LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,727 of 3,525
Pulled out my cheapo 'basshead' cans -- the M-Audio Q40s. They work quite well with the V10.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,728 of 3,525
Is it possible to set up this phone to stream and play music stored on an external hard drive with an OTG cable?

I don't want to drag and drop the files onto the micro SD card, and then play them... mind you.  What I want to stream them direct from the drive.
thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,729 of 3,525
  Is it possible to set up this phone to stream and play music stored on an external hard drive with an OTG cable?

I don't want to drag and drop the files onto the micro SD card, and then play them... mind you.  What I want to stream them direct from the drive.
thanks in advance.

Lg bundled a 200 GB SD card when u purchase the V10, I'd like to think 200GB is more than enough 

still though I'd imagine you can stream, at least with neutron. Just hook up the drive an link a file path from Neutron [or power amp] to the files on the HDD drive, ofc with it un plugged your out of luck

though there is a streaming service now that offers like 50GB for free an up to 1TB for like $4.99 a year or something crazy, a better option though is to buy a network HDD, meaning you hook it to your router an you can stream off of it wirelessly 

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,730 of 3,525
I know you can hook external drives to the phone, but i dont know if you can stream from it or if you have to transfer the files first.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,731 of 3,525
If you do that at home you don't have to spend any money. Just share your media in your home network and access through your wifi. Some popular audio apps can access to shared folders. USB player pro for example.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,732 of 3,525
  If you do that at home you don't have to spend any money. Just share your media in your home network and access through your wifi. Some popular audio apps can access to shared folders. USB player pro for example.

UAPP can do this streaming. @peter123 uses his portable wifi HDD this way (as far as I know) with his G3. May be he can chime in and give more info :wink:

@kramer5150 thanks for sharing your sound impressions! I will be adding them to front page with a link.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,734 of 3,525

UAPP can do this streaming. @peter123 uses his portable wifi HDD this way (as far as I know) with his G3. May be he can chime in and give more info :wink:

@kramer5150 thanks for sharing your sound impressions! I will be adding them to front page with a link.

Sure go right ahead.  A tale of 3 sennheisers...
SennGrado 35 Ohm
HD650 300 Ohm
HD558 50 Ohm

I can absolutely confirm switching on/off the 32 BIT setting is night and day different sounding on the 50-600 ohm cans.  The HD558 is not generally known to be a detail revealing headphone.  Pleasant, smooth and easy-listening is how I would describe it.  I have always considered the 558/598/595 to be an affordable/comfortable/less detailed version of the HD580/600.  So with that, even the 558 is EASILY detail revealing enough to distinctly highlight the sonic benefits of the 32 BIT setting.  Furthermore this is a really good sounding source / amp for the 558/598/595.  PLENTY loud.  The added dynamics, depth and image separation really helps these cans, which can sound a little flat, compared to higher end Senns.

The lower impedance setting with the 35 ohm senn-grado is more subtle as I toggle 32BIT on-off.  I can still hear a difference though, in layering, spatial depth, clarity and separation.  Its most evident in midrange sounds, vocals and instrumentation.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,735 of 3,525
UAPP can do this streaming. @peter123
uses his portable wifi HDD this way (as far as I know) with his G3. May be he can chime in and give more info :wink:

@kramer5150
thanks for sharing your sound impressions! I will be adding them to front page with a link.

It's really simple: just hook up your portable WiFi HDD of choice according to the manual then choose the virtual network your HDD creates as the one to connect your Android device to and after you're connected open UAPP and choose UPnP/DLNA media server in the drop down menu. Your HDD should now show up and you can browse and play music from it just as you do from the local storage on your phone. Very easy and convenient really :0

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,736 of 3,525
It's really simple: just hook up your portable WiFi HDD of choice according to the manual then choose the virtual network your HDD creates as the one to connect your Android device to and after you're connected open UAPP and choose UPnP/DLNA media server in the drop down menu. Your HDD should now show up and you can browse and play music from it just as you do from the local storage on your phone. Very easy and convenient really :0

Stupid question warning... ;^)

If I do this via wifi though, don't I have to disconnect the V10 from my home internet wifi?  Doesn't it require me to switch between (essentially) two different wifi networks?

How can I stream music from the HDD-Wifi... and still surf headfi on my internet wifi at the same time?

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,737 of 3,525

If I do this via wifi though, don't I have to disconnect the V10 from my home internet wifi?  Doesn't it require me to switch between (essentially) two different wifi networks?

How can I stream music from the HDD-Wifi... and still surf headfi on my internet wifi at the same time?

The only stupid questions are the ones no one ask :wink:

I don't know about other WiFi HDD'but my Seagate is connected to my router so you can actually read Head-Fi through its network. I'd assume other HDD's works the same way.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,739 of 3,525
Just purchased a pair of Sony MDR-100AAP from the sale forum and was wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback regarding these headphones with the LG V10?
From what I've read, they have similar resemblance to being a little brother of the Z7.

Any thoughts?

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,740 of 3,525

.... hdd Wi-Fi - meaning your own personal cloud based hdd, this will connect thro' your router & @ the same time normally browse in heafi...
...nothin' stupid bout this query, really....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back