LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,231 of 3,525
Waiting for G5 as I gave up on the idea of getting the V10, especially since LG won't bring it down under. Here's hope that the new flagships will include audiophile grade DACs now that V10 has shown the way. My X3 II will serve me well for the next few months.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,232 of 3,525
  Well, my mobile source here in Canada, MobileSyrup.com, has confirmed that LG isn't bringing the V10 to Canada. 
frown.gif
  So, my question, where do I get one?  I would like to have one that works with NA LTE bands, because I stream a lot on the go.  But I have to hear this.  The hype in this thread for the phone, I'm sure it would make my ASG 2.5's sing.  

Buy it on American Ebay website... 
I might move to Canada very soon. Verizon guys told me there's a Canadian Verizon so if I move to Canada, I can easily change my service to a Canadian one. Is that true? 
If that's the case, I can simply bring my V10 to Canada with the same Verizon service.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,233 of 3,525
Everything is true except for the "Beats" software, as HTC stopped using Beats since the One Max, now they use their own software called Boomsound and it's way better than the crappy beats

This morning, I got the chance to audition the V10, well it sounds like an AK120 but with narrower soundstage and less refined output, but it surely take the lead over every single smartphone I auditioned till now, it can be on par with most sub $500 dedicated daps but can't reach the level of lets say an Ibasso DX100 or any Astell & Kern

Well, you haven't used a reference headphone (HD650, SRH1840, AKG K712) for auditioning it. 
Someone with AKG K701Q told us that V10 can reach 90% of DX100. 

Please check again with a good reference headphone or IEM.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,234 of 3,525
Just switched to LG V10 last week.  Surprisingly to find out that it can even power the 600ohm DT990 to a very satisfying level.

However, I also found that most of the audio players with gapless feature will not be able to profit from the Hifi DAC, what a shame. 

Having tried numerous apps, including Poweramp, Neutron Music Player, PlayerPro and a bunch of others, none of them works.

Only with PlayPro, I can get the hifi DAC to work with DSP turned off, which also makes gapless play stop functioning. 

The only app that can be somewhat working is GoneMAD, each time I open that app, I will have to go to the Settings->Audio->Playback and cycle the "Enable Gapless Playback" once, then it will play music with both hifi DAC and gapless enabled.  Very annoying, since I have to do it every time when starting the app or after a pause! But at least it provides a way to listen to any album that requires gapless feature.  

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,235 of 3,525
Thanks. I haven't spent much time using my 846s with a DAP, but damn are they a nice pairing with the V10. Nice black background. 

You're welcome and thanks for the info about the SE846, I found it to be on the bright side with my EX1000 but pairs very well with the MI Headphones which is warmer, I'm looking forward to buy it but I recently bought a Huawei P8, my wife will kill me as I already have 3 personal smartphones plus 1 for the office lol

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,236 of 3,525
  Just switched to LG V10 last week.  Surprisingly to find out that it can even power the 600ohm DT990 to a very satisfying level.

However, I also found that most of the audio players with gapless feature will not be able to profit from the Hifi DAC, what a shame. 

Having tried numerous apps, including Poweramp, Neutron Music Player, PlayerPro and a bunch of others, none of them works.

Only with PlayPro, I can get the hifi DAC to work with DSP turned off, which also makes gapless play stop functioning. 

The only app that can be somewhat working is GoneMAD, each time I open that app, I will have to go to the Settings->Audio->Playback and cycle the "Enable Gapless Playback" once, then it will play music with both hifi DAC and gapless enabled.  Very annoying, since I have to do it every time when starting the app or after a pause! But at least it provides a way to listen to any album that requires gapless feature.  

https://www.lg.com/us/support/email-appointment

Everyone, please email LG about this DAC compatibility issue. 
They need to fix the following:

#1 Internal DAC compatibility with other music apps such as HibyMusic, UAPP, Neutron.
#2 A proper folder browser for stock music app. It should be able to read all subfolders which don't contain music files. It should navigate folders like Mac Finder, Windows Explorer. Currently, it shows only a list of folders which contain music files inside.
#3 There's only one plain theme for stock music app. They should offer more themes for it.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,237 of 3,525

Gapless is working fine on mine on the stock music player.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,238 of 3,525
https://www.lg.com/us/support/email-appointment

Everyone, please email LG about this DAC compatibility issue. 
They need to fix the following:

#1 Internal DAC compatibility with other music apps such as HibyMusic, UAPP, Neutron.
#2 A proper folder browser for stock music app. It should be able to read all subfolders which don't contain music files. It should navigate folders like Mac Finder, Windows Explorer. Currently, it shows only a list of folders which contain music files inside.
#3 There's only one plain theme for stock music app. They should offer more themes for it.

There have always been compatibility issues with Neutron and Poweramp with all devices I've been using till now. If it works well with one it won't with the other. I got headaches finding the right application for my S6, so I end up using the stock player with no add on.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,239 of 3,525
Buy it on American Ebay website... 
I might move to Canada very soon. Verizon guys told me there's a Canadian Verizon so if I move to Canada, I can easily change my service to a Canadian one. Is that true? 
If that's the case, I can simply bring my V10 to Canada with the same Verizon service.

Ah, a little nervous about eBay. As for a Canadian Verizon, no. And if he's referring to WIND, I wouldn't recommend them to my enemies.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,240 of 3,525
Gapless is working fine on mine on the stock music player.

Ha, I tried numerous others, but not the stock player since I read in a different thread that it doesn't do gapless, also it didn't do folders with sub folder structure.

Indeed, it is working with gapless with hifi DAC on.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will live with it until there is better one available.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,241 of 3,525
Ah, a little nervous about eBay. As for a Canadian Verizon, no. And if he's referring to WIND, I wouldn't recommend them to my enemies.

I see... 
How fast is Canadian internet? do you guys get max 10MB/s speed? 
It depends on providers, of course. If I put down $35 a month, how fast internet speed do I get? 
and how fast 4G network do you guys have over there?

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #1,243 of 3,525
Good news for europeans! Right yesterday LG announced that the V10 will be avaiable on Amazon.de (and then for the rest of the europe) for 649€, from the last days of December. Get hyped! :wink:

Source: http://lg.hdblog.it/2015/11/30/lg-v10-europa-germania [ITA]

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,244 of 3,525
This is kind of ridiculous but in XDA say there is a workaround to trigger the Hifi DAC with any app (including spotify or Neutron). You have to start a specific game that triggers the hifi dac and then change to the desired audio app....

Originally Posted by CoolBone  I kind of accidentally ran into this workaround. Probably exactly what people have been already suggesting.

1. Stream (not stored locally) a new tune on Play Music
2. Cycle Hi-Fi button to "turn it on", notice nothing happens and music gain is rather low.
3. Open up game Neko Atsume (with sound options muted in game)
4. Amp turns on, much higher gain and details in Google Play Music!
5. Collect some cute cats!

I'm not too sure if it uses the ESS DAC, but the amp definitely kicks in. I'm listening to streaming Google Play Music with DT770 Pro 250ohm and man they sound great. 30/70 with this trick sound crystal clear, beautiful details in the mids and highs and there's actually some bass! Not to mention actually having a soundstage.

Sometimes you need to reopen the game if Play Music reverts to the Snapdragon DAC. But you don't have to leave the game open, you can switch between apps.

This guy tried with play music but others say it works with almost any app.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,245 of 3,525
Phone is here.

It's really a tremendous phone. As long as you're okay with the bigger size, then I really don't see any drawbacks.

I think the music playback ability of the device is being a little overhyped in here, but it IS better than any cell phone I've had so far. This phone won't have the refinement of top-tier DAPs, but everything sounds nice and balanced. With the DT1350 there's a ridiculous amount of headroom/power to drive them well. The bass feels a hair exaggerated, but it's tasteful and doesn't interfere with the rest of the sound signature.

Throw in a top notch camera and this thing is hard to beat. Especially considering I got it for $375.

I'm very impressed.

As a side note, the default music player is adequate. Don't hold your breath on a wide range of compatible music programs. App designers could tweak their apps to work with the DAC, but they don't want to get into the game of trying to support each and every device that comes out. Maybe that will change, but it's going to take some time. PowerAmp has said as much in their forums when asked about the V10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back