LFF's MUSIC PICK OF THE WEEK (02-19-2006)
Mar 26, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for this thread LFF.

So far I had only heard 3 different versions and settled on the Karajan Berlin PO recording, but I will be checking out a few of these as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind
Thanks for this thread LFF.

So far I had only heard 3 different versions and settled on the Karajan Berlin PO recording, but I will be checking out a few of these as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Hey, no problem whatsoever.
icon10.gif

I hope you enjoy your journey for the perfect requiem.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 28
Thread revival:

So I went down to the local record store to check out their collection of Requiems. I was mainly looking for the Harncourt and Hogwood recordings, but it turns out that they don't have the Harncourt, so I left with the Hogwood. Now I have three Requiems: the Karajan, the Marriner, and the Hogwood. Based on some preliminary impressions, I find myself preferring the Marriner and Hogwood recordings to the Karajan, although I haven't listented to the Marriner and the Hogwood enough to say which one I prefer more.

Apr 3, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Thread revival:

So I went down to the local record store to check out their collection of Requiems. I was mainly looking for the Harncourt and Hogwood recordings, but it turns out that they don't have the Harncourt, so I left with the Hogwood. Now I have three Requiems: the Karajan, the Marriner, and the Hogwood. Based on some preliminary impressions, I find myself preferring the Marriner and Hogwood recordings to the Karajan, although I haven't listented to the Marriner and the Hogwood enough to say which one I prefer more.

Cool!!! Thanks for the thread revival.
tongue.gif
The Marriner and Hogwood recordings are fantastic and that's a fact. As I mentioned before, Karajan is my least favorite. Wait until you hear Harnoncourt or the Mackerras.
icon10.gif

I recently purchased a few more requiems but I have not had the time to really sit down and nit pick them. When I do, I will add them to this thread.
icon10.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 28
This thread is incredible. It deserves to be revived after 6 years. More people need to see this.

I have a couple of questions, though. What are your thoughts of the following recordings of Requiem? and what edition do they belong to?
Sir Colin Davis, Mozart: Requiem; Choral Works
Slovakia Philharmonic Orchestra, Mozart: Requiem
- St Olaf Choir/St Paul Chamber Orchestra, Mozart Requiem/Sussmayr (I do know what edition this is
tongue_smile.gif
)

Since you mentioned your favorite recording of both the Beyer edition and the Levin edition. What is the best recording of Syssmayr edition in your opinion?

Thanks again.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
This thread is incredible. It deserves to be revived after 6 years. More people need to see this.

I have a couple of questions, though. What are your thoughts of the following recordings of Requiem? and what edition do they belong to?
Sir Colin Davis, Mozart: Requiem; Choral Works
Slovakia Philharmonic Orchestra, Mozart: Requiem
- St Olaf Choir/St Paul Chamber Orchestra, Mozart Requiem/Sussmayr (I do know what edition this is
tongue_smile.gif
)

Since you mentioned your favorite recording of both the Beyer edition and the Levin edition. What is the best recording of Syssmayr edition in your opinion?

Thanks again.

All three of those are the traditional Mozart/Sussmayr edition.

My favorite traditional version is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000004137/ref=cm_bg_d_2/002-4582930-3686454?v=glance

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Why don't you regularly recc music anymore?

I always do...I just don't write reviews anymore.

I have three jobs, two dogs and a wife. My free time is very limited. I am thinking about writing an article monthly about music in general and what to use as a reference test disc, etc.

I'll start the monthly articles after I finish writing my current review for a new custom IEM.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #25 of 28
Hi LFF,

How do we sign up for this article???

Tnx,
Mike

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
Hi LFF,

How do we sign up for this article???

Tnx,
Mike

Just google me.  I have a Sinatra post up that will be updated as time goes by.

Working on a full article to be put up early next week.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 28
Yep, awesome recommendations.

Subscribing to LFF's blog. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
Quote:
Why don't you regularly recc music anymore?

I always do...I just don't write reviews anymore.

I have three jobs, two dogs and a wife. My free time is very limited. I am thinking about writing an article monthly about music in general and what to use as a reference test disc, etc.

I'll start the monthly articles after I finish writing my current review for a new custom IEM.

Yeah, that's good, you did contribute a lot to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back