LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Dec 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,306 of 3,525
I say give one more generation after the next one and we'll be starting to see mid-tier DAP really going the way of dinosaur but I can't see higher end ones being replaced that easily. Specialized device will always perform better on its specified job than an all in one solution. Higher end DAPs will probably be more modular while providing top of the line DAC and amp chips that will be swappable for a couple of generations while phones will probably using the same DAC chip but constrained by the amp and soldered into the board.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,307 of 3,525
Not really, V10 sounds much better than HM901, DX90, DX80, DX100, Sony PHA-2, iPod, D55, Geek Out. It's a little behind my Teac desktop DAC and Benchmark DAC. 
Also, V10 is functionally better. It can charge itself in less than 30 minutes for 20 hours of high-res music. 

Quote:

LG V10 supports quick charge feature which allows to charge V10 in less than 30 minutes. 

The following products allow V10 to charge 75% faster.... It means you'll get 20 hours of high-res music by charging less than 30 minutes. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Desktop-Charging-Station-Included/dp/B00VHHIUNY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1449281763&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=lg+v10+quick+charge&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Qualcomm-Certified-Technology-Included/dp/B00Y8994SS/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&qid=1449292815&sr=8-113-spons&keywords=lg+v10+quick+charge&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UWRHNVA/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_01_03_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's no DAP on the market which can charge itself in 30 minutes...

Quick Charge 2.0 is available for your car too:
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Charger-Adapter-Samsung-Included/dp/B00VFZKA22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449282734&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=quick+charge+2.0+for+car&psc=1

and here's a portable battery that has quick charge 2.0. It can charge V10 five times.
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-15000mAh-Portable-External-Supported/dp/B013ANE2IE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449282495&sr=8-5&keywords=quick+charge+portable+battery

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,308 of 3,525
Glad you like your V10!  I love mine.  It sounds amazing and does everything I need well with good battery life.   The quick charge feature is really convenient too.  So damn fast.

I wouldn't get an expensive DAP at this point either.   Nothing in the mid-fi category at least. Just a low-fi small, slim, and lightweight mp3 player for exercise.

Not to mention it is in the top 3 best camera & video phone on the market alongside the note 5 and iphone.  You really get a lot of bang for your buck with these multi-use devices that seem to do just about everything and well.  

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,310 of 3,525
  lol, why would people sell a free 200gb micro sd ?

Some people want to recoup part of the cost of the V10. Like what jamor said, they might not be heavy media consumers/users or prefer to use streaming. 

Lots of people I know only use their smartphone as a phone/camera/play games. They don't really need the extra space (64GB is already a lot if no movies/music are put on the phone).

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,311 of 3,525
Best Camera on a phone

Best Hifi Dac on ANY smart phone

One of the BEST displays

Expandable Storage

Swapable Battery

on and on............................

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #1,312 of 3,525
Best Camera on a phone

Best Hifi Dac on ANY smart phone

One of the BEST displays

Expandable Storage

Swapable Battery

on and on............................

Yes.. also the fastest charging time... and even faster charging with Quick Charge 2.0 is available. 

All we need now are Zerolemon 9,000mAh battery case with a PNY 512GB SD card. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,313 of 3,525
  Yes.. also the fastest charging time... and even faster charging with Quick Charge 2.0 is available. 

All we need now are Zerolemon 9,000mAh battery case with a Sandisk 512GB SD card. 

Well, I just grabbed the 200Gb Sandisk Micro SD card, and I feel that it's way enough for every audiophile using their smartphone as main dap, Considering that the V10 has built in 64 Gb it seems that your world is not enough 
dt880smile.png

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #1,314 of 3,525
Neko Atsume is a hack worth checking out. So far, it's working very well with spotify and surprisingly even Apple Music.

So you basically download the game, start the app, turn off all sound(game), then open spotify to have it playing on the background,.. then go back to the game and turn on hifi mode.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't and the improvement in sq is totally worth the annoyance. LG better fix this nonsense soon, coz one of the reason I held off on getting the V10 is precisely due to this dumb flaw in their hifi implementation. My buddy showed me the way two days ago, and I ran out and got the phone next morning^.^

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,315 of 3,525
Neko Atsume is a hack worth checking out. So far, it's working very well with spotify and surprisingly even Apple Music.

So you basically download the game, start the app, turn off all sound(game), then open spotify to have it playing on the background,.. then go back to the game and turn on hifi mode.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't and the improvement in sq is totally worth the annoyance. LG better fix this nonsense soon, coz one of the reason I held off on getting the V10 is precisely due to this dumb flaw in their hifi implementation. My buddy showed me the way two days ago, and I ran out and got the phone next morning^.^

Dang, this reminds me of the time back in "Nintendo and contra" up-up, down-down, a-b, a-b....infinite life lol ? I may have remembered it wrong though lol :D

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,316 of 3,525
Hype is full steam going on here :))

Ok; best camera, best sound, one of the best screens, removable battery and micro SD card slot, fast charging, long battery life, second smart screen,....

But... if a source couldn't stand after dropping -even for one time- it is hard to use it for a long time and it will be problem to take it with you everywhere.

I believe none of the mid or higher end dedicated DAP's has a shockproof feature.

LG V10's one of the biggest strength is its durability. May be it is not completely shockproof but it seems that it's ahead of any smartphone for this feature as well.

This post and video (on the below) may be mentioned previously but I wanted to mention it again for people who haven't noticed it :wink:

Information and video form: http://www.techtimes.com
LG claims the V10 has received a MIL-STD-810 resistance rating, a military standard used for testing the durability of certain equipment. Technically, this means that the V10 should be able to withstand 26 drops from a height of 4 feet into a plywood board placed on top of concrete.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,317 of 3,525
2 days ago I have compared Fiio X7 (World Review Tour unit; this DAP is Android based and has a touchscreen) with LG V10 in a shopping mall.

To my surprise I have learned that the V10 was introduced in the Turkish market about 10 days ago.

I had only Fiio X7 and Havi B3Pro1 iem in hand to make comparisons with LG V10. In the same day (may be 1 hour before) I have compared Cozoy Aegis with Fiio X7 so I have good sound pitcure in my mind about the sound of Aegis DAC/AMP.

I have loaded the same music with a microSD card to the V10.⁠⁠⁠ So I have listened exactly the same recording with both.

It was late at night and the shopping mall were going to be closed after 26 minutes so the place were very quiet enough to make healthy comparisons (no customers and background noises). Havi B3Pro1 iem's isolation is above average so it eliminated further noises.

I have manually selected the hifi-dac and adjusted its sound on V10. Since B3P1 is a power hungry iem (almost like a full sized can) you can see how much volume B3P1 needed from the hifidac of V10 (please check the second photo). Since the high impedance switching was not triggered due to 32 ohms of B3P1 I had to push the volume very high on V10.

I have to add my sound impressions: V10 sounds very close to Aegis. Its like they belong to the same family. Compared to X7, I found the V10's sound signature more musical and slightly warmer. X7 sounds slightly more detailed compared to V10 and X7 has slightly better separation and imaging.

But "on the go" I can be perfectly content with V10. For critical listening I can prefer X7 over the V10 (by a small margin).

But the lush, musical and fuller sound of V10 was really entertaining (I mean in comparison with X7). I also support now that the sound quality of V10 is really up there with some midfi DAP's and it stares its eyes to the high tier group. V10 "might" eliminate the need for many current mid-range daps -as said by many in the thread- unless you want to separate your music from your phone... Or unless you want some technicalities like: manual gain switches, lineout, coax out, balanced out, external DAC features, etc...

Havi B3P1 also sounds fuller with V10 compared to X7 headphone out.

IMO, X7 is still a "slightly" better source sonically (also I mean better for overall DAP features or technically). And the X7's lineout is a beast to beat. I didn't add the X7's lineout sound quality to the comparisons (didn't have time to add a portable amp there) but I am sure that it will be clearly better.

But X7 is a delicate piece of equipment. Its raised glass part couldn't stand punishment like V10. X7 is thick and heavy. Its screen is smaller and incomparable for looks and resolution. X7's charging takes too long compared to V10. And the battery endurance is incomparable. Hands down V10 is better for these features...  Also V10 can support the future generation of micro SD cards up to 2TB space where X7 currently supports up to 128GB (no two card slots).

Verdict: I am going to buy LG V10 whenever the price gets lower here (sells at 900+ USD at the moment). And I will be using only V10. Holding the V10 in hand and listening through it, was an "instant fall in love" experience for me
biggrin.gif

HifiDac Activated, Havi B3P1 needed the volume to be raised too much. 32OHM couldn't trigger the internal AMP's high gain feature.

PS: Sorry for my above crappy pictures... I shot these with my crappy compact camera... then transfer the shots to phone and these are the results...

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,318 of 3,525
Speaking of Fiio...got some EX1's yesterday for $69..nice combo with the V10!

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,319 of 3,525

I'll just stick with TIDAL.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,320 of 3,525

Not sure is it just me, but tried this "hack" and doesn't make a difference to me...tried on 4 different headphones (Sony MDR-V900 : UE6000 : SoundMAGIC E10S & Monster UrBeats). None are considered "audiophile" grade, but I personally can't detect a difference. Since the headphones are already plugged in, the "HiFi" mode is already activated, so I'm unsure how to "go back" to the game and turn it on.

I tried several different genres of music from POP, R&B, Jazz, Techno/House and Classical.

Strange that when I do listen to Spotify with or without this method, when turning on and off the "HiFi"...switching back and forth , I do notice a tad bit difference in audio quality. With the "HiFi" turned on, the separation is a bit more open and the vocals are more forward...very slightly.

Can someone explain what is actually happening when this is being done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back