Lets Talk Metal
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #27,226 of 29,629
I love igorrr on my ex1000, better on the he4 but still. Never thought I would end up getting into that artist, just so random, but it's fun to listen to for sure. As far as speakrrs go it can be really tough to get a room right, and then if you change the speakers youre back to tinkering. I bought a house with all original hardwood floors so now I'm really screwed, but, that's what headphones are for! I have little kids anyways, so even if I got something right they would shift everything enough to where it's wrong.
Gotta grab the new Ocean and Pyscroptic albums today before I forget.

The nicest home 2 channel I ever heard was on a second floor/wood floor. Don’t let that discourage you. When I arrived at the house, the guy was telling me.......... “It’s upstairs” and I was like “really!”........ he smiled. You can work along with wood suspended floors.

It’s not just my opinion it was the best set-up, but actually a couple other industry-folks who have been around and heard way more stuff than I; thought so. So it can be done, you just have to be in a midsize room, tone the sub down and do wall treatments. Also the speakers were almost 1/5 of the way into the room from the corners. The speakers were pulled in farther than rear bass enhancement to bass attenuation? But it all worked so wonderful.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #27,227 of 29,629
How bout we mix electronics with metal?

Thank you for helping clean the wax outta my ears this morning. :) These remind me a little of Reznor/NIN.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #27,231 of 29,629
Entropy Created Consciousness. Pretty decent ABM, can be hard work but worth it. One man band and no-one knows anything about him. NYP & 24/96 (If that's your thing) :-

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #27,232 of 29,629
Once upon a time Opeth was my favorite band based on the last two albums, they are my new favorite

As The Kingdom Drowns

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #27,234 of 29,629
Regarding the stereo system talk, if you dont have a dedicated room that can look like ass and has space for 100cm thick absorbers, DSP for the bass is a must imho.

I have speakers that go flat to 28Hz in my livingroom that has ~25m2.
But the room ist almost square (4.8 x 5.2m) and height is half of lenght with 2.5m, and therefore has Spikes @ ~75Hz (+14dB) and ~150Hz (~9dB), just unlistenable bc it destroys all well into the mids.

For that i got the Dspeaker Antimode DC2.0, best 850€ i ever invested in my system.
It might be cheaper with a Mini DSP but the Dspeaker is fully automatic, no PC required.
You can still tweak the flat base curve afterwards and save 4 profiles.
I have one with +4dB from 150Hz down for low volume listening, and another that forces another 3Hz extension (down to 25Hz) and adds 3dB from 150Hz down + hard highpass to Filter all below 25Hz to protect the drivers, for movies.
For high volume music I generally stay with the basic flat response.

Ofc this is only accounting for the bass, everything above Schroeder frequency should not be altered by DSP (imho).
I am lucky to have a very understanding wife that lets me have 7cm Basotect on the left and rear wall (~2.5sqm) and an acoustic courtain in Front of the windows to the right (~6sqm, 3layer stage molleton) to take care of first point reflections.
Only the ceiling is "naked" atm, intense negotiations are in progress :p

And to come to the point, Metal just sounds awesome on that system, up to (almost) live levels without distortion, especially well produced stuff.
And if its a crappy production, the Dspeaker can apply house curve or lowered highs with a few clicks on the remote, all fine :)

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #27,235 of 29,629

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #27,236 of 29,629
I keep trying to get into Psycroptic. I dunno, I just don't think tech death is for me. They're really good at what they do, I just can't quite sink into the style.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #27,237 of 29,629
I keep trying to get into Psycroptic. I dunno, I just don't think tech death is for me. They're really good at what they do, I just can't quite sink into the style.

Im not big into psycroptic either, dont know why... But what about Suffocation, Spawn of Possession, Decrepit Birth, Origin, Omnihility, Anata, Punish, Hour of Penance, Iniquity, Necrophagist, Obscura, Vale of Pnath - II, Virvum - Illuminance, Anachronism - Orogeny, Inferi and/or A Loathing Requiem, Archspire, Apotheon, Arkaik, Nile, Lost Soul, The Zenith Passage. Lots of wild and vastly different tech death out there.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #27,238 of 29,629
Im not big into psycroptic either, dont know why... But what about Suffocation, Spawn of Possession, Decrepit Birth, Origin, Omnihility, Anata, Punish, Hour of Penance, Iniquity, Necrophagist, Obscura, Vale of Pnath - II, Virvum - Illuminance, Anachronism - Orogeny, Inferi and/or A Loathing Requiem, Archspire, Apotheon, Arkaik, Nile, Lost Soul, The Zenith Passage. Lots of wild and vastly different tech death out there.

I mean. That's a big goddamn list but I'll say that, of them, I wouldn't call Suffo tech death by any stretch of the imagination for one. They basically originated brutal death. Decrepit Birth I definitely like. Hour of Penance is okay. Necrophagist is bland to my ears. Inferi is awesome, same with Archspire. Nile is hit and miss, their newest have fallen really flat for me. Origin and Obscura I respect for their skill but it's rare I'll listen to an album.

To me, I've been far more about OSDM/midpaced bands like Tomb Mold, Temple of Void, Gatecreeper, Undergang, etc. I'm also an unabashed lover of slam/brutal along the lines of Cenotaph, Cephalotripsy, Devourment, those types. I tend to like my metal primitive, ugly, and mean.

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #27,239 of 29,629
To me, I've been far more about OSDM/midpaced bands like Tomb Mold, Temple of Void, Gatecreeper, Undergang, etc. I'm also an unabashed lover of slam/brutal along the lines of Cenotaph, Cephalotripsy, Devourment, those types. I tend to like my metal primitive, ugly, and mean.

xD I've been listening to tomb mold all day today.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #27,240 of 29,629
A good gateway album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back