LG G7 ThinQ DTS-X
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #76 of 292
I compared it with:
- Dragonfly Red
- B&O
I used these with UAPP, bit perfect mode, 100ms delay, high res driver.. (On lg g7 usb c)

In my opinion:
all three are very good, but in brightness, the stratification of the 9218 dac is the best ..

Df Red:
- the bass is very sweet, 3d stage!
- as if the band was on STAGE!

Lg g7 9218 dac:
- 3d stage! Clear, detailed midrange
- as if the band was in the HALL!

B&O module dac: large soundstage, but not 3d stage!

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #77 of 292
Really looking to buy this phone but my main headphone is sony wh-1000xm2 (which on sony page say 46 ohms).
Will my headphone have to face the problem about low impedance - low volume ?

Thank in advance and sorry for my bad english

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #78 of 292
Really looking to buy this phone but my main headphone is sony wh-1000xm2 (which on sony page say 46 ohms).

I have Sennheiser pxc 550 which has similar specs . No problems at all to drive these via bt!

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #81 of 292

I have the XM2 (soon to get the XM3, hopefully) and they sound really good as long as they're powered on when using wired.

A little trick is to get the phone in to AUX mode (higher gain). Disconnect the cable from them XM2, connect it to the phone (thus enabling AUX mode), then connect it back to the XM2 and power them on.

Also, LDAC sounds reeaaalllyyyy good on them.

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #82 of 292
For what its worth, I tried my T50RP on my friend's G7 and came away very very impressed.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #83 of 292
I don't know about the g7, but I tried the q7+ briefly in the mobile store with a usb-c dongle, 2GB flash drive, and my VE biggies.

I immediately went to the settings and turned on the quad-dac . Put the volume at about 17. Which is maybe a quarter of the volume bar, and played some of my music.

Compared to my HTC 10, it was cleaner sounding. Not as warm and background seemed quieter.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #84 of 292
I have the LG g7 for almost 2 months, a great phone, I bought it for its audio chip, with the HD650, akg k712 pro, beyer dt 770, koss ksc75 enters the stage of amplification that pushes up to 2v, which is quite, however any headphones below 50 ohms, does not activate this mode (how much did LG cost a high / low impedance button?)

However with low impedance headphones (less than 50 ohms), it is somewhat short volume, I have tested the kinera h3, htc 10 iem, brainwavs r3, qkz vk1 (these last require 55-60 volume steps of 75), which I think leaves many planars and iems at a disadvantage of some low volume.

Hi owatito,

I can attest to this. I plugged in my LCD-X, which has 20ohm impedence. It really was lacking in volume and punch/power. Wish I could adjust the gain. With my Shure SE215, things are sounding great. I'm not really interested in using the phone for the LCD-X though, so I'm happy. I'm going to get some higher-end IEMs that hopefully work well with the phone.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #85 of 292
Hi owatito,

I can attest to this. I plugged in my LCD-X, which has 20ohm impedence. It really was lacking in volume and punch/power. Wish I could adjust the gain. With my Shure SE215, things are sounding great. I'm not really interested in using the phone for the LCD-X though, so I'm happy. I'm going to get some higher-end IEMs that hopefully work well with the phone.
Wouldn't a beast, such as the LCD-X, require an amp in order to sound good from a smartphone?

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #86 of 292
Hi owatito,

Putting the phone in AUX mode will raise gain, but High Impedance mode is best for planars. I do this with my iSines and is how they sound best.

No need to root or anything crazy, just get a $15 (or less) impedance adapter on ebay (usually 75ohms) and short (4 inches, or so) male to female 3.5mm adapter.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #88 of 292
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I'm using the G7 with my sennheiser amperior now at work and I'm very impressed with this phone! Definitely opening these cans up and I don't feel like they're under-powered. Good sound.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #89 of 292
Definitely. Even the Sine, which are marketed as portable, are way too power hungry even for dedicated DAPs. Planars need amps, full stop. Except small ones like iSine, of course.

I use my Sines every day with my LG G6. It needs high impedance mode, but then there is plenty of power to go loud enough for all of my most dynamic music. Would a dedecated amp sound a bit better? Sure, but this set up is fine.

All I've done is to cable tie a 3.5mm socket in the Y of the cable. This socket has 470 ohm resistors to ground soldered inside. Then before plugging into the phone, I plug the right earcup 3.5mm plug into this socket ( it would be the left earcup on later phones it seems). Once plugged into the phone I remove it and put it back into the earcup. Voila, 100mW of power.

It sounds better than any other passive headphone I've tried out of a phone. Considerably better than the cypher cable DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #90 of 292
I use my Sines every day with my LG G6. It needs high impedance mode, but then there is plenty of power to go loud enough for all of my most dynamic music. Would a dedecated amp sound a bit better? Sure, but this set up is fine.

All I've done is to cable tie a 3.5mm socket in the Y of the cable. This socket has 470 ohm resistors to ground soldered inside. Then before plugging into the phone, I plug the right earcup 3.5mm plug into this socket ( it would be the left earcup on later phones it seems). Once plugged into the phone I remove it and put it back into the earcup. Voila, 100mW of power.

It sounds better than any other passive headphone I've tried out of a phone. Considerably better than the cypher cable DAC.

Too much hassle for me when on the go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back