LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #916 of 3,525
Ive never seen a pop up or anything saying high or low imoedance. Interesting to read that. It works great with every headphone ive tried though. Anywhere from 16 ohm to 64 ohm.

Only happens sometimes after plugging headphones in. You should see a small, thin blue popup about 2/3 down the screen saying the volume level has been modified. Think it might only happen when auto switching from normal to high. Tried but couldn't get a screen capture of it.

What I experienced so far was that there was no pop-up saying it realize the high load headphones. However, the effects can easily be seen. It will be much louder, cleaner, and pumping once turn on hi-if dac...vs....default snap-dragon. He could very well meant that the auto detection in the V10 pumped out so much power that it actually may damage the Z7 on max volume setting. Like I said before, z7 with 45-55 volume is ears blowing....and I didn't dare going max volume as it will bring deafness in a couple minutes. Therefore, he could verify that Z7 is hard to drive according to the auto detection behavior on the V10, and I don't doubt that. It has a very huge drivers
biggrin.gif
even though the voice coil resistivity is 70-80, it is much harder than that to move such large diaphragm.....regardless, V10 drives it with authorities. I believe Z7 is one of the best full sized headphones for V10 in the mid to high-end audio equipment, and I believe V10 with Z7 will beats most of the mid tier DAP without problems at all.

So it is like if you hit a lottery, you want a mid tier dedicated player, and a phone ? V10 is the answer, also the price is so cheap and actually only a couple hundreds away from mid tier DAP which has ways less appeal and functions.

I agree. The Z7 seems perfect for the V10.

However, I found another quirk of the adaptive amp. I understand why LG made it that way: always on would kill the battery (like daps where we are lucky to get 10hrs use) so they made it turn off automatically once headphone is removed. The normal vs high power output is likely prevent damage.

Problem is, for my mk3, I tried switching to a cable with remote so I could control playback. Each time the V10 went to normal mode instead of high (explains why I got different results with my 61 ohm HD598). Seems it defaults to normal with any headphone using an in-line mic/remote (I tried a non-remote 4-pole cable to be sure it wasn't just the extra rings). I guess they assume no high-end or high impedance headphones use an in-line remote. So, I can't control playback on high impedance unless I navigate fully from the phone.

I don't have a remote cable for my Z7 though (was just about to order one for a D7100 on ebay too) so if anyone has one I'd appreciate if you could try it and post whether it shows normal or high. To see it you must go to main phone settings, tab over to sound and notifications, scroll down to hifi dac and touch it. The next screen (below) will show what mode it's in. I usually go back to the previous screen, unplug the headphones (dac turns off), then reconnect and recheck again to be sure.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #918 of 3,525
  can you guys post pics of you phone with the case and post case info.

think i'm gonna need a case.  looking for the thinnest one.

thanks guys.

Otterbox arrived today. Here's some pics with a Note 3 otterbox (empty; used it to take the pics), R10, and Ponoplayer for some size reference. Unfortunately, it's about 1/4in taller than the Note 3 w/ otterbox and a bit thicker. But I don't care. The phone is much better protected and can do it all (incredible sound, manual control camera with ois and f1.8, 4gb ram, and very little bloatware). Always wanted an otterbox defender for my daps; looks like I finally got one (except its a phone and camera as well). I'm loving this phone so far.

Fyi: clearance around the headphone jack is 10mm wide and 4mm deep.

I find it odd what app the hifi dac works with.  Yesterday I was at the gym using tidal, when I switched to a streaming video site, the hifi dac stayed on and I was streaming on hifi.  So I thought i would try it with spotify.  When I switched to spotify with the dac on, the dac toggled off once spotify was on.  Just thought I shared this.

Can't wait for an update where dac works for everything.

Yeah, I'm wondering if there's a way to trick the V10 into keeping the dac on with high impedance all the time.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #919 of 3,525
What's the difference between using 50 ohm at a lower volume and 32 ohm at a higher volume?  I'm not sure I understand but I still think it would be nice to have a Gain setting in case.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #920 of 3,525
I'm far from an expert on this, however, I don't believe you can hear a difference. It's more so (definitely in my case) for wanting more volume for lower impedance IEMS/headphones.

I've never heard a difference in SQ while switching gain switches on other devices.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #921 of 3,525
Listening to some Angra right now on Tidal (in flac of course) with the Q701 and the V10. This is such a good combination. For me this is perfection. I've always loved the Q701, but this pairing is just awesome. Plenty of power for the Q701 at 62ohms. Listening at 35 out of 75, so there is plenty more to go.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #922 of 3,525
  What's the difference between using 50 ohm at a lower volume and 32 ohm at a higher volume?  I'm not sure I understand but I still think it would be nice to have a Gain setting in case.

The V10 limits how much power it's amp can output based on the headphone's impedance. So the 32 ohm is given normal power and the volume (even at max depending on the particular headphone) may not be loud enough. The 50 ohm gets access to the full output power and thus could be driven to extremely loud volumes. With no gain switch, you're stuck with whichever amount of power the V10 deems necessary.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #924 of 3,525
Should be an easy firmware update. I'd imagine someone on XDA would be able to change it as well. I'm going to do some digging, maybe I can find the right spot and enable it myself. I'll look into it later. Would be nice if it was in the build.prop, but I seriously doubt it.

I did find something, I also enabled it, but I don't hear a major difference. Could be because I was listening to one of my employees ear buds. I'll try later when I return from work.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #925 of 3,525
Should be an easy firmware update. I'd imagine someone on XDA would be able to change it as well. I'm going to do some digging, maybe I can find the right spot and enable it myself. I'll look into it later. Would be nice if it was in the build.prop, but I seriously doubt it.

I did find something, I also enabled it, but I don't hear a major difference. Could be because I was listening to one of my employees ear buds. I'll try later when I return from work.

I'm team warrior1975 on this one! Let's somehow enable a toggle to go "full power" and then this phone will go with me to my grave. That would be the icing on the cake. 

Meanwhile, I'm actually seeking out high-impedance headphones just to hear the difference. This will be a $500 endeavor :)

-Collin-

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #926 of 3,525
I'm team warrior1975 on this one! Let's somehow enable a toggle to go "full power" and then this phone will go with me to my grave. That would be the icing on the cake. 

Meanwhile, I'm actually seeking out high-impedance headphones just to hear the difference. This will be a $500 endeavor :)

-Collin-

There was a guy on here who said it powered his HD650 well, and the HD650 is 300ohm.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #927 of 3,525
WOW, really? Does it compare with powerful portable amps? 

I use my HD650 with a Cayin C5 amp and in my mind i was thinking to change the HD650 for a Fidelio X2 (much easier to power) and go for the V10. The idea is reduce the gear but getting superb audio in combination with a great phone too.

Any news for an official Euro release of the V10? I can only see import devices from Asia...

Anyone has tried the Fidelio X2 with the V10?

I used to own the FiiO E18 until recently. I used to love that decent dac/amp until the LG V10, it powers my hd650s perfectly, I could never raise the volume pass 55,its just too damm loud. I'm in complete shock with the sound level and quality out of the v10, my favorite smart phone thus far. I ended up selling my FiiO E18 on eBay three days after.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #928 of 3,525
The V10 limits how much power it's amp can output based on the headphone's impedance. So the 32 ohm is given normal power and the volume (even at max depending on the particular headphone) may not be loud enough. The 50 ohm gets access to the full output power and thus could be driven to extremely loud volumes. With no gain switch, you're stuck with whichever amount of power the V10 deems necessary.

really tempted to purchase this after seeing Expanseys link, but concerned about this power issue. Could anyone confirm compatability with Shure se846's as they only run on 9 ohm. Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #929 of 3,525
I used to own the FiiO E18 until recently. I used to love that decent dac/amp until the LG V10, it powers my hd650s perfectly, I could never raise the volume pass 55,its just too damm loud. I'm in complete shock with the sound level and quality out of the v10, my favorite smart phone thus far. I ended up selling my FiiO E18 on eBay three days after.

Just got my e18 two weeks ago. Thinking about returning it since getting the V10.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #930 of 3,525
Sorry bro, if you root V4A sounds incredible.

I don't have a V10, but I do have a rooted Note 5. Why would Viper4Android make things sound better? Not dissing you or anything, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back