Lets Talk Metal
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #11,581 of 29,629
  I'm looking for that great juicy DM album this year. Something that grabs me by the balls and kicks ass, but isn't so technical that I tune it out.

Other than Deafheaven and Cult of Luna, I haven't bought a proper extreme metal CD all freaking year. And no DM.

I'm hoping the new Carcass is going to satisfy that itch that I used to scratch with bands like Grave, Asphyx and Behemoth.

Last year I bought a bunch of stuff I still like-Cattle Decapitation, Jungle Rot, Pig Destroyer, Black Breath, Lord Mantis, Gojira....

But it's gotta be good man, it's gotta be good!

I am including, whatever I categorize under Death and has been good this year. It does contain few Brutal/Technial/Progressive though

Pathology
Suffocation
Ulcerate
TBDM
Carcass
Ade
Beyond The Shore
Exhumed
Arsis
Quest Of Aidance
Deeds Of Flesh
Autopsy
Wormed
Black Crown Initiate
Gorguts
Six Feet Under
Defeated Sanity
Immolation
Kalmah

This is from 2012 but really good old school death metal..

Horrendous - The Chills

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #11,582 of 29,629
IMO this is the most underrated release this year. It's prog death/doom:

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #11,583 of 29,629
  IMO this is the most underrated release this year. It's prog death/doom:

Yea, that's really solid. A one-man band too. Dude's got talent. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #11,584 of 29,629
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. The clips were great. I think I'm going to have  Carcass for sure. AboutHeavymetal.com just wet themselves with excitement in a recent review. Immolation is probably a winner. I liked Majesty and Decay a lot. That's actually one of my favorite DM releases. Just the right amount of brutality, some pretty progressive parts...just an album that works IMO.

I think for me, most DM albums take a little gestation....they aren't love at first sight.  And, then some I never quite get into.   When in doubt, I go for the old school which is why the recent Grave and Asphyx releases are satisfying to me.

That, and I seem to be gravitating to deathdoom (I'm a doom head among other things) like Evoken and Bereft which I thought had excellent releases last year....both of which took me some time to digest as well. I'm one fickle person now that I think about it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #11,585 of 29,629
  Thanks for the suggestions fellas. The clips were great. I think I'm going to have  Carcass for sure. AboutHeavymetal.com just wet themselves with excitement in a recent review. Immolation is probably a winner. I liked Majesty and Decay a lot. That's actually one of my favorite DM releases. Just the right amount of brutality, some pretty progressive parts...just an album that works IMO.

I think for me, most DM albums take a little gestation....they aren't love at first sight.  And, then some I never quite get into.   When in doubt, I go for the old school which is why the recent Grave and Asphyx releases are satisfying to me.

That, and I seem to be gravitating to deathdoom (I'm a doom head among other things) like Evoken and Bereft which I thought had excellent releases last year....both of which took me some time to digest as well. I'm one fickle person now that I think about it.

I can digest death and Tech Death quite easily. What I need time with is Black. Oh My Oh My !!!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #11,586 of 29,629
I think I've simply fallen out of contact with Death/Melodeath Metal. It just doesn't do anything for me anymore. Unless bands are incorporating some serious atmospheres, like Tribulation's or The Fall of Every Season's latest albums, then I don't care to hear it. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #11,588 of 29,629
Ask and you shall receive...

You sir, are welcome! Its been on repeat for quite a while.

Damnit, Trogdor how am I supposed to ever do anything when you post mindblowing metal faster than I can listen? My life would be a lot simpler if I had never found Lets Talk Metal and by extension Metal-Fi.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #11,589 of 29,629
Not sure if this band belongs squarely in the metal (or even rock) genre but gosh... 2001 SOAD could sing and play some amazing music. This is probably the best live performance I've ever seen from them.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #11,590 of 29,629
Fantastic black metal release here. The guitar work is really nice.

Thy Light - No Morrow Shall Dawn
http://pestproductions.bandcamp.com/album/no-morrow-shall-dawn

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #11,591 of 29,629
  I'm looking for that great juicy DM album this year. Something that grabs me by the balls and kicks ass, but isn't so technical that I tune it out.

Other than Deafheaven and Cult of Luna, I haven't bought a proper extreme metal CD all freaking year. And no DM.

I'm hoping the new Carcass is going to satisfy that itch that I used to scratch with bands like Grave, Asphyx and Behemoth.

Last year I bought a bunch of stuff I still like-Cattle Decapitation, Jungle Rot, Pig Destroyer, Black Breath, Lord Mantis, Gojira....

But it's gotta be good man, it's gotta be good!

The old stuff is the best my friend.This year id go for carcass or exhumed.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #11,593 of 29,629

Users who are viewing this thread

Back