Lets talk Mid-fi closed cans 300-600usd.
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
So I think my next purchase will be a pair of closed cans in the mid-fi tier between 300-600 usd price range. As I am new to this category I would love to have a discussion about this. I have been looking into the Beyerdynamic dt1770, as I loved the t1 and t5p for the short time I had them( was really into portable iems at the time so I sold them), Fostex th-x00 purpleheartrs, emu teaks with rosewood cups, and the Fostex th610. I would love to hear about other cans out there. My current full sized cans are the k7xx and the hd650 in route as well as k550 pro. I also have several pairs of custom iems such as the Westone es60 that I love and would love to find a pair of cans that sound like these, and a pair of prototype fisher inearz reference customs.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Throw the Final Sonorous line on your list of cans to check out. I originally purchased the TH-X00 to balance out the gap between my HD600 and T1 and wasn't very satisfied. X00 had the bass and "fun" sound I was looking for, but lacked detail and accuracy IMO. The Sonorous III has enough bass to scratch that itch, but also has a more balanced and accurate signature over the X00. I use them primarily for house, electronica, trance and hip-hop, but they handle MOST genres well. They perhaps do not have the speed for metal though. I put on some angled Brainwaz pleather pads for some better comfort as I found the stock pads a bit shallow. Effect on the signature was a nice addition, bass came up a bit (through sacrificed a touch of detail in the low end) and added a bit more space to the already impressive soundstage for a closed can.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 13
My favorite so far, maybe is momentary --- Audio Technica MSR7 :)
I Would say those dont quite fit in this catagory. They are designed for portable use and sub 250 mark. Nowhere in the same league as the dt1770 or the fostex th-x00.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Throw the Final Sonorous line on your list of cans to check out. I originally purchased the TH-X00 to balance out the gap between my HD600 and T1 and wasn't very satisfied. X00 had the bass and "fun" sound I was looking for, but lacked detail and accuracy IMO. The Sonorous III has enough bass to scratch that itch, but also has a more balanced and accurate signature over the X00. I use them primarily for house, electronica, trance and hip-hop, but they handle MOST genres well. They perhaps do not have the speed for metal though. I put on some angled Brainwaz pleather pads for some better comfort as I found the stock pads a bit shallow. Effect on the signature was a nice addition, bass came up a bit (through sacrificed a touch of detail in the low end) and added a bit more space to the already impressive soundstage for a closed can.

I agree with your assessment of the stock TH-X00... it's conjested and slightly muffled sounding with details being obscured. But it is easily fixable to get them to an entirely better sound quality level. Lawton Tune-up kit applied to driver housing only and aftermarket pads with easily made custom attenuators can bring them close to high-end open headphone territory in regards to clarity, detail, and instrument separation and still has that lovely and phenominal biodyna bass. Toe to toe with the planar Monolith M1060 in those regards, just looses out a little in speed of attack. I would never go back to a stock TH-X00... and I would never imagine of departing with my modded TH-X00 PH.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13

The Final Audio Sonorous line definitely flies way too far under the radar around here. I have the Sonorous VI, and I think it's the best balance between a fun and accurate presentation of music. The soundstage for a closed back headphone is also top tier. In my opinion, the only thing holding it back is comfort (which can be mitigated by changing pads) and its low 8 ohm impedance (it's very sensitive and hums with every tube amp I've tried it with).

When I only had an iFi Micro iDSD, I sold both an LCD 2.2f and Grado RS2e because I thought the Sonorous VI was better overall.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd throw audeze EL8C TI into the mix. They can be had for $550 nowadays on Amazon or other assorted vendors. Less warm than your 650s, closer to your AKG but with great isolation and easy to power. Used Mr Speakers Aeons can also be had for around $700 if you can stretch your budget.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 13
I Would say those dont quite fit in this catagory. They are designed for portable use and sub 250 mark. Nowhere in the same league as the dt1770 or the fostex th-x00.

Maybe they are designed for portable use, but are very good. (I use them everyday)
Bass (quality) and lower mids are better than DT1770 and Fostex Th-X00 combined.

Higher mids and highs is where they have some problems but not that DT1770 and Fostex are super good in this area.
Beyerdynamic DT1770 is sold, for me is too overrated. I kept Purplehearts tough...

If you chose your headphones by price, you already lost :p

I never heard Fostex th610.
Ah, and BTW, Fostex TH-X00 should even be called closed.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Try Meze Classics 99 (Old smaller pads)
Beyerdynamic DT150 (and DT250)
Oppo PM3

Or go towards MrSpeakers Aeon for a little more. (I didn't hear this model tough, but I see that it's well regarded)

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Audioquest Nightowls if you can hold off for holiday sales or find a set used. I don't believe they are worth the $700 retail price, but definitely worth it at $400-$500. They are very comfortable and have great resolution.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 13
You can pick up a used HE500 for under $ 400, sometimes under $ 300.
These were $ 1000 when they were first sold as the TOTL headphone.
Very nice smooth mids, detailed treble w/ a nice weighty bass. Well worth the
little money they are currently trading for. Drive easily.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 13
You can pick up a used HE500 for under $ 400, sometimes under $ 300.
These were $ 1000 when they were first sold as the TOTL headphone.
Very nice smooth mids, detailed treble w/ a nice weighty bass. Well worth the
little money they are currently trading for. Drive easily.
ANd the he500 are closed back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back