LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 7, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,351 of 3,525
it would be a dream come true if samsung will come out next year with the similar dac/amp in their new phones that will be released in 2016 as the xda developers are much more present for samsung phones than lg or sony, can you imagine until now their is no way to root the sony z5 premium without unlocking bbootloader

now to me i am torn between 2 things

1- get the lg v10 root it add v4a and call it a basshead day
2- or get the ak320 or onkyo dap now both have supposedly good eqs especially the ak320 which is a parametric eq

i know for sure that mostly the v4a will give me the bass i grave as its a basshead must have , but i do not know if the v4a is affecting negatively the dac or not, and if using v10 and va4 will use the hifi dac in v10 or the snapdragon. I think warrior1975 said he things the v4a uses the hifi dac, but i remember reading somewhere that v4a can negatively affect the dac 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,352 of 3,525
The V10 with V4A is a basshead dream. I kid you not. My asg g2 have never even come close to sounded like they do with that combination. I've used it with both the AK240 and zx2, with Cayin C5 and the bass is not even remotely close to what the V10 is without the Cayin C5.

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,353 of 3,525
The V10 with V4A is a basshead dream. I kid you not. My asg g2 have never even come close to sounded like they do with that combination. I've used it with both the AK240 and zx2, with Cayin C5 and the bass is not even remotely close to what the V10 is without the Cayin C5.

the only question is v4a using the snapdragon dac or the sabre

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,354 of 3,525
  it would be a dream come true if samsung will come out next year with the similar dac/amp in their new phones that will be released in 2016 as the xda developers are much more present for samsung phones than lg or sony, can you imagine until now their is no way to root the sony z5 premium without unlocking bbootloader

I wouldn't get too excited about the Samsung if their previous attempts are any indication.

They've been putting Wolfson chips in some of their phones for years but its so difficult to tell which phones (versions) have the chip. Even harder to tell if and how the chip is working.

Unless Samsung mimics what LG did with the on/off setting, I'm not enthusiastic about the S7 (which won't have a swappable battery and still isn't 100% confirmed to have a micro sd slot; V10 already has all of the above).

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,355 of 3,525
I'm still sitting here on the fence about rooting the phone because I think it will cause a massive headache when the Marshmallow update arrives in a month or two, but at the same time I would REALLY like more volume. My Oppo HA-2 blows the V10 out of the water in volume, but with nearly identical sound quality when listening to 32 ohm Grado PS500 and 250 ohm BD DT990 headphones. Adding some volume would make it worth it for me. 

FWIW, I installed the Qi wireless charging sticker (from YooTech I believe) and now happily have Qi wireless charging for a whopping $10. Life is better now with the V10 :)

-Collin-

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,356 of 3,525
Didn't you see my post?

Quote:
  Wow I just downloaded the app called "Equalizer" and it has a Volume Amplifier that increased my volume by 4 steps (Music at 45 same volume as it was at 65 before).    Now I have no problem with some of those quiet vinyl rips I had trouble with on my 30 ohm X2s and I can't go past 50/75 on most of my other music. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,357 of 3,525

FWIW, I installed the Qi wireless charging sticker (from YooTech I believe) and now happily have Qi wireless charging for a whopping $10. Life is better now with the V10 :)

I did the same on my V10. Got a wireless qi sticker with nfc for $4.50 on amazon. Was a bit nervous removing the stock nfc sticker and getting the qi one lined up just right inside the stock back cover.

Works great; even charges with the Otterbox on and doesn't get too warm. I can hear a faint clicking noise while charging (common to some qi equipment) but it should save wear n tear on the usb port.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,358 of 3,525
frown.gif
 only black units w/ the sd bundle, still no modern beige 961 from the the mall, no assurance there's gonna b anything before Christmas,,,, have to reach out from the 3rd party shops...

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,360 of 3,525
Got my promo finally :sunglasses:

Congrats.

Had to call LG a 2nd time yesterday to get mine approved (it was stuck in submitted status for 2 weeks).

If anyone else needs to call LG (the # is at bottom of your promo status screen) you may need to press "0" to get someone. For some strange reason their automated system tells you press 1 but then loops you back to the beginning recording.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,362 of 3,525
i may be off track here , I'm really interested in this phone for the DAC ,but how is the V10 as a phone in call quality and battery life
how is it
also Ill be using it on Verizon

Plus I cant wait to try my Denon MM400 on this phone if i get it

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,363 of 3,525
  i may be off track here , I'm really interested in this phone for the DAC ,but how is the V10 as a phone in call quality and battery life
how is it
also Ill be using it on Verizon

Plus I cant wait to try my Denon MM400 on this phone if i get it

Battery life and call quality both great for me.   I used to have a Samsung Note 3 and I live in a fringe area. I could barely make a call and absolutely no 4G/LTE.    Now I can make calls without dropping and I get 4G/LTE when before I could only get 1x and just barely a 3g signal on my Note 3.   Our AT&T user needed to get an extender.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,364 of 3,525
WOW, that was a roller coaster of 90+ pages to see how polarizing the v10 is among Head-Fi.
popcorn.gif
My current pairing does not allow me access to the high impedance mode (RHA MA750's @ 16Ω) so although the DAC/AMP sound amazing I am falling short in the volume department by probably 5-10 values (current max=75, desired 80-85). When in an optimal listening environment I feel the current configuration is more than adequate and my listening level tends to be 50-65 depending on genre but in certain instances (like during a noisy commute or intense workouts at the gym) I think that lower impedance headphones could benefit from more amplification. I plan on purchasing some new cans, currently eyeballing some Beyerdynamics pretty hard, but in the meantime it seems work arounds are limited:
  • Root the phone- currently unavailable because I own the VS990 (Verizon locked bootloader)
  • Purchase external headphone amp- seems repetitive and should be unnecessary to stack but I know how Head-Fiers love to buy gear...
  • Wait/hope LG to fix both amp gain settings and DAC/AMP accessibility for more third party applications.
    blink.gif
  • Possibly use one of the impedance increase adapters that have been mentioned, still reading into it so am unsure how viable this actually is.

Other than that the phone is a powerhouse. This is my first large screen phone (I refuse to refer to it as that combination of 'phone' and 'tablet') and I find the ergonomics enjoyable. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,365 of 3,525
I have ordered this adapter from Aliexpress to see if it triggers the high gain mode of V10.

There are other options in the Aliexpress which might work (check the below links). We need to find the best option which doesn't alter the sound signature.

There were a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm (male to female) adapter cable mentioned in the thread by the member @gr8soundz (A few pages back, so these solutions came to my mind after his post) which happened to trigger the high gain mode which seems to eliminate the need for a 75ohm resistor adapter.

Anyone need to experiment, I am not sure if these adapters are going to trigger the high gain mode:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-3-5mm-1-8-TRS-Stereo-Male-Plug-To-Female-Jack-M-F-Adapter-Short/32514320124.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Gold-plated-90-Degree-3-5mm-plug-Stereo-to-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-jack-Adaptor/32469146076.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back