LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Jan 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #556 of 1,179

Try this and see if it makes any difference:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg/1950#post_12291293

Nope, tried it multiple times with my MA750's and it still didn't trigger. Those are the only low impedance 'phones I have on hand (my other usuals are HD598's and Yuin PK1's, both 50+ ohms). Anyway, tricking it into AUX mode is pretty simple and nets the same results, so that will work for now. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #557 of 1,179
  UPDATE: If your headphones have a removable cable you can also get AUX power mode by plugging the cable into the V10 first then connecting the headphones last.

Here are some partial solutions (without using an impedance adapter) if you need more power from the V10's amp. They should help until we (hopefully) get a manual gain option for the V10.

I used this adapter but a 3.5mm extension cable also works:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

First, plug the extender (with nothing connected on the other end) into the V10. The DAC should turn on (if not switch it on) and the amp will go into AUX mode:

Then plug your headphones into the extender and the V10 will stay in AUX mode.

AUX mode's power output is very similar to high mode and can make a big difference with lower impedance headphones (that can handle more power) like the Oppo PM-3.

High impedance mode swap
If you plug headphones into the extender first then connect it to the phone, the V10 detects the headphones as designed. I did this with my Fostex mk3 to get high impedance mode but when changing headphones at the extender end (leaving the extender plugged into the phone) the dac stays on and on high power. This allows me to use any headphone on high with the V10. Even if you turn the dac off with the extender plugged in, it will remain on high power when switched back on. Removing the extension resets the V10's auto impedance detection so this method may not be ideal for travel but works fine for home use.

NOTE: high impedance mode is NOT compatible with cables that have in-line mics and remote buttons. However, I was able to use remote/mic cables in AUX mode with several music apps.

Just wanted to thank this posterr ofr the tip. I had just posted with my impression on the V10 with my disappointment in the gain setting for low impedance headphones, specifically my Urbanites, but this information helped big time. With this method I was able to trick the amp to a much higher output and now have plenty of volume and the end result is perfection.. I am someone who really enjoys music quite oud and now I find my music much more immersive.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #559 of 1,179
If the difference is not THAT great it would be no need to get the V10
wink.gif

whether you use the DAC or not, you still use the amp which is great either way.
if you can get a LG G4 which has the same snapdragon CS but weaker amp you'll notice the difference right away.

what the DAC does for high impedance headphones is increase the gain. but if you dont need that then there really isnt any noticeable difference.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #560 of 1,179
Just got my LG V10 today! what to say, It's amazing, I do recommend it.

I always wanted to buy something like DX50 or Fiio DAP, for a while my set was either 5G iPod classic or Note3 + Fiio e17k alpen 2, Now, no more I need to carry two devices!

I have a DT 1350, and the sound is great, depending on the genre and the media I find myself lowering the volume, then I installed the fix app from Google store, I was completely surprised how the quality and amplification improved with Spotify and Youtube, I was really impressed without the fix, the fix just took it to another level.

Thanks everyone for providing a good advice, it worth the price and wait, I'm so happy with it.

If you want me to rant :D, well, it's a little bit difficult to hold although my hands are big and I come from Note3 experience before, but I'm loving the screen, quality and size, also I have the light bleed in the secondary screen, but really, I don't care, the sound quality is what I care about most, and it's like nothing I experienced in a phone before.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #561 of 1,179
Welcome to the club.

All V10s have light bleed on the 2nd screen due to it being side-lit rather than back lit like the main screen.

Ironic how other daps (that cost twice as much or more) have much lower res screens and lag due to low ram. No issues there with the V10's quad HD screen and 4gb ram. But some still dismiss the it as a mid to high-end dap because its a phone.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #562 of 1,179
Welcome to the club.

All V10s have light bleed on the 2nd screen due to it being side-lit rather than back lit like the main screen.

Ironic how other daps (that cost twice as much or more) have much lower res screens and lag due to low ram. No issues there with the V10's quad HD screen and 4gb ram. But some still dismiss the it as a mid to high-end dap because its a phone.

I would categorize it as a mid-tier DAP. Not because it is a phone, but because it doesn't have "balanced out" connection and real high-end proper tonality. Regardless of however many different people, manufacturers would be so firm that single ended can sound just as good ?

Not even Onkyo and Pioneer new DAP can be considered high-end to me, just due to the tonality that it reproduce. The Onkyo has balanced out, but when I hear guitar and guzheng or 2 guitars sound similar that I can not even tell which is which ? It is mid-tier DAP.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #563 of 1,179
  Just got my LG V10 today! what to say, It's amazing, I do recommend it.

I always wanted to buy something like DX50 or Fiio DAP, for a while my set was either 5G iPod classic or Note3 + Fiio e17k alpen 2, Now, no more I need to carry two devices!

I have a DT 1350, and the sound is great, depending on the genre and the media I find myself lowering the volume, then I installed the fix app from Google store, I was completely surprised how the quality and amplification improved with Spotify and Youtube, I was really impressed without the fix, the fix just took it to another level.

Thanks everyone for providing a good advice, it worth the price and wait, I'm so happy with it.

If you want me to rant :D, well, it's a little bit difficult to hold although my hands are big and I come from Note3 experience before, but I'm loving the screen, quality and size, also I have the light bleed in the secondary screen, but really, I don't care, the sound quality is what I care about most, and it's like nothing I experienced in a phone before.

Just to let you know, if you didn't know already...the second screen can be turned off so it doesn't cause the "bleeding effect" in a dark room.
It doesn't bother me at all, but just in case you weren't aware.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #564 of 1,179
I would categorize it as a mid-tier DAP. Not because it is a phone, but because it doesn't have "balanced out" connection and real high-end proper tonality. Regardless of however many different people, manufacturers would be so firm that single ended can sound just as good ?

Not even Onkyo and Pioneer new DAP can be considered high-end to me, just due to the tonality that it reproduce. The Onkyo has balanced out, but when I hear guitar and guzheng or 2 guitars sound similar that I can not even tell which is which ? It is mid-tier DAP.

Fair enough. I also wish the V10 had balanced out but that may be asking too much of a multi-use device.

But which daps do you consider to be high-end (is the Tera Player among them)?
Still have my iBasso R10 which would have been high-end until the past couple years and its SE only.

Since A&K and Pono, we are starting to see more daps with balanced outs. I just hope we don't fall prey to rating TOTL ones by highest price.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #565 of 1,179
Fair enough. I also wish the V10 had balanced out but that may be asking too much of a multi-use device.

But which daps do you consider to be high-end (is the Tera Player among them)?

Still have my iBasso R10 which would have been high-end until the past couple years and its SE only.

Since A&K and Pono, we are starting to see more daps with balanced outs. I just hope we don't fall prey to rating TOTL ones by highest price.

To me, high-end dap must have balanced and great tonal body characteristic. The one with SE but has great tonal body would be Mojo...no balanced :xf_eek: sadly. Sony Zx2 is also high-end worthy, AK240 is old technologies and is surpassed by others, ak380....top dog at the moment in price...not sure about performances, Cowon plenue S could be as well, but it lacks Bluetooth and wifi function ?...etc...etc...

For all that said, I am still trying to find a good dap to upgrade from zx2 that is to my preferences and with balanced output...and I see so little devices as stated above. Used Zx2 is cheaper now

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #566 of 1,179
Hey thanks! actually, it doesn't bleed, the reason that I though it bleeds was the way it showed a message notification with a white background, there is a gradient light intensity, but when the screen has a black background, there is nothing.

Here is a another equation, yesterday when I was charging my phone using my MBP usb, the sound volume showed the sign that it usually shows when I plugin my Fiio DAC, I couldn't test it because I was at work at the time, but later at home, I couldn't replicate the same thing again, and I was wondering if the device can work as an external HiFi DAC for my MBP. any ideas? am I asking too much now from the device :D, because later I want it to prepare my morning coffee :D

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #567 of 1,179
I've sang my praises for the LG v10s music capability so many times already. But as a phone, it's total crap!
I am unsure if this is a software or hardware issue. But 3 out of 10 times, the mic won't work when I make or receive phone calls. Anyone has similar problems in the past??? Please share your experience or solution. Thanks!!

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #568 of 1,179
You're 100% sure about this? Only the stock music app allows the use of the hifi DAC? So Google play music or Spotify can't use the hifi DAC with headphones?

There are a couple of work-arounds-

1. Enable developer options and toggle "use awesome player, instead of me player". This selection option will allow you to use it with most any music player and accommodate streaming audio.

2. The other option, which I literally found today, is an app in the play store. It's called DAC fix, does NOT require root and asks for zero unnecessary permissions. This option will cover all audio, including videos (local, YouTube, etc...). The deb also missed an opportunity to make a small fortune; it's free, period. Had he used the trial model, he'd have a ridiculous conversion rate @ $4.99 or less.

And, no, I'm not the developer, nor do I know him. I'm just highly impressed with a very simple fix to a huge shortcoming for those of us who bought this phone primarily for the audio capability.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #569 of 1,179
I've sang my praises for the LG v10s music capability so many times already. But as a phone, it's total crap!
I am unsure if this is a software or hardware issue. But 3 out of 10 times, the mic won't work when I make or receive phone calls. Anyone has similar problems in the past??? Please share your experience or solution. Thanks!!

Never had that issue. I'd say you probably have a defective unit

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #570 of 1,179
Reading the whole thread was a ride. Sincerely thinking picking the lg v10 over the note 4 (Letv One Pro as another candidat). I listen either to flac local or stream tidal/soundcloud/bandcamp and using the X3SG with Audiofly AF180 has it's ups and downs (ui and no music streams but strong battery). Has someone tested all three or can help me choose? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back