LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #871 of 3,525
I love my v10, it pairs perfectly with my HD650.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #873 of 3,525
Anyone using Tidal with the v10? Is there some way to do some EQ or do I have to download some app? Thanks.

Only way to eq tidal or spotify is with v4a which will require your phone to be rooted first.

We are trying to start a bounty on xda for the Verizon and att variants if anyone interested in contributing and wanting a root for their phones

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #874 of 3,525
Only way to eq tidal or spotify is with v4a which will require your phone to be rooted first.

We are trying to start a bounty on xda for the Verizon and att variants if anyone interested in contributing and wanting a root for their phones

I do want root for my Verizon variant but I should add that without root I've been pleasantly surprised that I'm able to disable 99% of my bloatware (and there wasn't a lot)!  Only thing I couldn't disable so far was Verizon Voicemail but that's not a big deal and technically not bloatware.  But I use Google Voice so Verizon VM is irrelevant for me.

Also, doesn't have nearly as much garbage as my Samsung Note 3 did.  My god Samsung was the worst it was literally layers and layers thick of trash.  And most of it wasn't Verizon - It was Samsungs crap. Intrusive Samsung self-updaters, Stores, apps galore...

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #876 of 3,525
Sidnote, I'm really testing the drop resistance.... 2nd time already. This time pretty bad, chipped my screen protector. Only a 2ft drop, fell out of pocket while seated

Good to hear your V10 survived but, man, you're really testing it's durability. Don't even have mine yet and already feel like there's a V10 somewhere at risk.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #877 of 3,525
I've just read some posts about the low difference about sound quality and loudness turning on the Hi-Fi toggle if listening with low-impedance IEMs/Headphones.
Can you tell me how it would work with a these IEMs (Sony MDR-EX 450)? Will I really need to spend high budget to get medium-high impedance headphones to ear a difference with the Hi-Fi DAC on V10?

Hopefully waiting for your answer D:

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #878 of 3,525
Could someone care to compare V10 and Meizu Pro 5 sound wise or at least explain which is the best on paper?

- V10:  LG has selected ESS 32 bit SABRE 9018 DAC and SABRE 9602 Headphone Amp to deliver a superior audio experience with industry leading dynamic range of up to 127dB and THD+N (total harmonic distortion plus noise) of -120dB. "Finally, a few more technical notes on audio. LG's tossed some serious 32-bit audio playback tech into the V10. It's got an ESS Sabre 9018C2M digital to analog converter chip inside, as well as a 9602C headphone amplifier. (OK, so maybe the V10 is still a little bit about content consumption.) And the chips are positioned at the bottom of the phone, closer to the headphone jack, to prevent "crosstalk," or audio leakage from one channel to another, LG says."

- Pro 5: http://www.meizu.com/products/pro5/hifi.html more details with Google Translate
We chose ES9018K2M as DAC, the core reason is that it has up to 127dB SNR, can greatly reduce background noise, ​
with its dynamic range of up to 123dB sound details can be hearty expression. Whether it is a slight distal symphony drums, or vocals ear ​
ventilation throat section, you can easily capture. At the same time, we use the OPA1612 Fengyun professional chip as an audio amplifier. From 1Hz to 80kHz common-mode ​
rejection ratio of 120dB is always kept constant, so that playback system is very low distortion, high resolving power. In addition, we also use a fully symmetric passive filtering architecture, further eliminate digital noise reduction you should hear. It looks like the same set up as MX4 Pro except for added 4 transistors + Supports balanced output headphones. (​
http://www.meizu.com/products/mx4pro/hifi.html)

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #879 of 3,525
So true, Samsung is horrible with their bloat ware, drives me crazy. I really hope the phone manufacturers continue bringing Hugh end audio. I'm still in awe of this device.

Love this thing. As a phone in whole not just because of the dac. Lg hit out of the park imo.

Just saw a commercials for HTC one. I think I saw high res or 24bit. Either way, I think it's a good sign for us audio freaks. Phone companies are finally relizing people are moving away from a dap and just using their phones for full media playback. Which in turn means we need better sq coming out of phones.

I'm excited, waiting for a phone with a powerful amp chip. Then it would really be game over.

Good to hear your V10 survived but, man, you're really testing it's durability. Don't even have mine yet and already feel like there's a V10 somewhere at risk.

Ya, I'm starting to consider a case. But then I remember I have insurance.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #880 of 3,525
  Could someone care to compare V10 and Meizu Pro 5 sound wise or at least explain which is the best on paper?

- V10:  LG has selected ESS 32 bit SABRE 9018 DAC and SABRE 9602 Headphone Amp to deliver a superior audio experience with industry leading dynamic range of up to 127dB and THD+N (total harmonic distortion plus noise) of -120dB. "Finally, a few more technical notes on audio. LG's tossed some serious 32-bit audio playback tech into the V10. It's got an ESS Sabre 9018C2M digital to analog converter chip inside, as well as a 9602C headphone amplifier. (OK, so maybe the V10 is still a little bit about content consumption.) And the chips are positioned at the bottom of the phone, closer to the headphone jack, to prevent "crosstalk," or audio leakage from one channel to another, LG says."

- Pro 5: http://www.meizu.com/products/pro5/hifi.html more details with Google Translate
We chose ES9018K2M as DAC, the core reason is that it has up to 127dB SNR, can greatly reduce background noise, ​
with its dynamic range of up to 123dB sound details can be hearty expression. Whether it is a slight distal symphony drums, or vocals ear ​
ventilation throat section, you can easily capture. At the same time, we use the OPA1612 Fengyun professional chip as an audio amplifier. From 1Hz to 80kHz common-mode ​
rejection ratio of 120dB is always kept constant, so that playback system is very low distortion, high resolving power. In addition, we also use a fully symmetric passive filtering architecture, further eliminate digital noise reduction you should hear. It looks like the same set up as MX4 Pro except for added 4 transistors + Supports balanced output headphones. (​
http://www.meizu.com/products/mx4pro/hifi.html)

I was wondering the same, and it looks really attractive for the price, but I haven't heard good things about Meizu at all, apparently their phones are heavily bloated and you can't get rid of it, no root support, no support in general, the overall risk is too high.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #884 of 3,525
It plays just fine, but ESS DAC just won't get accessed into. Either wait for an upgrade from power amp and Spotify or lg.

What about the developer option to use AwesomePlayer? Read somewhere that it enables the DAC in more apps with headphones.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #885 of 3,525

I was wondering the same, and it looks really attractive for the price, but I haven't heard good things about Meizu at all, apparently their phones are heavily bloated and you can't get rid of it, no root support, no support in general, the overall risk is too high.

I dont understand what are you talking about? Meizu phones are pretty famous. I knew about them since Meizu M9 and I owned Meizu MX2 several yers ago. What do you mean by bloated? There may be some issues as quality control is a bit lower than on A-grade manufacturer devices. Root support is out of the box, Flyme is updated pretty often and there are cloud services and overall support which they provide. Please do not speak about things you are completely unaware about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back