LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Feb 21, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #47 of 1,050
my biggest reason to get excited about this phone: it'll make the v10 cheaper (i hope!). i don't see the second screen "gimmick" of the v10 on this phone, which is a downer for me for music controls n whatnot. that second screen sounds like a wicked thing to have, even if it is kind of a sham.

the only thing the g5 beats the v10 on is using the dac as an external sound card on a computer via usb, that's something i've yet to see on the v10 (unless it gets a root app or even an lg app to make it possible)

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #48 of 1,050
From TheVerge:

The LG Hi-Fi Plus is an external 32-bit DAC and amplifier combo unit, tuned in collaboration with Bang & Olufsen. It supports native DSD playback and will come with a pair of H3 B&O Play earphones. Unlike the Cam Plus, this module doesn't really affect the shape or ergonomics of the G5. It just makes it a little longer and breaks up its color synchronicity (the Hi-Fi Plus is a matte black, whereas the phones vary between silver, gold, pink, and a graphite shade that LG calls "titan"). Importantly, the Hi-Fi Plus will process and upsample content from any app producing sound on the phone, including YouTube clips.

Pretty neat imo

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #49 of 1,050
Feb 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #50 of 1,050
i am surprised samsung did not catch up with audiophile, so all respect to lg

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #52 of 1,050
on 24th there is xiaomi mi5  launch. We can expect something big from their end as they have always given preference to sound quality 

If they have it working on USA LTE bands...sure :D. The only one that is doing so well globally and has respectable audio quality now is V10, soon the G5 ?

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #53 of 1,050
but i like all the cool add ons that work with lg

i am sure being modular is really a door opener for many things to come

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #54 of 1,050
i am so so so surprised why samsung is not innovating anymore, what a boring release for samsung

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #56 of 1,050
but i like all the cool add ons that work with lg

i am sure being modular is really a door opener for many things to come

hykhleif: i agree

could present a new model of what a smartphone is...and can be.

'the verge'  ''LG's G5 is a radical reinvention of the flagship Android smartphone''

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11077616/lg-g5-announced-specs-release-date-price-mwc-2016

youttube review 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobVwMNUa2w&ab_channel=AndroidAuthority

if there are more PR and headlines like that then it might be enough to make people sit up and think
''hmmm...interesting...maybe at least check 'em out''

(and the comments at the end of the article are interesting....buzz being created)

let's just hope the modules etc work well (fingers crossed) and offer great bang for the buck.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #57 of 1,050
Beoplay H3 sound really good and are exceptional in the terms of build quality and design but they will make the dac section pricier - it will cost more than 200 $. Bad news. But I really like these earphones so my feelings are mixed.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #58 of 1,050
 Beoplay H3 sound really good and are exceptional in the terms of build quality and design but they will make the dac secion pricier - it will cost more than 200 $. Bad news. But I really like these earphones so my feelings are mixed.

good point...those iems already cost $150 or so
probably add in another 100-200 for dac...so 200-300 more?

...this will set up a show down for portable dacs.

such as:
1/new upcoming dragonfly blk ($100) or red ($200) vs the LG G5 on its own
2/and then each of these dragonflys against the upscaled LG G5 with the B/O dac...

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #60 of 1,050
  i am so so so surprised why samsung is not innovating anymore, what a boring release for samsung

They are only copying, they do have liquid cooling for s7
smily_headphones1.gif
learning from Windows phones.

Neither Apple is being innovative

Samsung and Apple don't really need to be innovative imo. They both have something that works and it sells. Apple has been successful for a long time and Samsung dominates the android market. LG has a long way to go before it can come close to Samsung in sales. My thoughts are that in order for someone in the android market to not purchase Samsung a company such as LG needs to do something to distinguish itself. With most of the phones in this price range (S7 or edge variant, LG G5, etc) the specs are more or less the same so for me unless a phone has something I'm interested in and distinguishes from itself my choice is Samsung.

I did have an LG G3 in the past and the phone frustrated me to the point of going back to Samsung. I had it for around 2 years since it's a waste of money buying a phone and then selling it a month later. I do hope the LG G5 is better as more competition is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back