Lets Talk Metal
Jul 30, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #19,847 of 29,638
Yowza, for those interested, Krallice just put out a new album today. This one totally caught me off guard. I'm listening to the first song, kind of a shorter intro type song, and it's the slowest I've heard them play. The second track is a bit more of what we're used to from these dudes. Very good so far!

Oh man, I think this is my favorite Krallice record to date and I'm only on the second track. It's killer.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #19,850 of 29,638
Can anyone recommend any good new metal bands? Looking for something in the death metal or symphonic metal genres.

Not sure how far back you mean by "new", like from the last 10-15 years or so, or more recent than that? These bands formed post-2000:

Symphonic metal: Epica, Delain, Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia
Death metal: Allegaeon, Gojira, Triptykon, Veil of Maya, Wintersun

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #19,851 of 29,638
Can anyone recommend any good new metal bands? Looking for something in the death metal or symphonic metal genres.

Campj's list is really comprehensive and should keep you blissfully busy for aeons (the man has exquisite taste).

Suggest you try some DM bands who took a turn to the weird/psychedelic/ethereal/proggy/experimental with their sophomore albums after relative traditional/conventional debuts:

Tribulation - The Formulas of Death (I understand their latest - The Children of the Night - is another experimental leap, but haven't listened to it yet)
Morbus Chron - Sweven 
Horrendous - Eclysis
Chapel of Disease - The Mysterious Ways of Repetitive Art
Stench - Venture

Just heard Inferi's The Path of Apotheosis for the first time. Astonishing stuff.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #19,853 of 29,638
So the last of the Zeppelin special remasters came out today.

I'm listening to Presence today and there is this single open cord that Jimmy Page plays. Maybe it was the remaster, but the whole future of Black Metal flashed before me. Just sounding like Burzum.

An open cord and picked with a circle fashion and left to resonate!:fearful:

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #19,855 of 29,638

Campj's list is really comprehensive and should keep you blissfully busy for aeons (the man has exquisite taste).

Suggest you try some DM bands who took a turn to the weird/psychedelic/ethereal/proggy/experimental with their sophomore albums after relative traditional/conventional debuts:

Tribulation - The Formulas of Death (I understand their latest - The Children of the Night - is another experimental leap, but haven't listened to it yet)
Morbus Chron - Sweven 
Horrendous - Eclysis
Chapel of Disease - The Mysterious Ways of Repetitive Art
Stench - Venture

Just heard Inferi's The Path of Apotheosis for the first time. Astonishing stuff.

I'm all in with this psychedelic/proggy turn in DM.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #19,856 of 29,638
So the last of the Zeppelin special remasters came out today.

I'm listening to Presence today and there is this single open cord that Jimmy Page plays. Maybe it was the remaster, but the whole future of Black Metal flashed before me. Just sounding like Burzum.

An open cord and picked with a circle fashion and left to resonate!:fearful:

Redcar, did you end up buying the entire catalogue? I know your zep collection is pretty exhaustive.  I just picked up 1. I'll probably add II-IV at some point. I A-B some of the songs from my 90's remaster and I think it's an improvement.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #19,858 of 29,638
  Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely need Celtic Frost and Metallica. And before you say it...don't even start with me about Metallica sucking. Yeah, they suck now. But Kill 'em All is the thrash album that all the rest built upon. Any argument to the contrary is just elitism gone too far.

Kill'em All is just a so-so album. I wouldn't say that Metallica sucks but I do consider most of their early material to be rather overrated, especially And Justice For All. Anyway, the key albums for me by genre, in no particular order:

Traditional Heavy:
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller

Thrash:
Metal Church - Metal Church
Coroner - No More Color
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Megadeth - Peace Sells... but who's buying
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Slayer - South of Heaven (I hated Reign in Blood)
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Anthrax - Among the Living
Sodom - Agent Orange
Testament - The New Order
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Kreator - Extreme Aggression
Nevermore - Dark Heart in a Dead World
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Watchtower - Control and Resistance
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Death:
Death - Human
Death - Symbolic
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cynic - Focus
Entombed - Clandestine
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
Gorguts - Obscura
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Obituary - Cause of Death
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Sadist - Above the Light
Gorod - Leading Vision
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
Quo Vadis - Day Into Night
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Benighted - Identisick
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Demilich - Nespithe
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Plus lots more which I probably left out

Melodic Death Metal:
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
In Flames - The Jester Race
Mercenary - 11 Dreams
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Black Metal:
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Summoning - Dol Guldur
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Enslaved - Isa
Taake - Hordaland Doedskvad
Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Negură Bunget - OM
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Arcturus - La masquerade infernale

Progressive Metal:
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Tiamat - Wildhoney
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
maudlin of the Well - Bath
Orphaned Land - Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven
Persefone - Core

And yes, I don't consider a single Dream Theater album to be essential

Power Metal:
Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II
Kamelot: The Black Halo
Kamelot: Karma
Blind Guardian: Imaginations From the Other Side
Blind Guardian: Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Lost Horizon: A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Gamma Ray: Land of the Free
Iced Earth: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Defying the Rules
Hibria: Defying the Rules
Edguy: Mandrake
Virgin Steele: Invictus
Rhapsody: Legendary Tales
Lot of great albums on this list, man. Props for Sad Wings of Destiny, one of my top metal albums easily. maudlin of the Well, Gorguts, Edge of Sanity, Morbid Angel....all excellent choices.

Have you ever listened to Devin Townsend's solo material or his band Strapping Young Lad? I'd consider SYL's City to be essential, along with quite a bit of Dev's work.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #19,859 of 29,638

Lot of great albums on this list, man. Props for Sad Wings of Destiny, one of my top metal albums easily. maudlin of the Well, Gorguts, Edge of Sanity, Morbid Angel....all excellent choices.

Have you ever listened to Devin Townsend's solo material or his band Strapping Young Lad? I'd consider SYL's City to be essential, along with quite a bit of Dev's work.

Whoa, you dug up a post from like six years ago! Impressive.

His last post was in 2011, though, so he probably won't reply to you.

I've heard some SYL and Devin albums, but not all of them yet.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #19,860 of 29,638
Redcar, did you end up buying the entire catalogue? I know your zep collection is pretty exhaustive.  I just picked up 1. I'll probably add II-IV at some point. I A-B some of the songs from my 90's remaster and I think it's an improvement.

Being my age I have a long history with Led Zep. Started listening to them at 11 years old. I had a friend with one of the largest collections around. After all the promo stuff the only thing left to collect is bootlegs. Over the years I have seen and heard a lot. Still like most my interest is really only in a few studio albums and The Song Remains The Same movie soundtrack.

The Song Remains The Same was really the first one( remaster) Jimmy did somewhere around 08-09. The series ended yesterday with the release of the last three Zeppelin studio records.

I have mixed feelings about the series. First off, my favorite 2 records are 1 and 4 and they both sound great though different. Being a guitar player some guitar parts in both records sound amazing. Stairway To Heaven sounds amazing.

I played the remaster of Stairway at the beach for a friend with using the AKG k701s and the JDS Labs c421. Needless to say he broke down in tears. So if that is what the remaster series is about (emotion) then I think it is a success?

Still there is enough quality in the original albums. Many like the old mixes better. I guess any artist can dig around in the old master tapes and find small sections to apply effects onto and make people go wow. Does it improve the music for all the future generations? Is it worth the extra money? I'm guessing maybe?

Still the only vinyl of the series I have heard was Song Remains the Same remaster on 180gram vinyl and it sounded amazing. I also have the remaster on CD. So I have not heard the treatments on vinyl. If I did then maybe my opinion would change. I also found the original remasters of a couple albums before the end early 1990s box set. I have to say that I like them better. The 1990s box set is a little on the thin side, still that is what I listen to the most?

Just like Dark Side Of The Moon, there are hundreds of copies of stuff out there to find. And don't forget there was a 45rpm remaster series of the entire Led Zeppelin studio records put out by ( I think "Classic" records ) the 24 bit rip of 4 from that has the most bass I have heard. Still I think it is nice to hear them as you remember them. Everyone has their own personal story of how they remember them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back