LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,771 of 3,525
Been waiting for the newest PowerAmp to appear in the Play Store, but how buggy is the Alpha and does it require rooting?

Also, how does PowerAmp Alpha compare to Neutron MP?

No root required.
I have not yet experienced any type of hiccup...working smoothly.
Runs as well as can be, especially for being Alpha stage app.

I have not used Neutron MP, so I can't give you a comparison between the two.
The best suggestion is to download PowerAmp Alpha and do a direct comparison...let us know what you think.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,773 of 3,525
Definitely stick with what works for you...always have the choice to try for free and compare though.

nah, go with free an you miss out on some of the features 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,774 of 3,525
  nah, go with free an you miss out on some of the features 

I'm actually referring to the PowerAmp Alpha app...it's free to use as far as I know.
I downloaded the Alpha build, but liked it, so i paid for the full PowerAmp version...when it does go "live" on Google App Store, I'll be all set.

Just download from the link and try it for yourself...can't hurt to try?

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8494-poweramp-alpha-build-700/

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,775 of 3,525
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think the V10 combined with the DAC Everywhere app has created a new problem: which music player app to use?

Since they can now all work with the V10's hardware, we're spoiled with so many ways to playback music.

Mostly use Neutron due to it's superior software processing but also have the paid version of JetAudio with all the add-ons (AM3D, Crystalizer, etc.).

I agree, its hard to pay for another player app after you've already purchased a few of them.

Will probably try PowerAmp next. Just wanted to know more about the risks of using an alpha on my V10 (which needs to work reliably as a phone).

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,776 of 3,525
  Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think the V10 combined with the DAC Everywhere app has created a new problem: which music player app to use?

Since they can now all work with the V10's hardware, we're spoiled with so many ways to playback music.

Mostly use Neutron due to it's superior software processing but also have the paid version of JetAudio with all the add-ons (AM3D, Crystalizer, etc.).

I agree, its hard to pay for another player app after you've already purchased a few of them.

Will probably try PowerAmp next. Just wanted to know more about the risks of using an alpha on my V10 (which needs to work reliably as a phone).

As I mentioned, I have no issues with PowerAmp Alpha with my LG V10...it's my "ONLY" cellphone.
If I ever did experience any problem, then I would just delete the app and use the stock LG player.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,777 of 3,525
Just throwing this one out there... the Denon music player app does not play ALAC lossless (.m4a).  I loved that player on the iPhone.  Bummers... $5 gone.  LOL

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,778 of 3,525
Hey there! How's going?

Did any european noticed that the V10 came out on Amazon.de? I'm talking about the H960A version, the one that supports the 800 MHz LTE band too and unfortunately has a downgrade on the ROM (32GB vs the H961's 64GB). I already ordered it and after about 1 week it was shipped to me, the phone and a free 200GB microSD card will reach my home on Tuesday.

Here's the link to get the phone: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B019DV8V8Y

I suggest you to order as soon as possible, they are very slow to dispatch V10s at the moment due to the big quantity of demand of items.

Also I'll soon rewiev this phone with a "Nerd rewiev", talking about how this device could be useful for a potential nerdy user. And of course talk about all other things deeper than "every day use rewievs", so I'll dedicate a good part of my rewiev to the audio quality.

Hope I was useful!

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,783 of 3,525
Installed PowerAmp Alpha on my V10 last night. Guys who posted about the Alpha earlier were right: It is the best sounding Android app. Of course I used it with the DAC Everywhere app as well.

It makes Neutron MP look and sound like the old player it is. Neutron still sounds good but the Alpha sounds smoother, fuller, and the noise floor doesn't change much when making adjustments (unlike most EQs). If this latest PowerAmp were a final release, I would've uninstalled Neutron.

I set the Alpha to SoX resampling and the bass tone to 25%. My PM-3s sounded like they had a subwoofer strapped to them. Even the V10's stock player now sounds a bit harsh by comparison.

Only issue with the Alpha is the folder browser (which is no doubt still being worked on in this test build). Like the stock player, it only shows single folders but those folders are currently mixed within a long list of others (possible system folders; still getting used to the app).

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,784 of 3,525
  Installed PowerAmp Alpha on my V10 last night. Guys who posted about the Alpha earlier were right: It is the best sounding Android app. Of course I used it with the DAC Everywhere app as well.

It makes Neutron MP look and sound like the old player it is. Neutron still sounds good but the Alpha sounds smoother, fuller, and the noise floor doesn't change much when making adjustments (unlike most EQs). If this latest PowerAmp were a final release, I would've uninstalled Neutron.

I set the Alpha to SoX resampling and the bass tone to 25%. My PM-3s sounded like they had a subwoofer strapped to them. Even the V10's stock player now sounds a bit harsh by comparison.

Only issue with the Alpha is the folder browser (which is no doubt still being worked on in this test build). Like the stock player, it only shows single folders but those folders are currently mixed within a long list of others (possible system folders; still getting used to the app).

umm those aren't good things for a Music Player to have, "smooth" an "full" sounds like color to my ears :/ 

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,785 of 3,525
  umm those aren't good things for a Music Player to have, "smooth" an "full" sounds like color to my ears :/ 

Normally, I'd agree but I didn't detect any coloration. And the PM-3 is about as neutral as they come. I also kept resetting the tone controls to off and compared the same tracks in other players. PowerAmp Alpha (or 3.0 as it will be called) is just better in the right areas and for the most important reason: sound quality.

Even if PowerAmp was somehow coloring the sound a bit, everything is software and DSP at the app stage. I'm always amazed when I hear about firmware updates that improve sound quality. It reminds me that software plays a bigger role in sound quality than it gets credit for. Ideally, different softwares running on the exact same hardware shouldn't sound any different. But that's just not the case with most setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back