Lets Talk Metal
Sep 22, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #24,421 of 29,637
Thoughts on the new Queensryche lineup featuring the new singer?

I think the band made the right choice, at least live.  They were ignoring their 1st 3 albums for the last 20 years because Geoff Tate couldn't sing the stuff.  

Now the lineup, with only 1 non-original musician, slams through the old and hard stuff, the stuff with the piercing vocals and prog-metal riffs.

Check out live at Wacken 2015 on youtube for a great run through the old catalog -- Nightrider, The Whisper, Take Hold of the Flame, Queen of the Reich, Screaming in Digital, etc...
. So happy to have you back! - 87%
autothrall, November 16th, 2015
Written based on this version: 2015, CD, Century Media Records
PrevNextFirstLast
And now for some good news: I haven't liked a Queensrÿche album as much as Condition Hüman since they release Promised Land in 1994, which itself was probably the sole exception to the middling legacy they left behind in those times. Actually, strike that, because this is superior to even that. Whatever moons and planets in the universe required alignment have come together and shined fortune upon these gentlemen, and they've written the record that I really wished the eponymous 2013 title had been, with some aural pleasure to spare. Not only does it sound like the proper 21st century Queensrÿche so many of us have likely awaited, but it plays like new life for the band. Perhaps even breathing new life into a niche genre that so many have likely written off by now as nerdy detritus for musical theory students of a bygone era. And in the process, sandblasting Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime debut as if it were a soup cracker.

Let me clarify...this is not EXACTLY the Queensrÿche of old, at least not in terms of how the music itself is structured. There are traces of that, with a more muscular sculpt to the guitars and a recognition of the groove and hard rock influences which informed much of their material over the last few decades. Todd La Torre maintains his best Geoff Tate impersonation while simultaneously shoveling in his own higher range by the truckload. In fact, he's the shining beacon of this affair, with a number of memorable chorus hooks that rival the best that bands like Fates Warning, Ivanhoe, Angra and their peers have produced in a very long time. The music is a hybrid of their 80s style and a few more modernized, groovy prog metal elements that characterize the verse hooks in cuts like "Guardian" and "Toxic Remedy". Atmospheric dual harmonies and gleaming leads are cautiously applied where they are most useful, and there are even moody moments prog metal moments in cuts like "Arrow of Time" which hearken back to stuff like Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry. But holding it all together is La Torre's propensity to just soar across the skyline of the rhythm guitar and capture the ear every time.

Scott Rockenfield might not seem the most technical drummer by today's standards, but he charges what might otherwise be some standard hard rock riffing with a lot of genuine momentum and energy that strips away the listener's immunity. Love his fills here even if they're nothing new, and I'd say his performance plays second fiddle only to La Torre, as much as I like the guitars. The bass lines were probably never the forte of the band, yet Jackson's tone here is just perfect for placing such a simple low end to the busier melodies constantly frothing off the imaginations of Wilton and Lundgren. But what's even more impressive is just how damn well paced this album is...it remains fairly weighted throughout, if not with the meat of the riffs than with the emotional impact of choruses in slower, more measured tunes like "Selfish Lives" and the beautiful "Bulletproof". No cheesy or weak ballads, included, even the record's softest cut "Just Us" is firm and memorable. Production is pristine, even elegant. Musicianship restrained to peak effectiveness. A few rungs below perfection, perhaps, but this is just such a joy to listen through, and for a good number of spins it was improving with each successive exposure. Pure class, and with this record, they can finally take back their seats near the head. Hell, they could teach it.

-autothrall
http://www.fromthedustreturned.com

THX for the 2015 concert it made my day! Watched the whole hr!
Great review on Condition Human !

I've been into them even at the start going and buying the EP in 1983. Saw Operation Mindcrime in 1989 live, whole catalogue on vinyl also picked up the $100 CD remaster box set with the extras. Still what I say, they took a nose dive for awhile but are back like never before. Who cares who's in the band. A guy who graduated from my high school is the guitar player. He is the son of friends I actually had in my high school class. Lol

Now that we have Condition Human, the legacy is now progressing onward.

[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWlFxt-tSg [/VIDEO]

Time to break out the 1st edition Japanese import of The Warning !!!!

Edit:

To correct you, the lineup is slightly more different that just one member changed out? Or maybe your saying one vocalist and one musician member? In that case your right.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #24,425 of 29,637
  Anybody heard the new Monkey3 song?

Yeah I like Monkey3! There may be a new Om album this year, will see if it's announced. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #24,428 of 29,637

The new Dark Tranquillity single is pretty good.

You can view the tracklist for Atoma (out November 4th) here: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dark_Tranquillity/Atoma/600746

The limited edition will have two bonus tracks: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dark_Tranquillity/Atoma/600747

Bleh. At least the guitar solo and the part at the end was cool.

Remember this song :)

I played these two Heaven Shall Burn tracks yesterday:

I may just end up listening to Insomnium's discography in order.

I bet emo kids think this dreck is heavy.
rolleyes.gif

How I feel about some of In Flames' newer material:

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #24,429 of 29,637

. So happy to have you back! - 87%
autothrall, November 16th, 2015
Written based on this version: 2015, CD, Century Media Records
PrevNextFirstLast
And now for some good news: I haven't liked a Queensrÿche album as much as Condition Hüman since they release Promised Land in 1994, which itself was probably the sole exception to the middling legacy they left behind in those times. Actually, strike that, because this is superior to even that. Whatever moons and planets in the universe required alignment have come together and shined fortune upon these gentlemen, and they've written the record that I really wished the eponymous 2013 title had been, with some aural pleasure to spare. Not only does it sound like the proper 21st century Queensrÿche so many of us have likely awaited, but it plays like new life for the band. Perhaps even breathing new life into a niche genre that so many have likely written off by now as nerdy detritus for musical theory students of a bygone era. And in the process, sandblasting Geoff Tate's Operation: Mindcrime debut as if it were a soup cracker.

Let me clarify...this is not EXACTLY the Queensrÿche of old, at least not in terms of how the music itself is structured. There are traces of that, with a more muscular sculpt to the guitars and a recognition of the groove and hard rock influences which informed much of their material over the last few decades. Todd La Torre maintains his best Geoff Tate impersonation while simultaneously shoveling in his own higher range by the truckload. In fact, he's the shining beacon of this affair, with a number of memorable chorus hooks that rival the best that bands like Fates Warning, Ivanhoe, Angra and their peers have produced in a very long time. The music is a hybrid of their 80s style and a few more modernized, groovy prog metal elements that characterize the verse hooks in cuts like "Guardian" and "Toxic Remedy". Atmospheric dual harmonies and gleaming leads are cautiously applied where they are most useful, and there are even moody moments prog metal moments in cuts like "Arrow of Time" which hearken back to stuff like Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry. But holding it all together is La Torre's propensity to just soar across the skyline of the rhythm guitar and capture the ear every time.

Scott Rockenfield might not seem the most technical drummer by today's standards, but he charges what might otherwise be some standard hard rock riffing with a lot of genuine momentum and energy that strips away the listener's immunity. Love his fills here even if they're nothing new, and I'd say his performance plays second fiddle only to La Torre, as much as I like the guitars. The bass lines were probably never the forte of the band, yet Jackson's tone here is just perfect for placing such a simple low end to the busier melodies constantly frothing off the imaginations of Wilton and Lundgren. But what's even more impressive is just how damn well paced this album is...it remains fairly weighted throughout, if not with the meat of the riffs than with the emotional impact of choruses in slower, more measured tunes like "Selfish Lives" and the beautiful "Bulletproof". No cheesy or weak ballads, included, even the record's softest cut "Just Us" is firm and memorable. Production is pristine, even elegant. Musicianship restrained to peak effectiveness. A few rungs below perfection, perhaps, but this is just such a joy to listen through, and for a good number of spins it was improving with each successive exposure. Pure class, and with this record, they can finally take back their seats near the head. Hell, they could teach it.

-autothrall
http://www.fromthedustreturned.com

THX for the 2015 concert it made my day! Watched the whole hr!
Great review on Condition Human !

I've been into them even at the start going and buying the EP in 1983. Saw Operation Mindcrime in 1989 live, whole catalogue on vinyl also picked up the $100 CD remaster box set with the extras. Still what I say, they took a nose dive for awhile but are back like never before. Who cares who's in the band. A guy who graduated from my high school is the guitar player. He is the son of friends I actually had in my high school class. Lol

Now that we have Condition Human, the legacy is now progressing onward.

Time to break out the 1st edition Japanese import of The Warning !!!!

Edit:

To correct you, the lineup is slightly more different that just one member changed out? Or maybe your saying one vocalist and one musician member? In that case your right.

Awesome post - yeah i meant the ever changing guitar player slot since degarmo left.  i haven't heard much in the last few albums but their first 5 records are all great in their own way. 

I saw mindcrime live too, I think twice, once when they were opening for someone else and just did part of it, and once where they did the whole thing. man i was young, like high school, i can barely remember haha!

the rhythm section is intact and that's the key to any rock band.

the new guitarist is definitely no degarmo but it's wild how wilton sounds like degarmo now and the new guy plays the 2nd guitar parts. impressive, although he did screw up bad in the intro for wacken.

i think todd is a hell of a vocalist. i wish he'd settle into the role and get more theatric with it.  he should find a few lines each song to do his way, in his voice, so he doesn't just mimic tate but he starts to own the role. music like this is very theatric, and he's playing the role of the high-pitched front man, not geoff tate or some random rock singer. i'd like to see him dress the part and own it, get over the 'we're just happy to be here' vibe they have.

they are survivors though, good for them. they have a huge fan base that misses those first 4 albums, they should keep rocking. i'd buy that ticket.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #24,430 of 29,637

The new Dark Tranquillity single is pretty good.

You can view the tracklist for Atoma (out November 4th) here: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dark_Tranquillity/Atoma/600746

The limited edition will have two bonus tracks: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Dark_Tranquillity/Atoma/600747

Very nice track from DT!
A few of their songs in the past can be a miss for me, this one definitely is a hit!

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #24,431 of 29,637
This is another one of those diverse, thrilling albums I feel compelled to share more than once, especially since no one else talks about Dimension F3H. I think there's something for every extreme metalhead in this one. They sort of have a unique style, with elements from thrash, black, death, electronic/industrial, etc.

And here's a lesser-known Abigor EP from 2004 with a 2002 rerecording of a 1999 track and a 2003 remix of a 2001 track. I got the 7" vinyl which was limited to 1,000 copies. It's nice to have the digital version too for (assumedly) maximum quality.

Shockwave 666 by ABIGOR 
  Very nice track from DT!
A few of their songs in the past can be a miss for me, this one definitely is a hit!

Oh gosh, the track was already taken down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back