Lets Talk Metal
May 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #18,526 of 29,564
  I love this album :)

Is this new?  I really liked half blood.

Separate note, Just picked up a copy of The Gentle Storm, The Diary after streaming quite a bit over the past few weeks. This is an example where I would want the CD. The artwork and extensive liner notes, lyrics and diary entries really add to the 17 century history piece that this basically is.

Just listened to the folk CD which as I have posted before is about as metal as Lorena Mcennitt which is what this albums makes me think of a bit-but with Dutch sensibilities. It's a tragic story about two lovers. More Shakespearean than metal. But the old bard had some metal themes up his sleeve. Or like an Emma Thompson period piece.

That said, I absolutely love this album. It is more pop oriented than a lot of what I listen to even if it is through a folk genre. But, her vocal performance and the compositions in and folk instrumentation are fantastic.

Also aping the AMG's review, the production is gorgeous on par with Steven Wilson's magic touches in the prog sphere. Regardless of taste this is one album that will sound glorious on your good gear.

May 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #18,529 of 29,564
Busted my tail working today for a DC kayak company I teach on the side for....and I knew I needed a couple of good craft beers and something heavy but kind of groovy to chill to tonight..saw Swipers praise for the new Elder album on the Grado page, so I gave it a go on Spotify. Totally digging this tonight. Stoner/psyche doom but really solid.

I'm a total genre metal whore. If I think it's good, I'll listen to pretty much anything. Little bit of Sabbath/Zeppelin/Sleep, some Pelican...vocals pretty on the backburner. Well done for a genre that I tend to leave for dead, but seem to come back to  over and over....

May 6, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #18,531 of 29,564
  ..saw Swipers praise for the new Elder album on the Grado page, so I gave it a go on Spotify. Totally digging this tonight. Stoner/psyche doom but really solid.

I really do dig this album and I think the songwriting is stellar, but for some reason their album Dead Roots Stirring resonates with me even more. Groovy as all hell. I would have loved to have been at Roadburn the year they were there, holy crap that was an amazing lineup, in a history of killer lineups.

May 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #18,533 of 29,564
May 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #18,534 of 29,564
  Busted my tail working today for a DC kayak company I teach on the side for....and I knew I needed a couple of good craft beers and something heavy but kind of groovy to chill to tonight..saw Swipers praise for the new Elder album on the Grado page, so I gave it a go on Spotify. Totally digging this tonight. Stoner/psyche doom but really solid.

I'm a total genre metal whore. If I think it's good, I'll listen to pretty much anything. Little bit of Sabbath/Zeppelin/Sleep, some Pelican...vocals pretty on the backburner. Well done for a genre that I tend to leave for dead, but seem to come back to  over and over....

Yep, so far it's my album of the year.  I'm totally blown away by what these kids have achieved over the past 5 years.  Elder's Lore is available on Bandcamp for pretty cheap...

May 6, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #18,536 of 29,564
I still haven't gotten over Monolord's latest but i'll be delving in to that Elder very soon, Dead Roots was pretty great.

Listened to Dopesmoker last night with my Dunu Titan 1s. I've found they are not the best for doom, guitars usually sound too smooth and overly dark for my taste. But man, they killed it with Dopesmoker!

May 6, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #18,537 of 29,564
I ordered my Elder vinyl a week ago
wink_face.gif

Some soul-crushing Funeral Doom.

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/four-phantoms

May 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #18,539 of 29,564
  Some soul-crushing Funeral Doom.

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/four-phantoms

I forgot that was coming out last week. The teaser track got me really excited when I heard it a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back