LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Jan 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,711 of 3,525
  Guys,
           as suggested here, I tried my koss portapro with the LG V10 and wow it is driving it in high power mode. For the money the sound pairing with V10 is very very good. This is going to be permanently in my travel bag as well. Thanks for the heads up guys .Cheers

ooh nice I like the PortaPro! I'm happy to hear you like it with teh V10 

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,712 of 3,525
I'm a bit "confused"....

How does the "AUX" Input mode compare to the "HIGH" power mode?
What are the differences?

I don't have any headphones that triggers the High Power mode, but have headphones that can detach the cable and achieve the AUX mode.
I just would like to know if having a pair of headphones with higher impedance be worth purchasing for the LG V10?

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #1,714 of 3,525

I think you might be triggering the more powerful AUX mode I posted about a few weeks ago:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/360#post_12119129

You can touch on the 32-bit Hifi dac setting (towards the bottom of the Sounds and Notifications settings) when its on to see which power mode you're in.

Has anyone compared this V10 to other DAPs like DX80 for example? I'm on the fence, enjoying the DX80, but not digging my iPhone 5....

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,715 of 3,525
Aux mode is somewhere in between normal and high impedance mode. Depending on personal preference and synergy with equipment the sound can come across as more dynamic in this mode.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
In AUX mode, the volume and dynamics are improved with all of my headphones/IEM...adding an EQ with Sound Amplifier just produces more to the audio!

So far, Tidal HiFi and internal audio (FLAC/24/96/192) via PowerAmp Alpha has been a pleasure to listen to.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,717 of 3,525
I received the impedance adapter from penon audio two days ago.

I use it with my fidelio x2. With the adapter I get the high impedance mode from the phone.

It works fine. But my surprise is that the volume I get is exactly the same as with an extender and the aux mode.

So at least with my gear, aux mode and high impedance deliver exactly the same power.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,720 of 3,525
I received the impedance adapter from penon audio two days ago.

I use it with my fidelio x2. With the adapter I get the high impedance mode from the phone.

It works fine. But my surprise is that the volume I get is exactly the same as with an extender and the aux mode.

So at least with my gear, aux mode and high impedance deliver exactly the same power.

Ok, this now confuses me more regarding the AUX mode and the HIGH Impedance mode...

Based on your experience, there was no difference in audio output between the two?

What's confusing is that it has been mentioned that "AUX" mode's output level is in between "NORMAL" and "HIGH"...doesn't seem right to me now with these results.
Makes me wonder if I should still pursue buying a pair of HIGH Impedance headphones...hmmm?
Will an actual HIGH Impedance headphone be different then an Impedance adapter?

So confused....

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,721 of 3,525
my experience with resistive impedance adapters is they add resistance NOT impedance.  The two are not the same, and thus to draw the kind of conclusion you are attempting, could mis-lead you in your line of thinking.  Resistors alter the resistance load presented to the circuit, transformers alter the impedance load... the two are not the same.  All the impedance adapters I have made (whether with resistors or transformers) have always colored the sound, and not always favorably mind you... YMMV.  There are just too many variables to draw the kind of conclusion you are trying.  IMHO of course

After playing around with my V10, using the latest alpha release of PowerAmp as my player... the setup is VERY flexible, and adaptable to a wide range of impedance loads and I can find a setting that sounds great with all my cans.  FWIW PowerAmp is a very warm, smooth sounding app.  Not as cold and flat sounding as my iPhone 5C, or macbook headphone out.  The difference is slight but noticeable.

I don't think you should get a high-Z headphone... just for the sake of it to try and make use of a setting on the player.  Unless of course you really do like the sound of the particular headphone, then absolutely go for it.  The V10 should be able to drive it.

I will however say this... the V10 with PowerAmp sounds GREAT with my HD650 and K701.  Plenty of slam - impact, dynamics and headroom.  This is the first portable setup I have not needed external amplification with these cans.  With Grados, the "normal" impedance setting rocks too.

Listening to Ayreon, alac CD rip as I type this commentary... sounds incredible.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #1,722 of 3,525
  my experience with resistive impedance adapters is they add resistance NOT impedance.  The two are not the same, and thus to draw the kind of conclusion you are attempting, could mis-lead you in your line of thinking.  Resistors alter the resistance load presented to the circuit, transformers alter the impedance load... the two are not the same.  All the impedance adapters I have made (whether with resistors or transformers) have always colored the sound, and not always favorably mind you... YMMV.  There are just too many variables to draw the kind of conclusion you are trying.  IMHO of course

After playing around with my V10, using the latest alpha release of PowerAmp as my player... the setup is VERY flexible, and adaptable to a wide range of impedance loads and I can find a setting that sounds great with all my cans.  FWIW PowerAmp is a very warm, smooth sounding app.  Not as cold and flat sounding as my iPhone 5C, or macbook headphone out.  The difference is slight but noticeable.

I don't think you should get a high-Z headphone... just for the sake of it to try and make use of a setting on the player.  Unless of course you really do like the sound of the particular headphone, then absolutely go for it.  The V10 should be able to drive it.

I will however say this... the V10 with PowerAmp sounds GREAT with my HD650 and K701.  Plenty of slam - impact, dynamics and headroom.  This is the first portable setup I have not needed external amplification with these cans.  With Grados, the "normal" impedance setting rocks too.

Listening to Ayreon, alac CD rip as I type this commentary... sounds incredible.

Thank you very much in explaining the differences between the two.
It is much clearer now.
Since I'm not a Head audiophile, I'm still learning...!

I, myself am enjoying the LG V10 with PowerAmp Alpha app. 
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #1,723 of 3,525

Ok, this now confuses me more regarding the AUX mode and the HIGH Impedance mode...

Based on your experience, there was no difference in audio output between the two?

What's confusing is that it has been mentioned that "AUX" mode's output level is in between "NORMAL" and "HIGH"...doesn't seem right to me now with these results.
Makes me wonder if I should still pursue buying a pair of HIGH Impedance headphones...hmmm?
Will an actual HIGH Impedance headphone be different then an Impedance adapter?

So confused....

My fault. I originally said aux was between normal and high but had difficulty accurately comparing the two; was also hesitant to say if the aux output sound was exactly the same as normal and high.

After reading others' posts, seems there is little or no difference in the sound signature and the power output may indeed be equal.

If it helps, I actually prefer aux over high even with my headphones over 50 ohms. It gives me the extra power plus I can still use my cables with inline remotes (which don't work at all on high).

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #1,724 of 3,525

My fault. I originally said aux was between normal and high but had difficulty accurately comparing the two; was also hesitant to say if the aux output sound was exactly the same as normal and high.

After reading others' posts, seems there is little or no difference in the sound signature and the power output may indeed be equal.

If it helps, I actually prefer aux over high even with my headphones over 50 ohms. It gives me the extra power plus I can still use my cables with inline remotes (which don't work at all on high).

That's actually good news!

I can now enjoy listening with all my current headphones that have detachable cables in AUX mode.
Even the MDR-V900 can still be used in AUX mode with the LifeProof cable attachment...everyone can join the party!

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,725 of 3,525
Further impressions...  Listening to Queensryche Empire alac CD rip.
With the HD650 and Hi-Fi 50-600Ohm setting turning the 32 BIT DAC on and off is a night and day different sounding circuit.  With the DAC switched off midrange is congested, distant sounding and lacks image and depth.  Guitars and vocals are a big jumbled mess devoid of dynamics, depth and space.  Midrange dynamics are also compressed a lot more too.

With the 32 BIT setting engaged all the separate instrumentation tracks are layered... lead vocals are out infront, backing/rhythm vocals layer the background while guitars fade from foreground to background depending on the moment.  Bass guitars flow and surround the mix.  It takes a pretty good amp and source to make an HD650 sound alive this way (this coming from a Grado fan).

Oh... another thing with PowerAmp alpha release, play around with the DVC setting.  (Settings > Audio > Advanced Tweeks)  Sounds better this way at least with the HD650 and K701. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back