LFF's MUSIC PICK OF THE WEEK (03-26-2006) (Sorry it's late)
Mar 28, 2006 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Hello everybody!

Once again I bring you another pick of the week a little late due to my non-existent internet connection at home.
frown.gif

This week I bring you a nice little album which I enjoy quite a bit and has become a personal favorite over time.

Bill Tapia – Duke of Uke

B0007KL994.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

When people think of Ukulele masters they think of IZ or they think of the technical wizardry of the some the younger stars like Jake Shimabukuro. Now IZ is definitely at the top of the list, and while Shimabukuro is a technical wizard, I much rather prefer experience over wizardry. Enter Bill Tapia.
“Who the hell is Bill Tapia LFF???” Bill Tapia started playing ukulele as a young boy in Hawaii and educated himself on the instrument by entertaining sailors at Pearl Harbor during World War I. That’s right – not WWII but WW ONE!!! Tapia’s career has taken him from his native isles to the recording studio and stage, in the company of world class swing and jazz musicians as a session man on guitar. Tapia has even played with Louis Armstrong! Now, I know jazz, and, IMHO, if you were good enough to play with Armstrong, then your good enough to be heard by anyone.

For most of the last 60 years, Tapia played guitar in session recordings and with mainland swing and jazz bands. For a time, the ukulele took a back seat to his guitar, as the island instrument was relegated to living room renditions for his family. If there was one thing Tapia built up during all these years it was charm.

The undeniable charm and skill of Tapia is fully present on "The Duke Of Uke". "Duke Of Uke" includes a wonderful rendition of "Black Orpheus" and his rendition of “Crazy” is so warm and full of charm it can’t help but put a smile on your face. However, the renditions take a back seat to Tapia’s experienced hands. His delicate phrasing and his vocal charm makes this an album to own. In addition to the jazz standards and instrumentals which get his experienced treatment, "Duke of Uke" includes wire recordings of Tapia made in 1936. While the sound quality is lacking, Tapia’s musicianship comes through with absolute clarity.

If you like your albums with experienced musicians who can swing a tune and are full of charm, this is definitely an album to get.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 7
uhh....don't feel like you HAVE to choose an album if you don't get moved in a given week. the UKE? i'll have to take your word on this one!
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 7
LFF and I hung out at his place for a while this past weekend and I got to hear a good part of this album. I'd agree it's fantastic. Having grown up in Hawaii, I got a little homesick too...
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 7
That's one of the best album covers I think I have ever seen! I want to listen just for that reason alone!
Slade

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 7
The cover is great and I have been wanting to pick up some uke music for a while. I think I will have to cave on this one. I have been having a hard-time finding any of LFF's reccomendations at reasonable, for me, price. They are just so darned elusive, and pricey when I do find them.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
uhh....don't feel like you HAVE to choose an album if you don't get moved in a given week. the UKE? i'll have to take your word on this one!
icon10.gif

Nah – I had them usually picked way ahead of time. I don’t do this because I HAVE to but rather because I like to and I have received a very positive response from this community from my postings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by THMBAT
Late for what?

Well, I usually post them on Sunday but due to my non-existent internet at home, I have delayed the posts for a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladophile
That's one of the best album covers I think I have ever seen! I want to listen just for that reason alone!
Slade

LOL! Remember, you can’t judge a book by its cover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omedon
The cover is great and I have been wanting to pick up some uke music for a while. I think I will have to cave on this one. I have been having a hard-time finding any of LFF's reccomendations at reasonable, for me, price. They are just so darned elusive, and pricey when I do find them.

Yeah, that is the downside to some these things. I try to keep the pick prices reasonable ($25.00 and under). I know some of them are a bit harder to find used or locally so I always try to provide a link to where you can get them. If I find it cheaper somewhere else, I will post it.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back