LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Dec 27, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #451 of 1,179
The v10 is a nice phone, audio from headphone out is better than other phones I had, but it is not better than Fiio x5 or DX90, I don't even think it is on par with the Fiio x1 I had briefly last year.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #452 of 1,179
  The v10 is a nice phone, audio from headphone out is better than other phones I had, but it is not better than Fiio x5 or DX90, I don't even think it is on par with the Fiio x1 I had briefly last year.

The X5 has 3 amp chips and the DX90 has dual dacs. Not really a fair comparison.

V10's real advantage is having great sound quality without carrying extra gear. People can carry a triple stack for the best possible handheld sound but the V10 (with the right headphones) isn't too far behind the best daps and you always have that sound with you anywhere you carry your phone.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #453 of 1,179
I agreed the phone is very convenient to use if you want to listen to some music on the go, it pairs very nice with the JVC FX1100 and Dita Answer, it produce listenable sound,  but it is far cry from a dedicated DAP, personally I rather carry stack gears or a DAP to get better sound over convenience.
Maybe I expected too much, I rushed out yesterday got one after I saw this post.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #454 of 1,179
Anyone know what the deal will be with eu volume limits? If LG are going to adhear to them blindly or have managed to sort it with the automatic impedance thing the phone has.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #455 of 1,179
Quote:
  I agreed the phone is very convenient to use if you want to listen to some music on the go, it pairs very nice with the JVC FX1100 and Dita Answer, it produce listenable sound,  but it is far cry from a dedicated DAP, personally I rather carry stack gears or a DAP to get better sound over convenience.
Maybe I expected too much, I rushed out yesterday got one after I saw this post.

I disagree.

Did some very careful A/B comparisons with my mid to high end daps and the V10 was as high as 90% there with them (including my R10).

All of them sound good (haven't exactly heard a bad sounding dap recently) but they sound different too. V10 isn't as quite as smooth as the R10 but does have a bit more detail than the AK Jr.

I think some are judging the V10 solely on their preferred sound signature rather than it's overall sound quality.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #456 of 1,179
I don't even think it is on par with the Fiio x1 I had briefly last year.

It most certainly is, I own both,[now not last year.] and the V10's ability to drive higher impedance headphones with more power is just unparalleled by the X1. Using the AKG Q701 with both makes this very obvious. Granted the X1 just a $100 player and yes it would destroy pretty much any cell phones out there but not this one. YMMV.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #457 of 1,179
  Quick question..... V10 supports apple lossless, right? Thanks!

It does but it's a bit odd. Out of the box, the hi-fi dac does NOT work with all media apps and the stock media player does not play apple lossless files. I had trouble finding a third party media player that both worked with the dac and played alac files. However, recently and xda memeber created an app that can be downloaded form the play store that will trick the dac into working with all third party apps. Once that app is installed and enabled, you simply have to get a media app that plays alac and your done. Hopefully it will be more straight forward when we get the update for marshmallow but I'm not sure it will...

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #458 of 1,179
I love the blackness it give to the music but the sound stage is not as wide as I want it to be... good thing that it pair up well with my Oppo-HA2.   Happy camper with this setup.  At least i dont have to carry my macbook around.

LG V10> Oneplus 2> Oneplus one> Note 4 edge> Nexus 6/6p

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #459 of 1,179
I am new to this forum, and loving this thread.  I am hoping to receive feedback as to whether I performed a fair comparison test.

I brought my Etymotic ER-6P along with my Note 5 to the store to compare it to the V10.  I enabled the DAC on the V10 and compared the audio using a Tidal demo page using the Chrome browser on both phones.

http://tidal.com/us/video/lossless-explained

In reading this thread, I'm guessing that if the DAC fix app wasn't installed, then I wasn't giving the V10 the full treatment.  The DAC setting made a huge improvement, but the DAC fix app might have added ever more.

The test, as I defined it, had the two phones perform closer that I would have expected.  Max volume was nearly equal with the Note 5, possibly being a bit louder.  Note 5 sounded a little crisper on the highs and the V10 had more of a fuller sound in the mid and low frequencies.  Overall, I would marginally prefer the V10.

I would have expected a larger difference between the two which is why I ask if it is a fair test.

Coming from the mobile forums where everybody degrades each other, this thread is a breath of fresh air with the overall respectful and helpful tone.

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #460 of 1,179
I am new to this forum, and loving this thread.  I am hoping to receive feedback as to whether I performed a fair comparison test.

I brought my Etymotic ER-6P along with my Note 5 to the store to compare it to the V10.  I enabled the DAC on the V10 and compared the audio using a Tidal demo page using the Chrome browser on both phones.

http://tidal.com/us/video/lossless-explained

In reading this thread, I'm guessing that if the DAC fix app wasn't installed, then I wasn't giving the V10 the full treatment.  The DAC setting made a huge improvement, but the DAC fix app might have added ever more.

The test, as I defined it, had the two phones perform closer that I would have expected.  Max volume was nearly equal with the Note 5, possibly being a bit louder.  Note 5 sounded a little crisper on the highs and the V10 had more of a fuller sound in the mid and low frequencies.  Overall, I would marginally prefer the V10.

I would have expected a larger difference between the two which is why I ask if it is a fair test.

Coming from the mobile forums where everybody degrades each other, this thread is a breath of fresh air with the overall respectful and helpful tone.

Using the chrome browser without the "hifi everywhere" app installed the hifi DAC and amp would not have actually been enabled.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #462 of 1,179
If u r still debating, the lg native browser does infact use the HIFI DAC. When i want to listen to songs from youtube i open it from the browser instead of the app.

The only browser that came loaded on mine was Chrome which doesnt normally work with the hifi DAC. Is there another browser besides chrome on yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back