Lets Talk Metal
Nov 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,296 of 29,637
Triosphere is pretty good.  

For some god awful reason it reminds of Heavy Metal the movie (the original one, circa 1980).

Well just for the record, Blind Guardian was AMAZING live.  I mean AMAZING.  They are very tight and the new album is killer.  If you are fan, you got to go to see Blind Guardian.

For the RECORD rehabiat, the coolest shirt at the show was hands down the Tryptikon (spelling) tee!  I was like, I KNOW THEM....

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2,297 of 29,637

Quote:
Well just for the record, Blind Guardian was AMAZING live.  I mean AMAZING.  They are very tight and the new album is killer.  If you are fan, you got to go to see Blind Guardian.

I'm moving to Edmonton this weekend, and as long as the family situation is somewhat normalized (two little kids will be pretty upheaved!) I'll be seeing them on Dec. 4.  Can't wait!  I saw them in 2006 and they slew me.

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #2,299 of 29,637

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this (because i started following this topic just yesterday), but there is a new Agalloch album, and it is goooooood.

The whole album was online for you to listen to on NPR (I posted the link about 2-3 pages ago).  I pre-ordered the import off of Amazon.  Can't wait for the East Coast tour in March.

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #2,300 of 29,637

Quote:
I know it's not metal to brag about your kids, but my 3 year-old son keeps asking me to put on Children of Bodom (Are You Dead Yet is the album in question).  Yesterday he wanted me to play it twice in a row, and when I told him no after the first listen, he asked for Blind Guardian.

Lol. That's awesome.

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2,301 of 29,637
I just found out the other day that Immortal will be playing in Chicago on 2/22/11.  I will definitely be going.  I'm hoping for better weather than the last time I tried to get to a concert in the winter.  I tried to see Behemoth in Minneapolis in January, but a snowstorm caused the highways to be shut down and the concert was cancelled. 

So, uh, that sucked.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2,302 of 29,637
Hello all,

New member just signed up. Ive been an audiophile all my life just never realized it until recently.. lol.

Anyways, I came to this forum because I wanted to learn more about the world audiophiles live in. My first instinct was to look for a metal thread. I absolutely love metal and believe that this genre (as a whole) inspired me to love music as much as I do, and to actually pursue music in the highest quality that's currently financially possible.

Anyways, I recommend to everyone Moonsorrow. They are a folk/black metal band, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonsorrow. Simply amazing in FLAC.

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #2,303 of 29,637
I went on a bit of a metal marathon the last few days, here are some impressions:

Meshuggah - There's no band that challenges my noggin' quite like these guys. I love to sit down and just try to wrap my head around what they're doing rhythmic wise. It's always fun to play "spot the instrument in 4/4 time!" while I'm trying to figure out what cycle the guitar riff is based around. Oh yeah, and they're also hella-fun to headbang to. I don't think I ever quite realized just how much more complex they got with each subsequent release. I can wrap my head around everything up to Nothing pretty easily, but after that it gets quite a bit tougher. As a side-note: Contradictions Collapse is probably the most underrated thrash metal album ever; part of me wishes the band had continued more in this vein as there's some great stuff on there.

Opeth - I had forgotten just how awesome these guys are as I haven't listened to them extensively in years after I first fell in love with them. Pretty much everything after their first album is just stellar, and I was surprised at how much I found myself loving their last two (which didn't impress me as much on my first several listens).

Sabbath - I still like to return to them occasionally, and they just never get old. I always find myself newly realizing just how much these guys pioneered ever major metal signature riff, rhythm, lyric, atmosphere, etc. that has ever existed.

Pagan's Mind - So THIS is where Queensryche has been hiding all these years!

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley + L3000s = THE NUTS

The Sword - They're nothing new, but damn they have a knack for coming up with some fantastic riffs!

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2,304 of 29,637

Quote:
I went on a bit of a metal marathon the last few days, here are some impressions:

Meshuggah - There's no band that challenges my noggin' quite like these guys. I love to sit down and just try to wrap my head around what they're doing rhythmic wise. It's always fun to play "spot the instrument in 4/4 time!" while I'm trying to figure out what cycle the guitar riff is based around. Oh yeah, and they're also hella-fun to headbang to. I don't think I ever quite realized just how much more complex they got with each subsequent release. I can wrap my head around everything up to Nothing pretty easily, but after that it gets quite a bit tougher. As a side-note: Contradictions Collapse is probably the most underrated thrash metal album ever; part of me wishes the band had continued more in this vein as there's some great stuff on there.

Opeth - I had forgotten just how awesome these guys are as I haven't listened to them extensively in years after I first fell in love with them. Pretty much everything after their first album is just stellar, and I was surprised at how much I found myself loving their last two (which didn't impress me as much on my first several listens).

Sabbath - I still like to return to them occasionally, and they just never get old. I always find myself newly realizing just how much these guys pioneered ever major metal signature riff, rhythm, lyric, atmosphere, etc. that has ever existed.

The Sword - They're nothing new, but damn they have a knack for coming up with some fantastic riffs!

Kyuss?  Hmmm...have to check them out...

I really dig Meshuggah.  I think Combustion and Bleed off their latest is just amazing.  For some reason I like Meshuggah  a lot better than Gojira.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #2,305 of 29,637

Quote:
Quote:

Kyuss?  Hmmm...have to check them out...

I really dig Meshuggah.  I think Combustion and Bleed off their latest is just amazing.  For some reason I like Meshuggah  a lot better than Gojira.

EDIT: Kyuss.  Pass.  I didn't realize this was Queens of the Stone Age stuff.

Opeth is just well Swedish awesomeness...

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #2,310 of 29,637
^absolutely yes.  some refer to them as metalcore, whatever the hell that means.

Trogdor doesn't know what he is missing when he refers condescendingly to that "Queens of the Stone Age stuff"

Dude, it's sad but I think you just don't get rock 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back