Lets Talk Metal
Nov 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #11,987 of 29,637
I would second these choices. I suppose this qualifies as molodic DM, but  if you like the harsh/clean metalcore thing, I think Killswitch Engage on Alive or Just Breathing and As Daylight Dies sounds a lot more original to me. But, I'm old and jaded. Just about the etnire DT catolgog, early Inflames and and At The Gates are the best of the genre IMO-which is pretty played out at this point, but the classics are great.

If this kind of music appeals to you, my melodic DM/MC 101 would be:

1. At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul-kind of the Sgt Peppers of the genre
2. Dark Tranquilty-The Gallery, Damage Done or Character
3. Amon Amarth-for good measure-just pick an album (I like Oden on Our Side and Twiight of the Thunder Gods)
4. Killwswith Engage-even though they are considered metalcore-Alive or Just Breathing-is really terrific and an important album in this style

My top choices would by At the Gates from a historical perspective and Dark Tranquility. I think DT is the best melodeath band...just MO

DT and In Flames are 2 of my favorites...ever.

Character is the best MDM album of all time, IMO. Damage Done is another great pick.

As for In Flames. Colony is my pick. ******* brilliant.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #11,988 of 29,637

Character is the best MDM album of all time, IMO. Damage Done is another great pick.

Damage Done is pretty killer.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #11,989 of 29,637
  Damage Done is pretty killer.

My favourite is The Jester Race!
I don't like their newer stuff :/

Scores a really impressive 9 on the DR scale :)

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #11,991 of 29,637
Just (well, not exactly) came back from a concert (Blindead - Atmospheric/Progressive Sludge + Godbite, some local band). Was really awesome. To quote myself from other thread:

Shortly: the sound wasn't that great (the fault of the venue itself) but everything else was, at least with Blindead. The support wasn't that great, but wasn't that bad either. Kinda Mastodon-wannabies (even covered "Blood And Thunder"). Also their sound was really TERRIBLE, but I guess the venue's sound guy doesn't care that much about supports. :-/ Also, one of the guitarists was in his 30's but looked like a high schooler.
The headliner sounded better of course, but not really good either. Well, at least I could hear there are two guitars and that the singer says/sings something when he opens his mouth and usually even I could understand him. ;-| But yeah, everything else was great: good musicians, songwriting, the energy, emotions. Just great!

Also, in case someone's interested, here's a sample song: :)

1390779_711961115500398_261216374_n.jpg

Now, debating whether go to see Behemoth on Sunday. I don't really like them and the tickets are pricier than today's but I heard good things about the local supports: Obscure Sphinx and THAW (especially the latter supposedly were great during Asymmetry Festival. Also Nergal and crew likely know how to put up a good show anyway.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #11,992 of 29,637

Actually one of my long time favorites...it came out when I was in middle school and was one of my first metal albums!  After Whoracle, it was down hill IMO...

I've been neglecting this lovely thread for too long, so I come bearing gifts!

http://thaw.bandcamp.com/track/afterkingdom

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #11,993 of 29,637
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #11,994 of 29,637

I love the older stuff!

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #11,997 of 29,637
  I would second these choices. I suppose this qualifies as molodic DM, but  if you like the harsh/clean metalcore thing, I think Killswitch Engage on Alive or Just Breathing and As Daylight Dies sounds a lot more original to me. But, I'm old and jaded. Just about the etnire DT catolgog, early Inflames and and At The Gates are the best of the genre IMO-which is pretty played out at this point, but the classics are great.

If this kind of music appeals to you, my melodic DM/MC 101 would be:

1. At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul-kind of the Sgt Peppers of the genre
2. Dark Tranquilty-The Gallery, Damage Done or Character
3. Amon Amarth-for good measure-just pick an album (I like Oden on Our Side and Twiight of the Thunder Gods)
4. Killwswith Engage-even though they are considered metalcore-Alive or Just Breathing-is really terrific and an important album in this style

My top choices would by At the Gates from a historical perspective and Dark Tranquility. I think DT is the best melodeath band...just MO

MDM and Metalcore, sometimes with some progressive are definitely my favorite genres. I love the At the Gates album, it's ******* amazing. Dark Tranquility doesn't really do it for me. The song Shadow Duet blows my mind, but the rest of their stuff is just alright. I just don't find the vocals to be very emotional or engaging. The End of Heartache is definitely my favorite Killswitch album, it's fantastic. I'm liking their new album with the old singer as well. Amon Amarth is a band I haven't given much of a chance, so I'll see if I like what I hear. Thanks for all the suggestions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #11,998 of 29,637

In Flames has a few really good albums. I'd have to go with Clayman as being my favorite. Followed by The Jester Race and then Colony. I actually like their newest effort Sounds of a Playground Fading a decent bit as well.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #11,999 of 29,637
Haven't heard anything from inflames since 2006.. been a long time. Time to get re-acquainted
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #12,000 of 29,637
In Flames has a few really good albums. I'd have to go with Clayman as being my favorite. Followed by The Jester Race and then Colony. I actually like their newest effort Sounds of a Playground Fading a decent bit as well.

I don't dislike a single In Flames album, some less than others, but they're all good.

I actually love Come Clarity. I know it gets a ton of hate, but I LOVE it. Dead End is wonderful, to name one song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back