Lets Talk Metal
Jun 25, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #19,591 of 29,629
Guess I'm the odd one out again.
Don't drink (not even beer), smoke or take any kind of drug (except for my thyroxine :p).
Never did and chances are very slim that I will ever start.
I'm deep into chocolate-fi though :D
$5 per bar? Pff cheepo schiit!

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #19,592 of 29,629

Don't drink (not even beer), smoke or take any kind of drug (except for my thyroxine :p).

Well, the Devil has even made something just perfect for you!

Sorry.........just joking!

There is many personality types and some people just don't have addictive personalities. That is just how life is.

Normally it runs in families, I have it in my Mom, Dad, Uncles....basicly everyone in my family. My little Brother is a major Pro!

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #19,594 of 29,629
Talking about addiction, I was smoking till 2013 but now addicted to nicotine gums. Have to find some kind of resolve to stop that. Never thought, I would be chewing nicotine gum for such a long time

Although you would still be using nicotine, have you thought about nicotine vapourizers (aka electronic cigarettes)? My girlfriend and I have been using them for 3 years now, and we've been cutting back the nicotine slowly (we both enjoyed smoking so we're not in a rush). Some people cut back much faster, but that's one of the benefits, it's very easy to manage your nicotine consumption by reducing nicotine concentration and controlling how much liquid you use a day.

Nicotine itself isn't really a health issue though. Apart from being incredibly addictive, it's actually relatively safe, comparable to caffeine. The dangerous compounds are in the tobacco, mostly nitrosamines and other solvents, etc... added to it. There are minute quantities of nitrosamines in products made from extracted nicotine (too expensive to synthesize compared to producing tobacco) but these quantities are negligible as they're similar to concentrations found in food.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be overly concerned with nicotine gum. Sure, it's not the best habit, but it's really not too bad for you. :)

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #19,595 of 29,629

I don't either. Although I did lots of drugs in middle school and high school. Glad I don't. My dad drank to death.

Uh metal rules. Gotta keep it relevant.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #19,596 of 29,629
Although you would still be using nicotine, have you thought about nicotine vapourizers (aka electronic cigarettes)? My girlfriend and I have been using them for 3 years now, and we've been cutting back the nicotine slowly (we both enjoyed smoking so we're not in a rush). Some people cut back much faster, but that's one of the benefits, it's very easy to manage your nicotine consumption by reducing nicotine concentration and controlling how much liquid you use a day.

Nicotine itself isn't really a health issue though. Apart from being incredibly addictive, it's actually relatively safe, comparable to caffeine. The dangerous compounds are in the tobacco, mostly nitrosamines and other solvents, etc... added to it. There are minute quantities of nitrosamines in products made from extracted nicotine (too expensive to synthesize compared to producing tobacco) but these quantities are negligible as they're similar to concentrations found in food.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be overly concerned with nicotine gum. Sure, it's not the best habit, but it's really not too bad for you. :)

The other crazy thing in cigarette smoke is the isotopes which the cig companies have known about for 50 years but never let on about.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/radioactive-smoke/

http://www.briannarego.com/RegoIsis2009.pdf

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #19,597 of 29,629

I used to enjoy your random posts about food and recipes in AAMML...and our random metal discussions there.

Gah...I still need to listen to those three tracks. The link to the post is in my text file. I also kept the link to the live version of that Vital Remains song.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #19,598 of 29,629

You live in Germany and don't drink beer? 
eek.gif
 That's like the promised land of beer!

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #19,601 of 29,629
  Honestly, USA is the promised land of beer. Sure you don't get Quads or Gueuzes like in Belgium, but there is much more diversity and quality overall in the states, especially on the west coast.

Wish I could find some quality beer. The beer I've bought from stores was the worst stuff I've ever tasted. Guess I didn't choose wisely...

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #19,602 of 29,629
Honestly, USA is the promised land of beer. Sure you don't get Quads or Gueuzes like in Belgium, but there is much more diversity and quality overall in the states, especially on the west coast.

I live in Portland, widely known as a beer haven and find soooo many crappy beers because everybody and their brother thinks they make good home brew so why not open a craft brewery...,

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #19,603 of 29,629

My exp couldnt be more diff. With the exception of one local microbrewery in Ohio once, the USA beer was the worst I ever had .. even chinese beer was much better.

+1 for Belgium. Although for me it's mostly German and/or Czech pils all the way.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #19,604 of 29,629
My exp couldnt be more diff. With the exception of one local microbrewery in Ohio once, the USA beer was the worst I ever had .. even chinese beer was much better.

+1 for Belgium. Although for me it's mostly German and/or Czech pils all the way.

Maybe our tastes are just different...

I made pretty much all of my own beer for a good 5 year stretch once and have had a low tolerance for poorly crafted beer after that.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #19,605 of 29,629
Maybe our tastes are just different...

I made pretty much all of my own beer for a good 5 year stretch once and have had a low tolerance for poorly crafted beer after that.

It's surely a matter of taste. But I'm also all for own made or microbrew beer .. almost all beers I tried from those kind of sources were great. Even the poorest ones were way better than the awfull stuff they had in pretty much any USA supermarket I visited... most of that stuff doesnt even deserve the name of beer in my book. Never had a poor beer in germany, czech or begium .. and very rarely in other EU countries. Asian beer was also mostly drinkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back