LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Nov 21, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #334 of 1,179
I was wondering if I could get some feedback regarding iem's for the LG V10.
Since my T-Mobile version didn't come with a set of QuadBeats 3 tuned by AKG I ended up purchasing a set of SoundMagic E10s.
Would these work well with the V10?

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #339 of 1,179
I submitted mine on November 10th and after 2 emails...I'm still in "SUBMITTED" status! 
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #340 of 1,179
Google Play Music will only go through the DAC if the song has already been downloaded to the device, e.g. offline music and songs you've already streamed that are stored in the app's cache. Just tested this myself. Play a song you've played before and probably cached then disable/enable the DAC, you'll get a slight pause in playback that indicates the DAC is being used and you'll notice a volume difference immediately. Do the same with a song you haven't played nor have cached and do the same, you won't get that slight pause nor the volume difference. I'm guessing other streaming applications may be the same but I haven't tried since I only use Google Play Music. Not sure if it's a limitation of the DAC or the app that the DAC won't process the audio data as it's streamed in instead of being cached/on storage.

I'm playing out of my AKG K240s and the DAC sounds amazing when it's being used.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #341 of 1,179
hey guys i really appreciate an answer as there is an offer from 6-8pm israel time just for today

if you install viper4android can u still use the hifi dac or not??? as I am confused now which dac will be in use if you use viper4android

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #342 of 1,179
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #343 of 1,179
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #344 of 1,179
Interesting that they've decided to stop using Wolfson. I don't know a lot about the differences, but the Wolfson chip in my Note 5 sounded very good (I've sold the Note 5 and I'm waiting for a European or Middle East version of the V10).

I am not sure how your definition of "good" is. Yet, I really like Wolfson, and Cirrus, but lately it is either Wolfson has been doing bad or whatever reason, Apple stopped using it for a while. Samsung note 4 exynos sounded so horrible with it. Bloated mid-bass, runny sub-bass, and veiled up mid and high frequency. I am not even talking about audiophile standard. Just sound in general. I found the snap-dragon variant note 4 was more acceptable than the Wolfson-exynos combo.

Anyways, I am not a fan of ESS. But the last device that I heard was V10, and it was damn good. Yet, it was dry, and somewhat thinner, but it makes the separation and clarity in a way of high-quality audiophile grade. However to apply audiophile standard, the only thing lacking was tonal body thickness. It is not uncommon either. Most of other mid-tier DAP, and devices that utilize op-amp and DAC chips are found with this signature. The only one that got away with it further is "Chord-Hugo" with their unique chips and design. Somehow they have made it right in between the mix

I am sure if one was a fan of fiio DAP or any devices with op-amp and DAC in general will find a lot of love for the V10.....magically counting little children of Astel&kern as I have read around..... Lg made it right. However, Samsung is another story. I keep hearing people raving about Samsung Wolfson and viber4android, and to only found that it was disappointing to me, even to standard audio quality. So would I trust Samsung again to make proper implications and expose full potentials of the ESS inside the S7 ? I am not sure. One thing for sure is that the V10 not only has the DAC, but also the Op-amp from ESS as well. I have yet to see any smartphone with such powerful audio amplification processing power like the V10....and most important at all, it was "pitch-black"

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #345 of 1,179
  it seems more and more companies will use hifi dacs samsung might be in the game as welll

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-may-equip-the-Galaxy-S7-with-a-top-shelf-ESS-audio-chip_id74942

Let's hope the others implement it right. Samsung supposedly had been using Wolfson chips for a while but it was often a mystery which models had it and if/when/how the dac was working.

LG has gotten it closest to right so far with ESS press release, the adaptive amp and, more importantly, an on/off setting for the dac. They also retained the micro sd slot and removable battery both of which Samsung abandoned. How much good will a Samsung with Sabre dac be without enough storage capability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back