Lets Talk Metal
Dec 4, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #28,127 of 29,630

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #28,130 of 29,630
This is a really tough year to make AOTY lists!

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #28,131 of 29,630

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #28,132 of 29,630
Top 10 is tough and 11-20 is just as tough. I have skipped most of November releases and there has been a few I know I will just love but I am really enjoying the releases from August, September and October. Plus I discovered some of the newer Progressive Thrash bands and that combines two genres I love. Add a little sludge or black/death and yea I am on cloud 9.

This weekend I will listen to one November release. I am going to assume its as good as everything else these fine folks have released.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #28,135 of 29,630
Sure is! I’m in the process of going back through my favorite releases from each month and boy is it a long list. And some excellent November releases aren’t making things any easier! In Mourning The Bleeding Veil may very well make the top 10 but we’ll see. A great year for metal all things considered.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #28,136 of 29,630
Sure is! I’m in the process of going back through my favorite releases from each month and boy is it a long list. And some excellent November releases aren’t making things any easier! In Mourning The Bleeding Veil may very well make the top 10 but we’ll see. A great year for metal all things considered.
Looking forward to the lists of @Redcarmoose and you!

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #28,137 of 29,630
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #28,138 of 29,630
This is kinda my list. I’m going to maybe switch things up slightly?

Albums Of The Year:

1. Dordeduh- Har
  2. Obscura- A Valediction
  3. Diabolizer- Khalkedonian
  4. Empyrium- Uber Den Sternen
  5. Kauan- Ice Fleet
  6. Hypocrisy- Worship
  7. Alustrium- A Monument To Silence
  8. Archspire- Bleed the Future
  9. Blood Red Throne- Imperial Congregation
  10. Thy Catafalque- Vadak

Honorable Mention: Not in the running in anyway.

Negură Bunget – Zău 2021

This is really an album that ended with the band dealing with circumstances beyond their control. The death of their drummer Gabriel Mafa in 2017 pretty much destined the end of the band.

Yet after pieces of drum tracks were put together, it allowed them to remain creative for this final effort. Probably a visit to 2016’s album “Zi” would be a better example of the band? Maybe not? Of course we wouldn’t have Dordeduh without the complete split of Negura Bunget in 2009. So after Karban and Popescu left (to form Dordeduh) Mafa was left by himself to form the new Negura Bunget. Being that before 2009 the band Negura Bunget were really a three member band, you can only imagine how hard it was for Mafa. “Zi” shows the world this new Negura Bunget in 2016, though maybe questionable as to how it can be interpreted? I don’t love “Zi” but enjoy parts, and find it esoteric and exploratory. Dordeduh could be looked at as a continuation of Negura Bunget, just with a different name and one less member.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #28,139 of 29,630

Albums Of The Year:

1. Dordeduh- Har
  5. Kauan- Ice Fleet
  6. Hypocrisy- Worship

Negură Bunget – Zău 2021

This is really an album that ended with the band dealing with circumstances beyond their control. The death of their drummer Gabriel Mafa in 2017 pretty much destined the end of the band.

Yet after pieces of drum tracks were put together, it allowed them to remain creative for this final effort. Probably a visit to 2016’s album “Zi” would be a better example of the band? Maybe not? Of course we wouldn’t have Dordeduh without the complete split of Negura Bunget in 2009. So after Karban and Popescu left (to form Dordeduh) Mafa was left by himself to form the new Negura Bunget. Being that before 2009 the band Negura Bunget were really a three member band, you can only imagine how hard it was for Mafa. “Zi” shows the world this new Negura Bunget in 2016, though maybe questionable as to how it can be interpreted? I don’t love “Zi” but enjoy parts, and find it esoteric and exploratory. Dordeduh could be looked at as a continuation of Negura Bunget, just with a different name and one less member.
Nice list!! Some heavy hitters on there for sure.

I'll be hard pressed to have my list together by year end. I have a few ideas as to who may claim the AOTY spot but it changes daily.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #28,140 of 29,630

Albums Of The Year:

1. Dordeduh- Har
  5. Kauan- Ice Fleet
  6. Hypocrisy- Worship

Negură Bunget – Zău 2021

Great list of music, I will have to listen to Empyrium, Hypocrisy and Blood red Throne. That Kauan album was fantastic, such atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back