LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Sep 7, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,277 of 1,896
Z12 Black/Gold in the house (the S12 Pro gets the same modular cable):

IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg
IMG_2999.jpg
'
graph (1).png

graph.png

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,278 of 1,896
Z12 Black/Gold in the house (the S12 Pro gets the same modular cable):

IMG_2966.jpg IMG_2999.jpg'graph (1).png
graph.png

I love this cable! The non-modular version that came with my S12s is one of the best stock cables I have ever gotten with an IEM. Letshuoer made a good call keeping the same cable material and braid/twist for the modular version they're including with the new S12 Pros.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #1,280 of 1,896
The S12 has been getting a lot of love from me lately. I'm somewhat intrigued by the mods being mentioned, can this great sound really be improved with a few household utilities?
can confirm the s12 sounds better with the shortbus mod, just be careful not to slice open your finger getting the shells open!

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #1,281 of 1,896
Hey so, I just modded another set and the new one's front vent pinhole was larger than my first one, so when i poked it open, it runined the bass slam, in turn, I added a 300 value damper on the front vent... yikes, I had no idea that would happen. A far as the pinna peak, what does that for me is the small insert, which I AM getting from etymotic foam tip inserts. I was able to get 10 for 11 dollars and that will do 10 sets.

So the only difference with my first pair and this pair is the front vent has a larger diameter requiring a damper. Also talking to Letshouer, my 8k peak isnt really there, its my coupler. Their B&K testing rig doesnt show it at all. graph - 2022-08-17T150725.620.png
can you take pictures of the 2 different sized pinholes so i can tell which one I got? I just did the mod and added the 300 value damper like you did here, but it made the 8k peak more intense than without the damper so im curious which one i got

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #1,282 of 1,896
Sep 9, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #1,283 of 1,896
How is that better?
I meant that the 8k peak with the damper on the front vent after poking a hole in it is more intense than the peak without the damper over the vent. Both are less of an 8k peak than the default before I poked a hole in the front vent

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,284 of 1,896
Personally, I believe all IEM reviews should mention the power source, especially for planars, and especially in the context of modifications. That is, the S12 IEMs have been reported to scale with amplification by several reviewers.

Edit… My set certainly changed in character in going from SE (2V, ~125mW) to balanced (4V, ~250mW)… #jussayin

Most audio website reviews, if not all, do mention amplification and sources used when testing and the majority of the time they'll be using decent equipment anyway. Even non industry reviews like from HeadFi members use and mention sources in their reviews. I think it's generally accepted among audio fans and hobbyists that sources will scale most IEMs.

Nobody is going to start mentioning modification in all IEM reviews, that's what sites like this are for, as you'll find a selection of members interested in it. Even then, modding any IEM (IMO) is consigned to a minority. There's FAR more likely going to be interest and participation in EQ than modding, I've noticed this more and more recently actually as sources and apps become more accessible and easier to use to EQ. Even then, most everyday buyers sunny do this either. Tbf, EQing has never interested me and I've always had sources capable of doing so. I do see it's value tho to those who do. Not many people want to mess with or have time to tape up, add filter paper, cover vents, etc with IEMs.

Got to remember the difference in numbers between hobbyist (audiophile if you like that term) and general consumer buying from sites like Amazon. If you saw Letsheour S12 in an Amazon search while looking for a one off purchase, the everyday buyer may look at the reviews, maybe search Google a bit for the first sites that come up... and make their choice hoping it's gonna last a few years or more for their next purchase. With luck, they enjoy it, get hooked on audio and sign up at HeadFi and join in 😁. The cycle continues.

Sep 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #1,285 of 1,896
There is no 8k Peak. This is a coupler artifact. I made a video showing how to fix this problem with the 711 everyone uses. Beyond that, some of these S12 drivers are better tuned out of the box. Letshouer is not influencing things.

Sep 9, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,286 of 1,896
can you take pictures of the 2 different sized pinholes so i can tell which one I got? I just did the mod and added the 300 value damper like you did here, but it made the 8k peak more intense than without the damper so im curious which one i got
All current sets have the larger pinhole and no i can't take a pic because its the internal ID which you cannot see that matters. The first sets had a much smaller hole from my measuring. At this point it's too variable.. so I poke the vent out. Measure, if its off, I poke more, then apply a damper to the outside. 300 is good also 350 or a Y1 for less bass or Y2 for more.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #1,287 of 1,896
There is no 8k Peak. This is a coupler artifact. I made a video showing how to fix this problem with the 711 everyone uses. Beyond that, some of these S12 drivers are better tuned out of the box. Letshouer is not influencing things.
You wouldn’t happen to have stock S12 measurements with your improved rig would you? Like something we could import into Squiq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back