Lets Talk Metal
May 29, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #26,521 of 29,638
I found HD600 much better for my ears than HD650, music came clearer and more energtic, metal had more life in it.

I agree about those aspects. It's certainly more snappy. But it had too many problems and was difficult to equalize correctly despite having less problems than the HD 700 and HD 800. What I like about the HD 650 is that I can play anything on it and it sounds fine. Its relative warmth and darkness are not excessive either, and I'd rather have the sufficient clarity of the HD 650 than the slight harshness of the HD 600.

Back on topic...

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #26,522 of 29,638
I agree about those aspects. It's certainly more snappy. But it had too many problems and was difficult to equalize correctly despite having less problems than the HD 700 and HD 800. What I like about the HD 650 is that I can play anything on it and it sounds fine. Its relative warmth and darkness are not excessive either, and I'd rather have the sufficient clarity of the HD 650 than the slight harshness of the HD 600.

Agreed all around. I still like my 650s (even if my roommate is borrowing them atm).

QUESTION: Where do y'all get your band shirts? I mostly just buy at concerts, but I'm itching for some from bands that aren't in town and aren't really on amazon. Just individual BC pages or something like IndieMerchStore?

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #26,523 of 29,638
QUESTION: Where do y'all get your band shirts? I mostly just buy at concerts, but I'm itching for some from bands that aren't in town and aren't really on amazon. Just individual BC pages or something like IndieMerchStore?

Nightgaunt Graphics has some wicked Amebix and Tau Cross shirts. (As well as some other bands I've never heard of.)

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #26,525 of 29,638
Hey guys, I dropped off the grid when Headfi went offline. My log-in or PW wasn't recognized. Just reset my PW and I look forward to catching up on the metal discussion.

New metal for me has been Loss, Nokturnal Mortum, Sabbath Assembly, Solstafir, Havukruunu, Ungfell, Ruins of Beverast and Hetetoir among other stuff.

Oh, and I went on a Soundgarden binge. Back in the day, I really liked Soundgarden as far as mainstream band goes. Grunge hit when I was in college. I know they're not exactly metal, but Cornell is about my age and I was pretty stunned by his death. He's one of my favorite rock vocalists.

Edit: He's pretty much my favorite traditional rock vocalist other than Robert Plant. And, there have been so many great ones. But Cornell in his prime was such a gift. Sorry it took his death to make me think again about his music and how important it's been to me over the years. I just picked up 25 Badmotorfinder anniversary two disc reissue/remaster set I'm looking forward to.

Want to check out the new Elder this weekend and Vallenfyre \m/

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #26,526 of 29,638
I think everyone went on a Soundgarden binge. Superunknown is a stellar album. Period. No debate on that one. And I would definitely call him one of the best rock vocalists of all time.

Heretoir is such an underrated band. I've loved them since the self titled. I know a lot of people aren't big on the SDBSM, but I'm all about it. Not only that, but how many bands in that style are spearheaded by a black dude? That's AWESOME!

e8a8061359304247936341ddbbd26771.jpg

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #26,529 of 29,638
I think everyone went on a Soundgarden binge. Superunknown is a stellar album. Period. No debate on that one. And I would definitely call him one of the best rock vocalists of all time.

Heretoir is such an underrated band. I've loved them since the self titled. I know a lot of people aren't big on the SDBSM, but I'm all about it. Not only that, but how many bands in that style are spearheaded by a black dude? That's AWESOME!

That is cool. Picked up Heretoir based on some recommendations. I don't really know anything about them. I'm definitely enjoying their sound.

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #26,530 of 29,638
That is cool. Picked up Heretoir based on some recommendations. I don't really know anything about them. I'm definitely enjoying their sound.

Their vocal style definitely isn't for everyone, but I adore it. That whole realm of post-black is amazing.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #26,533 of 29,638
I actually bought their first album! If you like AxCx style grind, it's legit good.

I remember you talking about them, come to think of it. Those song titles. XD

Oh, and about merch... I used to get most of my band shirts and other memorabilia from here:

http://www.rockabilia.com

They had a different name back in the day and I used to get the magazines, but I can't remember what it was.

If you're looking for more underground stuff, the record labels and distros usually sell merch.

Fun fact: The first time I heard about and used PayPal was when I bought a rare In Flames beanie in the early 2000s. (From the band's official merch store at the time.)

I still use the hat to this day. I couldn't find an image of it online, so here's a photo I just took.

DSCN5888.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #26,535 of 29,638
So my multi year search for an upgrade to the sennheiser HD650 has lead me here. I was wondering specifically if the Sennheiser HD800 would be good for metal music. They seem like they tick a lot of the check marks off of the boxes in terms of what I am looking for (which is described in detail in the quote below). But the one thing that I am still skeptical about is how they will perform with metal music. I have very different taste in metal music than a lot of people, I usually don't like metal which is very highly produced. I like old school death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, sludge metal, grindcore, black metal. That is just part of the type of genres of music I like, that is in no way all that I listen to. I am just concerned, because on the ultimate solution for metal chart on head fi, which I think was made back in 2012, it slates the HD800 as being pretty average headphones for listening to metal music. It makes me think that there could be a better all arounder headphone, but that headphone is not apparent to me whatsoever right now.

Here is what I wrote in the other thread about the sort of headphones that I'm looking for.

Save your money for hd800 and grab a dt880. I love dt880 for metal and it has a similar tuning philosophy as the 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back