17.  Will the V10 compete with my home rig in terms of SQ (mostly in terms of amping quality, because it seems like the DACs are both same tier)?

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,600 of 3,525
I just tried this with my settings in hi-fi DAC as a normal device. It increased the sound, but it just sounded a little different. I felt like there was a limiter or something.

Then I did the cable trick to set it to aux, and I feel like there's more oomph. Is this possibly because more power is getting sent to the amp? I prefer the sound of aux vs normal and the mixer cranked up.

Yes your correct, it seems the Also music app is only readjusting the volume limiter and limits.

Where when you mechanically plug in a high impedance device the system switches the amp over to high gain which can deliver more power (and more floor noise). I don't think this app can trigger the amplifiers.
Only a physical plug it seems (there may be a way) can do this up to this point.

Before I blow my money on a V10, I'm looking for a little comparison if anyone could oblige.  I have a Fiio e17 portable set up for work and Magni 2U with an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC for home.  The home rig blows the Fiio out of the water, but the Fiio is decent for my needs.  How much better (if at all) will the V10 be than the Fiio E17.  Will the V10 compete with my home rig in terms of SQ (mostly in terms of amping quality, because it seems like the DACs are both same tier)?

It's very hard for portable equipment to compete with desk top, due to better power supply and no physical room constraints. But the v10 is great to have a phone that's a DAP, can't be better than this in terms of portability. It doesn't replace my sony zx2 unfortunately, it doesn't have the same tonal textures and spatial sound stage. It would absolutely outdo a lot of DAP's on the market because of its streaming capabilities, and the v10 can be tweaked with apps like power amp alpha.

I am also looking forward to all the future developments to come as this unreal device gets further developments and updates.

But when I'm waiting in line somewhere in a noisy place, just getting around, this v10 rocks to pull out and enjoy, because it's there to use while I'm out and about. For an all in one device it can't be beat.

And I would buy it again without much thought, if I lost it or broken it.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,601 of 3,525
Should I root my v10? Any benefits?
Thx

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,602 of 3,525
Yes your correct, it seems the Also music app is only readjusting the volume limiter and limits.

Where when you mechanically plug in a high impedance device the system switches the amp over to high gain which can deliver more power (and more floor noise). I don't think this app can trigger the amplifiers.
Only a physical plug it seems (there may be a way) can do this up to this point.
It's very hard for portable equipment to compete with desk top, due to better power supply and no physical room constraints. But the v10 is great to have a phone that's a DAP, can't be better than this in terms of portability. It doesn't replace my sony zx2 unfortunately, it doesn't have the same tonal textures and spatial sound stage. It would absolutely outdo a lot of DAP's on the market because of its streaming capabilities, and the v10 can be tweaked with apps like power amp alpha.

I am also looking forward to all the future developments to come as this unreal device gets further developments and updates.

But when I'm waiting in line somewhere in a noisy place, just getting around, this v10 rocks to pull out and enjoy, because it's there to use while I'm out and about. For an all in one device it can't be beat.

And I would buy it again without much thought, if I lost it or broken it.

Pretty sure the amp is always active when hi-fi mode is enabled judging from the different volume settings in Mixer_paths, and there is no high-gain setting on the amp, just values from 0-80. Plugging in a high-gain device sets that value in AlsaMixer (or Mixer_paths) to 0. Aux is 13, and normal devices are 31. I'm 99% sure this is controlling the analog amplifier.
Also just letting everyone know I'm on 6.0 not 5.1. in 6.0 the ES9018 is always active when you have Hi-Fi mode activated, not just in the stock music app, which is why you don't need the Hi-fi DAC fix in 6.0

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,603 of 3,525
There are many benefits to rooting, this is especially good to the user that likes to control their phone.

As to whether you should root your own personal v10, you need to ask yourself if you need the features available like backing up system apps, controlling advertising, setting system volume, removing bloatware.
Running different customised versions of Android, as they become available.

And unlocking the radio band's for your cell communications, you might need for overseas, Plus many many more reasons.

These are a few excellent features a rooted phone has over a stock device.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2,604 of 3,525
Pretty sure the amp is always active when hi-fi mode is enabled judging from the different volume settings in Mixer_paths, and there is no high-gain setting on the amp, just values from 0-80. Plugging in a high-gain device sets that value in AlsaMixer (or Mixer_paths) to 0. Aux is 13, and normal devices are 31. I'm 99% sure this is controlling the analog amplifier.
Also just letting everyone know I'm on 6.0 not 5.1. in 6.0 the ES9018 is always active when you have Hi-Fi mode activated, not just in the stock music app, which is why you don't need the Hi-fi DAC fix in 6.0

My thinking is because I can only get this floor noise from the very sensitive IEM's when high gain mode is tricked through the ringing voice mail ringing hack.
I cannot get this noise with Alsa on 0, so maybe it's the mid gain and not the high gain. Not sure, but it sounds better now, so all is good.:beer:

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,606 of 3,525
The voicemail hack switches the screen that shows what impedance mode the phone is on, and it displayed high impedance mode on, it also hisses quite a bit, it sounds fine apart from this and is still using hi-fi DAC.

So my conclusion is there is a high gain mode that can only be be triggered with impedance.

Either way I don't need that mode, and having the extra gain from Alsa is fantastic, and no I'm not sure about the high gain mode, so maybe someone can test this as well?

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #2,607 of 3,525
There are three modes for when the ESS dac is on, normal, aux - which can be triggered using various cable plug methods and high mode which can only be triggered using high impedance headphones or using the voicemail hack. High gain mode has the most power.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #2,608 of 3,525
There are many benefits to rooting, this is especially good to the user that likes to control their phone.

As to whether you should root your own personal v10, you need to ask yourself if you need the features available like backing up system apps, controlling advertising, setting system volume, removing bloatware.
Running different customised versions of Android, as they become available.

And unlocking the radio band's for your cell communications, you might need for overseas, Plus many many more reasons.

These are a few excellent features a rooted phone has over a stock device.

Thanks audioxxx
I think i dont need any from your mentioned, just need good sound ,high volume i'm using it as a DAP only. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,609 of 3,525
There are three modes for when the ESS dac is on, normal, aux - which can be triggered using various cable plug methods and high mode which can only be triggered using high impedance headphones or using the voicemail hack. High gain mode has the most power.

Still standing by the fact that setting your Mixer_paths.xml or AlsaMixer to setting to 0 is the same as high-impedance mode, the cable and the AlsaMixer/Mixer_paths.xml method sound exactly the same to me with the exact same volume, on top of the fact that When you plug high-impedance headphones in I literally watch AlsaMixer change the Value to 0.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,610 of 3,525
Still standing by the fact that setting your Mixer_paths.xml or AlsaMixer to setting to 0 is the same as high-impedance mode, the cable and the AlsaMixer/Mixer_paths.xml method sound exactly the same to me with the exact same volume, on top of the fact that When you plug high-impedance headphones in I literally watch AlsaMixer change the Value to 0.

I upgraded to marshmallow. I forgot which settings are needed on the mixer-paths.xml file

Users who are viewing this thread

Back