LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Nov 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #856 of 3,525
Guy's, i think u don't understand me :/
When the "HI-FI" toggle is off, then i press it and change to ON i hear the PAUSE (half of second), but after this, the volume and even quality don't change, but if i put the Sennheiser's (much more impedence) the situation is change dramaticaly - when i press ON of the HI-FI, again i hear the PAUSE, but after this now i can hear the diffrence very well - the volume increase much louder and quality also has improve! This is looking like when i plug the XBA-H3 the toggling ON/OFF HI-FI doesnt change enything (maybe the DAC is active, i only tell that is no changes in sound),but when I plug Sennheiser's headphones the change of toggling ON/OFF work's perfect!

I understand completely. With both of my full size headphones, which both have an impedance in the low 60's, the volume change is very significant. With all the iem's I've tried the volume change is minimal. All of my iem's are between 16 and 40 ohm. I know what you are saying. The ess dac and amp is active though. The reason there are different results with different headphones and iem's is because the amp is adaptive based on the impedance that the amp is seeing.

When you hear the "pause" when toggling hifi mode on and off that "pause" is the phone switching between the snapdragon amp/dac and the ess amp/dac. There is no question about that.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #858 of 3,525
I understand that the items headphone volume does not increase because they have a low Impedance, but the strange thing is that the quality  does not change, and this is the most I mean :)

It should. Like i said earlier, there could be many reasons for that. Could be you, the music itself, the files themselves, could be your iem's just arent resolving enough to tell the difference. It can be harder to tell the difference between dac's than the difference between amps. Load up some songs you are familiar with that should show off good equipment ripped in flac and listen closely.

Coming from an HTC One M9, using the same headphones and the same music files the difference is significant, at least to me. Listening at the same(ish) volume, the V10 just sounds leagues above the M9. Better clarity, more detail, better dynamics, no background hiss even with 16ohm iem's. This phone is just going to be in a different class than anything so far from HTC, Samsung, Apple, Motorola, or any other brands that are mainstream here in the US.

Im sorry if you cant hear the difference.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #859 of 3,525
I understand that the items headphone volume does not increase because they have a low Impedance, but the strange thing is that the quality  does not change, and this is the most I mean :)

For my IEMS, it's not a night and day difference. It's there, but you have to listen closely. When you are listening, what type of environment are you in? Is it quiet? If it's noisy, that will obviously make it a bit harder to hear the differences.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #860 of 3,525
  Could it be the adaptive amp/pump feature? Basically, the amp can tell how much resistance is in the headphones and adjusts the volume/current to compensate. That may be why some headphones don't sound so loud while others do? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to be adaptive. When I tried the V10 at the store with some cheap earbuds (all I had at the time) I got a popup after plugging them in. Said something like the audio had been adjusted according to the headphone (wish I could remember the exact words; will have to test it again when my V10 arrives). It detected the low impedance. Makes sense since the dac won't engage unless headphones are connected.

I also couldn't hear much difference turning the dac off/on at that time but I almost never use earbuds and those were ones that came with an old nokia phone I have. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #863 of 3,525
Anyone using Tidal with the v10? Is there some way to do some EQ or do I have to download some app? Thanks.

Tidal does not have an EQ and I'm not aware of anyway to get a system wide EQ without root on an Android phone.

Doesnt bother me. I dont need to EQ any of my headphones.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #866 of 3,525

Not sure if it was mentioned here before but I noticed the V10's dimensions are closer to the iphone 6s plus than any other phone.

When it was announced I couldn't figure out why LG was going bigger than even the Samsung Notes but now I think they wanted the V10 to be compared more with the iphone.

I wish the V10 was smaller; phones just keep getting bigger an bigger for less practical reasons.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #867 of 3,525
Had mine since oct 30th, and its my first big phone. Last 2 phones were the Galaxy S4 and HTC M9. I got use to the size very quickly, and it didnt really bother me from day one.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #868 of 3,525
Not sure if it was mentioned here before but I noticed the V10's dimensions are closer to the iphone 6s plus than any other phone.

When it was announced I couldn't figure out why LG was going bigger than even the Samsung Notes but now I think they wanted the V10 to be compared more with the iphone.

I wish the V10 was smaller; phones just keep getting bigger an bigger for less practical reasons.

I wouldn't worry too much able about size. I went from an iPhone 5 to a oneplus one and now to the v10. I can't go back to a small phone now. My wife iPhone 6 seem tiny to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back