Lets Talk Metal
Apr 20, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #26,416 of 29,637

i personally take each album as its own entity. couldn't care less who the band is or what they've done in the past. a lot of times i only own 1 or 2 albums from a band's discograpghy because i don't like some of their other releases. i don't feel i have to like every album a band creates.

Same. A lot of metal fans are collectors. I've never had that "completest" quotient in my music collecting-every album; bootlegs, unreleased tracks, live tracks, DVDs, paraphernalia. Now, I may own all or must of a bands discography if I think their entire discography is essential, but I just want music I'll revisit time and time again. I tend to find the albums I want and don't feel compelled to own complete biographies just for the sake of owning them. But, I think it' kind of cool to collect all the odds and ends for fans that are true collecors . I get it intellectually, but I'd just rather be more judicious with where I put my music dollars.

I stopped collecting music because I had my collection stolen in high school. Was a big reason I decided to just stick with streaming. :p

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #26,417 of 29,637
  I stopped collecting music because I had my collection stolen in high school. Was a big reason I decided to just stick with streaming. :p

Well, that's definitely the trend. I think metal fans, maybe along with jazz/classical fans are the exception. If anything, I might pick up a different master like the 80's Black Sabbath Castle masters or the recent Beatles remasters from 2009 which I do think sound appreciably better than the original Beatles U.S.CDs.....at least on a decent resolving system. I know this is a metal thread, but just to make the point. I don't feel like I get the same SQ streaming on my Spotify for dedicated listening for something well recorded.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #26,418 of 29,637

Well, that's definitely the trend. I think metal fans, maybe along with jazz/classical fans are the exception. If anything, I might pick up a different master like the 80's Black Sabbath Castle masters or the recent Beatles remasters from 2009 which I do think sound appreciably better than the original Beatles U.S.CDs.....at least on a decent resolving system. I know this is a metal thread, but just to make the point. I don't feel like I get the same SQ streaming on my Spotify for dedicated listening for something well recorded.  

Oh dont' get me wrong. I would love to start rebuilding the collection. Heck I'd actually really like to start getting everything on vinyl.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #26,419 of 29,637
Oh dont' get me wrong. I would love to start rebuilding the collection. Heck I'd actually really like to start getting everything on vinyl.

vinyl is great, until you realize how much space it takes up or have to move to a different home. :frowning2:

i don't want to be one of those people that get completely obsessed with vinyl and just get buried in it. i have a set storage space for records. if there's no room to add new ones then i start selling records that i find i rarely listen to. so my collection has a finite size. haven't maxed it out yet.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #26,420 of 29,637

I tend to not like when bands completely change their sound. Like... I'm not saying the new album is bad, but to me it's not "Ulver."

Maybe I'm off base, but I feel like that when a band releases an album that sounds nothing like previous ones it's like if a sitcom decides that their next season is going to be a gritty crime drama. It might be a great drama, but it's a different show now.

Ulver is one of the most diverse bands I know. Given that, it sounds pretty Ulver-ish to me.
tongue_smile.gif

I do think it sounds close enough to plenty of their older albums. Kinda reminds me of Blood Inside.

...But I wish Wikipedia wouldn't put so many non-metal albums on their metal lists...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_heavy_metal_music

Riddle me this: if the next Game of Thrones season was a lighthearted romantic romp, would everyone be saying "Hey, let the artist create"? Of course not. They'd go "look I don't care if you make that, but it's not Game of Thrones."

Being a huge life-long fan of The Lord Of The Rings, I was surprised how I ended up abhorring Game Of Thrones.

Right. The musicians can make whatever the hell they want, but don't call it the same band in the same way you wouldn't call the rom-com Game of Thrones. Ulver's a black metal band. Do a side project that's all electronica or whatever else and I'll support it 100%.

Ulver used to be a black metal band...from 1993 to 1997. If you want to label them by stuff they've done in the past, you could also say they're a dark folk band thanks to their album in-between their two BM albums...but it wouldn't be accurate. With over a dozen non-metal releases since then, I'd say they've solidified their identity as an avant-garde collective that does whatever weird crap they want. And yeah, I know your point was that a band's identity should be based on their origins, but that's not always how the world works. More often, a band's identity is more about what they've spent the most time doing. Personally, I like how diverse they are. I can't even think of another band that has done all the things they have.

Here's a link to their discography for those who have not heard it: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ulver/1208

@musicalchemist, what sub did you get? I'm starting research for my 5.1 system.

I have my eye on the one I linked to: SVS PB-1000...but I'm going to postpone it for awhile.

I played around with a spectrum analyzer and discovered that so much music has tons more sub-bass than I realized—including under 20 Hz! (I played test tones in the past and can apparently hear under 5 Hz.) But this type of thing is only a major issue with some electronic music where, for example, a bass line disappears when it shouldn't.

For the moment I'm having more fun experimenting with DACs. Got a Schiit SYS passive preamp so I could compare my two current DAC/amps (iFi micro iDSD and Schiit Fulla 2) as DACs only instead of as DAC/preamps. Can't believe how different all the combinations sound! ...And I bought a Modi Multibit tonight. (Oh snap. Just checked your profile and see you have one. Looks like we're both former Mojo owners as well.)

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #26,421 of 29,637
If you have the time to sit through this album, it is worth every single second.

https://schammasch.bandcamp.com/album/triangle

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #26,423 of 29,637
not my preferred style of vocals but i certainly appreciate the epicness and the amount of work that went into that album

I admit I'm really forgiving when it comes to vocals. I love all sorts, whether it's singing, screaming, growling, or shrieking. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #26,425 of 29,637
God, I love this song. It's nice how Samael went back to straight-up black metal for their 2009 album instead of their usual electronic/industrial metal.

By the way...the new Samael album (recorded and mixed last year) will come out later this year on Napalm Records.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #26,426 of 29,637
  God, I love this song. It's nice how Samael went back to straight-up black metal for their 2009 album instead of their usual electronic/industrial metal.

By the way...the new Samael album (recorded and mixed last year) will come out later this year on Napalm Records.

Nice!! This shall be nice to test with my X's...

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #26,428 of 29,637

I have my eye on the one I linked to: SVS PB-1000...but I'm going to postpone it for awhile.

I played around with a spectrum analyzer and discovered that so much music has tons more sub-bass than I realized—including under 20 Hz! (I played test tones in the past and can apparently hear under 5 Hz.) But this type of thing is only a major issue with some electronic music where, for example, a bass line disappears when it shouldn't.

SVS make a great sub for the money and I enjoyed mine while I had it. PB-1000 is a very nice sub. Sonically, two subs run in stereo mode are an even better option if your room and budget will allow.  I see you are also using a Schiit Sys. Are you experiencing any channel imbalance issues at very low volumes?  I did with mine.  Your JBL LSR305's are nice as well.

Subs also provide improved soundstaging and allow you to get a much better sonic impression of the space in which the music was recorded.  As such all types of music (regardless of whether the music contains deep bass or no bass) are improved with properly integrated subs (preferably 2 or even more), even if the main speakers are "full range" speaker.  I would add a sub before doing a DAC upgrade, hands down, but that is just me.

Let us know how things go if and when you do get the sub(s).

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #26,429 of 29,637
  I got to try a lot of IEMs and headphones last weekend at the biggest european headphone event that I'm not allowed to name here on Head-Fi.

1. Whole AAW line-up: First two models are not really good. Not even for the price. W300 is good. Flagship has weird treble.
  2. Dita: Pretty nice sound, fit was a bit lacking.
  3. Weird A&K IEM from Beyerdynamic: Really liked the sound, has stupid tips, is a bit too expensive.
  4. Custom Art Harmony 8.2: Nice, would not buy for this price.
  5. Inear Stage Diver 4: Sound-wise almost exact clone of my SM64, better soundstage, amazing comfort and fit. Recommended.
  6. Audeze iSine 10: Amazing. Loved it. Looks effing stupid and the fit is a bit fiddly, but sounds so so good for the price. Highlight of the show, might even consider buying.
  7. Focal Elear and Utopia: Elear sounds pretty good, would buy used if I were in the market for a desktop setup. Utopia tad too neutral for me, also way too expensive.
  8. JH Rosie and Angie: Rosie was bad, mids sound like you are listening to a telephone. Angie also very underwhelming.
  9. Shure KSE1500: Okay bass, everything else mediocre, performance for the price is baaaad.
  10. MrSpeakers Ether C: Meh, Elear is the better alternative.
  11. Etymotic ER4: The exact opposite of my preferred soundsig. Hate it. Totally not for Metal.
  12. Oriolus: Ooooooookay and not worth the price.
  13. Nameless Oriolus DAC: Nice.
  14. Nameless Oriolus amp: Really really nice. Another highlight. Love the strange mini tubes. Don't have any use for it, but still want it.
  15. Nameless Oriolus DAP: Nice buttons, nice and simple UI, hope it won't be too expensive.
  16. Chord Mojo: Nice, would only buy if I already found my endgame IEM, and maybe not even then because stacks are stupid.

Just ask ahead if you want to know more.
Someone please buy me the iSine 10 kthxbai.

Is there anything the sm64 does better than the stage diver?

I have owned them sm64 and rate them over all the iems I have ever owned and have traded my un loved umpro'50s for some sd4s, just waiting for them but there is not much to read. 

Also you noted a better soundstage, that for the sd4's? of the sm64, I have been following yourself for a while on here and know how much you like the sm46's and if you say the sd4 is better Im gunna be so stoked

on a metal related note 
I am About to get into kayo dot after re listening to Maudlin of the well and finding out they are rebranded as Kayo dot still not sure how i feel about this avant gaurde stuff but its great for testing your gear!

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #26,430 of 29,637
  Is there anything the sm64 does better than the stage diver?

I have owned them sm64 and rate them over all the iems I have ever owned and have traded my un loved umpro'50s for some sd4s, just waiting for them but there is not much to read. 

Also you noted a better soundstage, that for the sd4's? of the sm64, I have been following yourself for a while on here and know how much you like the sm46's and if you say the sd4 is better Im gunna be so stoked

Hmmmm not that I remember.

Congrats!

I'm pretty sure the SD4 had the bigger one. Also better bass because the fit is just way way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back