LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Jun 14, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #781 of 1,050
SeeSax & club968, I cannot thank you both enough for all of the useful information you have provided. I have spent hours researching the G5 / Hi-Fi Plus & the two of you answered the questions even Google couldn't.

Happy to help. Mine is working perfectly today, very odd. I still love it and think it's a great portable solution. Hope you enjoy it too.

FYI: I do the trick where I plug in a 2" AUX cable and then the earphones to trigger the higher gain mode. This has some serious power when doing that.

-Collin-

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #783 of 1,050
Boy this is just crazy with mine. I was out walking the dog this morning with my G5 and DAC, listening to Tidal, solid 4G connection. Streamed for about two minutes and then cut out. I immediately took the phone out my pocket, toggled airplane mode and let it play Tidal "offline" and then it worked for the next 45 minutes of my walk. Near the end of my walk, I turned airplane mode off and Tidal cut out again and the HiFi icon went away. 

Starting to think it's my SIM/carrier. I'm going to grab a prepaid one from another carrier and give it a try. I'm the only one I've ever heard of with this issue. But the darn thing sounds so good that I'm willing to switch carriers to make it work lol

-Collin-

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #784 of 1,050
Whats this 2"Aux sorcery you speak off?

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #785 of 1,050
  Whats this 2"Aux sorcery you speak off?

Can't find the link at the moment, but basically the amp in the Hi-Fi Plus module has several gain settings that are not accessible by the user. Rather, they are triggered by what is plugged in. If you plug something in that has a high impedance like 250ohm headphones, it will go into "high gain" mode. If you plug IEMs under 50 ohms in, it is just "normal" which is not very loud. Somewhere in between is "external device" gain, and this can be triggered by plugging in an aux cable. Once it is then enabled, you plug your headphones into that. The difference is drastic, you will hear it immediately. Turn the volume down before you do this because I almost blasted my eardrums out. 

This might all sound complicated, but it's pretty simple. Would be nice if we could just toggle the darn mode that we wanted though!

-Collin-

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #786 of 1,050
Can't find the link at the moment, but basically the amp in the Hi-Fi Plus module has several gain settings that are not accessible by the user. Rather, they are triggered by what is plugged in. If you plug something in that has a high impedance like 250ohm headphones, it will go into "high gain" mode. If you plug IEMs under 50 ohms in, it is just "normal" which is not very loud. Somewhere in between is "external device" gain, and this can be triggered by plugging in an aux cable. Once it is then enabled, you plug your headphones into that. The difference is drastic, you will hear it immediately. Turn the volume down before you do this because I almost blasted my eardrums out. 

This might all sound complicated, but it's pretty simple. Would be nice if we could just toggle the darn mode that we wanted though!

-Collin-

That's ingenious! Can't wait to try it -- should have a G5 & Hi-Fi Plus by this time next week.

Also, I hope you get your carrier issue sorted out.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #787 of 1,050
That's ingenious! Can't wait to try it -- should have a G5 & Hi-Fi Plus by this time next week.

Also, I hope you get your carrier issue sorted out.

Getting closer. I have isolated the issue to ONLY 4G, which baffles me. Literally if I go into settings, disable LTE and only run on 3G, the music plays fine, the HiFi doesn't disconnect and I tested it for two hours today. As soon as I toggle LTE on, HiFi dac disappears, music stops, music won't play, then it plays out the external speaker and cuts in and out. There is some kind of bug. I didn't get a chance to try another carrier today, but I will tomorrow. I might try my Verizon SIM, but this phone isn't Verizon compatible other than one LTE band. 

Anyhow, given this work around, I'm still a very happy camper. 

-Collin-

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #789 of 1,050
Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me. I've been working on the assumption that someone made a 'poor design decision' with the B&O HiFi module, but thinking now that I may have a faulty one.

I have the H850 standard UK version of the phone on EE and bought the HiFi module as soon as I could.  I've got a pair of B&O H6 headphones that I really like so been using them, but my favourites are a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s that broke a while back.  So I decided to get them fixed.

Got them repaired, plugged them into the HiFi module, and I'm only getting sound out of the left.  Tried another pair of earphones I've got and if I use a 4 pole connection it's fine, but as soon as I use one that only has three pole (no mic so standard stereo connection) and I only get sound out of the right.  I thought it was just a 'it's on a phone' thing but that didn't make sense, and looking at people on here they're using them with things like HD650s, which obviously will only have a standard connection cause it's got no mic.

Is my HiFi module faulty?  Should it be working with any headphones / headphone cable?  

Thanks.

Chase

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #790 of 1,050
  Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me. I've been working on the assumption that someone made a 'poor design decision' with the B&O HiFi module, but thinking now that I may have a faulty one.

I have the H850 standard UK version of the phone on EE and bought the HiFi module as soon as I could.  I've got a pair of B&O H6 headphones that I really like so been using them, but my favourites are a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s that broke a while back.  So I decided to get them fixed.

Got them repaired, plugged them into the HiFi module, and I'm only getting sound out of the left.  Tried another pair of earphones I've got and if I use a 4 pole connection it's fine, but as soon as I use one that only has three pole (no mic so standard stereo connection) and I only get sound out of the right.  I thought it was just a 'it's on a phone' thing but that didn't make sense, and looking at people on here they're using them with things like HD650s, which obviously will only have a standard connection cause it's got no mic.

Is my HiFi module faulty?  Should it be working with any headphones / headphone cable?  

Thanks.

Chase

Not sure I can help much with this, but every set of headphones/earphones have worked just fine with my unit. Sounds like there could be a problem with the jack. Odd that a four pole one with a mic would work fine. Have you tried using an aux cable and then headphones plugged into that?

-Collin-

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #791 of 1,050
I think

Not sure I can help much with this, but every set of headphones/earphones have worked just fine with my unit. Sounds like there could be a problem with the jack. Odd that a four pole one with a mic would work fine. Have you tried using an aux cable and then headphones plugged into that?

-Collin-

Ok.  So I have a ridiculous amount of different cables and adapters, but the one thing I don't have here right now are the Ultrasones.

It looks like one of the cables, going to a pair of earphones, is just busted.  No matter what is driving those I don't get sound out of one ear.  But I've also managed to test another cable that was still not getting stereo out of the Ultrasones, and that 3 pole cable is working fine.  The connection to the HiFi module is flaky at best though.  Using a 4 pole cable where everything's fine it can lose connection and need to 'prepare' again really easily, and with any cable that doesn't have a mic it's so much worse.  So I think that there must be something up with the jack, but hilariously ALSO something up with at least one of the cables I have as well.

The one adapter I can't find is to convert from 6.35mm to 3.5mm, so can't try all of my headphones out to be extra thorough.  At least for other people it's good to know that it does work fine using normal headphones, which mine just has never liked, so I think the jack is messed.

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #792 of 1,050
The Hifi modular works with both 3 and 4 pole, the manual also states this, i've used the sony ex600 3pole, ex800 3pole, XBA300 3pole and the mi piston 4pole all works.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #793 of 1,050
So, ive had the phone and module for around a week now and quite like the phone. Not used the module much as was waiting for the cover to arrive. Just wanted to find out what is the music player of choice for android? Be interesting to see how the module sounds compared to my ZX1. So far it is head with its lack of background noise/hiss. One thing i have noticed is that the module has a high gain when used as a usb DAC. Drives the HD600's to pretty loud levels. And it is a definite step up over the G5's headphone out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back