LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance
Oct 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,098 of 1,179
Do you find that it sounds kind of thin in the highs and mids? I'm not sure I like the pairing, and may return them.

I think it is normal. I like the bass and the mids of Momentum. The highs is just ok for me. The only thing I don't like about it is the soundstage. All in all, I think it sounds fine.
I tried V10 with the ATH m50x before and I definitely choose Momentum over it any day.
However, I have another pair of ATH CKR9 and I like the sound of the highs better in this one. 

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,099 of 1,179
I think it is normal. I like the bass and the mids of Momentum. The highs is just ok for me. The only thing I don't like about it is the soundstage. All in all, I think it sounds fine.
I tried V10 with the ATH m50x before and I definitely choose Momentum over it any day.
However, I have another pair of ATH CKR9 and I like the sound of the highs better in this one. 

I didn't like the m50's either, too V shaped for me. I love the HD598's and Portapros out of the V10, maybe I'm just an open can guy.

Strangely enough, I picked up a pair of Marshall Monitors from Costco for 60 bucks on a whim the other day, and with a little eq from about 2k and up, its a dark but fun set of cans. I may return the Momentums and keep these

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,100 of 1,179
I didn't like the m50's either, too V shaped for me. I love the HD598's and Portapros out of the V10, maybe I'm just an open can guy.

Strangely enough, I picked up a pair of Marshall Monitors from Costco for 60 bucks on a whim the other day, and with a little eq from about 2k and up, its a dark but fun set of cans. I may return the Momentums and keep these

Try an AKG like the Q701 or whatever the one is that massdrop sells. If you like open back it doesn't get any better than this. Well maybe the HD800, but that probably deserves better than the V10.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,101 of 1,179
Try an AKG like the Q701 or whatever the one is that massdrop sells. If you like open back it doesn't get any better than this. Well maybe the HD800, but that probably deserves better than the V10.

Thanks, but I'm good. Very happy with my home rig with HD650's. I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy, I have Hd580's, HD650's, HD598se's and now Momentums. All my open pairs share a house sound, with the 580's and 650's obviously being more refined than the 598's, but the house sound is there. The Momentums don't sound anything like the others which surprised me.

I actually didn't like the 800's when I heard them, but would like to hear the 800S

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,102 of 1,179
Thanks, but I'm good. Very happy with my home rig with HD650's. I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy, I have Hd580's, HD650's, HD598se's and now Momentums. All my open pairs share a house sound, with the 580's and 650's obviously being more refined than the 598's, but the house sound is there. The Momentums don't sound anything like the others which surprised me.

I actually didn't like the 800's when I heard them, but would like to hear the 800S

I have a pair of 580s with 650 drivers and 650 cable. Great phones. Thinking of getting 650 or 600 grills next.
Also have AKG 702. I kind of wish I stayed in the same Sennheiser or AKG family as they both have a way of making the other headphone sound horrible after prolonged periods of listening to the former. It's always an adjustment for me.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,103 of 1,179
I have a pair of 580s with 650 drivers and 650 cable. Great phones. Thinking of getting 650 or 600 grills next.
Also have AKG 702. I kind of wish I stayed in the same Sennheiser or AKG family as they both have a way of making the other headphone sound horrible after prolonged periods of listening to the former. It's always an adjustment for me.

I've had my 580's for over 20 years, great cans. The 650's were the definite upgrade, 600's not so much. I actually liked my 580's more than the 600's, they were just smoother sounding. I know its not a technical term, but that's the best word to describe the difference. The 650's are just a bit better in every way, which adds up to a nice upgrade.

I wonder if the housings are tuned/damped differently between the 580's and 650's, or if you basically have 650's with plastic grills?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,104 of 1,179
I've had my 580's for over 20 years, great cans. The 650's were the definite upgrade, 600's not so much. I actually liked my 580's more than the 600's, they were just smoother sounding. I know its not a technical term, but that's the best word to describe the difference. The 650's are just a bit better in every way, which adds up to a nice upgrade.

I wonder if the housings are tuned/damped differently between the 580's and 650's, or if you basically have 650's with plastic grills?

I've read everything from the carbon fiber in the housing of the 600/650 vs the platic of the 580 makes a difference. Some say the 650 grills make all the difference where some say they can't perceive a difference when swapping grills. I do love these cans and the modularity you get with them. I think that is why Sennheiser charges much more for replacement parts these days. The 600 grills used to be like 6 bucks a piece and back in 2004-08 people were grabbing the 600 grills and swapping. Now they are 28 a piece of you want them. So I really have to think about the grills purchase.
If you can also test your 580 grills on your 650 and do a test for a perceived difference, that might help my cause.

Now for me the 650 cable came in a few weeks ago, and I hate to be one of those cable guys, but I swear it opened the 650 drivers up a bit more than the stock 600/580 cable.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,105 of 1,179
I've read everything from the carbon fiber in the housing of the 600/650 vs the platic of the 580 makes a difference. Some say the 650 grills make all the difference where some say they can't perceive a difference when swapping grills. I do love these cans and the modularity you get with them. I think that is why Sennheiser charges much more for replacement parts these days. The 600 grills used to be like 6 bucks a piece and back in 2004-08 people were grabbing the 600 grills and swapping. Now they are 28 a piece of you want them. So I really have to think about the grills purchase.
If you can also test your 580 grills on your 650 and do a test for a perceived difference, that might help my cause.

Now for me the 650 cable came in a few weeks ago, and I hate to be one of those cable guys, but I swear it opened the 650 drivers up a bit more than the stock 600/580 cable.

Years ago before I bought the 650's, I had the connector spring clip issue and Sennheiser sent my the 650 cable as a replacement because the connector is thicker, and it worked. The side benefit was the bass got a bit fuller and the mids and highs opened up a bit. I've never been a cable guy either, so it was a pleasant surprise. As to swapping grills, sorry bro, can't help you there. I lent them to my brother. When I get them back, if I get them back lol, I can check it out for you.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,106 of 1,179

Years ago before I bought the 650's, I had the connector spring clip issue and Sennheiser sent my the 650 cable as a replacement because the connector is thicker, and it worked. The side benefit was the bass got a bit fuller and the mids and highs opened up a bit. I've never been a cable guy either, so it was a pleasant surprise. As to swapping grills, sorry bro, can't help you there. I lent them to my brother. When I get them back, if I get them back lol, I can check it out for you.

Thanks. No problem on the grills. I know ultimately it's a subjective thing. Some guys have also said if you want to get the hd600/650 'air' tone on your 580s, is to just take the 580 grills off and give a listen. I've done that with my 580s with 650 drivers, and I was hard pressed to hear a change that was audible. So other than cosmetic, not sure if the grills would make a difference. If they were a little cheaper than the price Sennheiser wants is grab them. Otherwise I lurk in the for sale area hoping someone will sell off some grills.

Only thing Sennheiser doesn't do when you get the 650 cable is to send along the 3.5mm cable adapter. So without having one I'm out of luck using on my V10.

With my V10 I usually pair it with Etymotic Hf5. V10 is incredible there.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,107 of 1,179
Thanks. No problem on the grills. I know ultimately it's a subjective thing. Some guys have also said if you want to get the hd600/650 'air' tone on your 580s, is to just take the 580 grills off and give a listen. I've done that with my 580s with 650 drivers, and I was hard pressed to hear a change that was audible. So other than cosmetic, not sure if the grills would make a difference. If they were a little cheaper than the price Sennheiser wants is grab them. Otherwise I lurk in the for sale area hoping someone will sell off some grills.

Only thing Sennheiser doesn't do when you get the 650 cable is to send along the 3.5mm cable adapter. So without having one I'm out of luck using on my V10.

With my V10 I usually pair it with Etymotic Hf5. V10 is incredible there.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

The 650's sound surprisingly decent with the v10, better than I would have thought, but I like the 598's better with the phone. With my main rig? Not even close lol. Driven properly, the 650's are amazing

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,109 of 1,179
Is there a way to activate the high impedance of the DAC without cables and extensions?

In addition to using high impedance iems or headphones the only other way is to root your device and edit the file (mixer paths, not sure of the exact name) that controls the outputs at various impedance settings or use alsa mixer app. There are instructions in the thread back a few pages that can be found with a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back