LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #106 of 633
  Everybody here understands the importance of comfort and performance over aesthetics, but it's simple enough to change up the suspension strap to not look like a riveted belt that's been chopped 90 degrees on either side.

Considering the aesthetic quality of the wooden housing and metal framing on the headband, the 'belt' just sticks out like a sore thumb.  It's not so much to ask to refine your design by making a simple change-- especially for something of which I assume will cost a pretty penny, given the price of the regular Paradox packages.

Have you seen the "cut up belt" in person? I have on the Paradox Slants. It's full grain leather and quite soft with nicely done stitching. Quite a bit of care was actually spent making it. I can totally understand not liking the aesthetics of something, but when you say "refine your design" you make it seem like LFF just tossed this on as a lazy afterthought. Part of why I like his headphones so much is because I've come to know just how much time he's spent on every facet of them and how much pride he takes in them. I can assure you that the headband is the result of what LFF thinks is the best he can offer.

The headband is designed to be modular. You can remove it simply using two small clips on either side. It's meant to be optional. If you look at the pictures Wolftan posted, you'll see a different version of the leather headband, so I'm assuming there are different types of leather too (don't quote me on that). You can also always use the top headband pad instead too.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #107 of 633
Going to chime in her, people talking about the aesthetic of the mad dogs and ADs. I like the aesthetic, but the "suspension" headband offers no better comfort to the T50RP. The Paradox one and Enigma one offers far superior comfort..

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #108 of 633

Have you seen the "cut up belt" in person? I have on the Paradox Slants. It's full grain leather and quite soft with nicely done stitching. Quite a bit of care was actually spent making it. I can totally understand not liking the aesthetics of something, but when you say "refine your design" you make it seem like LFF just tossed this on as a lazy afterthought. Part of why I like his headphones so much is because I've come to know just how much time he's spent on every facet of them and how much pride he takes in them. I can assure you that the headband is the result of what LFF thinks is the best he can offer.

The headband is designed to be modular. You can remove it simply using two small clips on either side. It's meant to be optional. If you look at the pictures Wolftan posted, you'll see a different version of the leather headband, so I'm assuming there are different types of leather too (don't quote me on that). You can also always use the top headband pad instead too.

Then maybe we could use some better pictures of it.  All the angles thus far make it look like a riveted belt that's been chopped up.  Even with better angles and closeups of the strap itself, I think I still wouldn't like the holes in the strap.  Something with the suspension bands sewn in and/or a longer strap to the point of nearly reaching either side of the headband frame looks much more aesthetically pleasing-- sorta like how every other suspension strap is on headphones.  From the pictures I have thus far of the Enigma, it looks like a dangling belt with two elastic bands tied into it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #109 of 633

Then maybe we could use some better pictures of it.  All the angles thus far make it look like a riveted built that's been chopped up.  Even with better angles and closeups of the strap itself, I think I still wouldn't like the holes in the strap.  Something with the suspension bands sewn in and/or a longer strap to the point of nearly reaching either side of the headband frame looks much more aesthetically pleasing-- sorta like how every other suspension strap is on headphones.  From the pictures I have thus far of the Enigma, it looks like a dangling belt with two elastic bands tied into it.

I will most certainly endeavor to post more pictures when I actually have the headphones in my hands. Here are some more shots from the meet thread however.

As you can see, it really is designed to be optional and easily bypassed. LFF designed two custom metal clips on the sides to let you remove it on the fly.

I can't speak for LFF obviously, but to my mind having sewn-in elastics would be more trouble than it's worth and raise the cost. It would also mean the entire headband would need to be replaced if the elastics broke. Having a longer headband is simply an aesthetic preference. Audio-Technica uses two small pads on pivoting arms, TakeT uses two leather loops, the new Jecklins use a weird doctor / coal minor strap, etc.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #111 of 633
Is there any possibility a demo pair will make it to the LA Head Fi meet in March? It will probably be just as big, if not bigger than the Bay Area meet so it could be a great opportunity for LFF to market these. I would love to hear these side by side with some Fostex TH900, AD, ED8, Denon, and Slants. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #113 of 633
Bottom line: having actually used the headphones, it's clear why the strap was designed the way it is. It feels like super solid leather, coming from a guy who is picky enough to only wear custom made belts and it's darn comfy. The cans are way lighter and more comfortable than the Paradox cans and they were one of my standards of comfort for those of us with big honking noggins.

Also, they sound fun as heck. The little bit of extra bass makes them my ideal bedside can. The impression I got from the meet is that I can listen at low volumes and still get that toe tapping experience. I'll report back more once mine arrive.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #114 of 633
  Is there any possibility a demo pair will make it to the LA Head Fi meet in March? It will probably be just as big, if not bigger than the Bay Area meet so it could be a great opportunity for LFF to market these. I would love to hear these side by side with some Fostex TH900, AD, ED8, Denon, and Slants. 

Yes.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #116 of 633
They look pretty good to me.  My D2000's with extra deep Cocobolo cups stick out about that far.................and as long as you don't go out in public or not care what appearances look like, the sound is what it's about. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #119 of 633
What is the backlog in this? I am still in market for a closed headphone and love to get more formal impression if these. Waiting with excitement.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #120 of 633
What is the backlog in this? I am still in market for a closed headphone and love to get more formal impression if these. Waiting with excitement.

Only LFF knows. PM him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back