Lets Talk Metal
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #18,361 of 29,638
  I'd like to think you are going back to basics. With experience, you know which parts aren't really needed
jecklinsmile.gif

Please, someone, tell Tuomas from Nightwish to look at Redcarmoose's process. The new record didn't speak to me personally at all. Tuomas doesn't have 30 years between records to spare though.

I'd much rather listen to this

it's ok but a little too happy for my taste.  she has a great voice!  i second markm1's query, is that anneke?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #18,362 of 29,638

Is that Anneke from the Gathering?

it's ok but a little too happy for my taste.  she has a great voice!  i second markm1's query, is that anneke?

She is indeed. The album has this pirate/folk feel to it. And her voice, you just sing along! The songs have some repeating chord progression quirks which make them maybe a bit predictable. That might be a signature of Arjen Lucassen (the Ayreon guy) who wrote them. I haven't listened to his previous work but this is refreshing.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #18,363 of 29,638
Anyone knows if there is an Insomnium record that sounds better on vinyl than the normal CD? I love this band so much and wish I could enjoy their songs with the sound they deserve. I´m especially eager about Above the Weeping World :)

On another term. This album is amazing:

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #18,364 of 29,638

She is indeed. The album has this pirate/folk feel to it. And her voice, you just sing along! The songs have some repeating chord progression quirks which make them maybe a bit predictable. That might be a signature of Arjen Lucassen (the Ayreon guy) who wrote them. I haven't listened to his previous work but this is refreshing.

I thought so! She's such a great vocal talent. I love the Gathering.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #18,366 of 29,638
  I'd like to think you are going back to basics. With experience, you know which parts aren't really needed
jecklinsmile.gif

Please, someone, tell Tuomas from Nightwish to look at Redcarmoose's process. The new record didn't speak to me personally at all. Tuomas doesn't have 30 years between records to spare though.

I'd much rather listen to this

I streamed on Spotify on my Sonos speakers in the kitchen this morning before work. Long album! No metal to speak of. It really is a folk/pop rock album. Reminds me just a bit of Lorena Mckinnet  but obviously not Irish-Dutch?

I like indie folk. But this is different. I guess the European influence vs the more Dylan inspired roots music I'm more familiar with in American folk rock. 
I'm guessing this must be similar to European folk pop that we don't hear that much on this side of the pond. Of Monsters and Men would be a reference point for me. But, nothing like them. This has more of a soft rock folksy vibe. Nice listen. She could pretty much sing out of a phone book as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #18,369 of 29,638
This year has been a disappointment in metal. Only album that's been even decent is Secret Spheres rerelease.

e.e

Starting in maybe 2010, I became amazed at just how many metal releases were coming out every year. The albums now came from all over the world. Russia was making Goregrind and Black Metal like it was the 1990s again. South America was making Black Metal. We had a one world of metal all of a sudden. All bands could play. The level of what it took to be known just went up a notch and you still had great albums coming from the old great bands. Needless to say it was very hard to grasp. Like having 4 girlfriends all in love with you, you had a problem and felt you may be missing something.

We still have all the music from the last 5 years that I promise no one has ever scratched the surface of.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #18,371 of 29,638

I mostly listen to Power/Prog, some Melodeath. Prove me wrong.

Only good release is Secret Sphere. Kamelot's upcoming album has me hopeful.

That's not really my cup of tea so....meh.
What about the new Blind Guardian? These guys are putting out quality records like there is no tomorrow.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #18,372 of 29,638
What about the new Blind Guardian? These guys are putting out quality records like there is no tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying the new blind guardian. Also, I am really enjoying the new Angra album and Seven Year Storm Aion I.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #18,373 of 29,638
  I'm really enjoying the new blind guardian. Also, I am really enjoying the new Angra album and Seven Year Storm Aion I.

Maybe should check it out. I felt like they started repeating themselves after Night at the Opera. They just seemed to be on repeat cycle without a whole lot of inspiration. But, maybe they reached a point of being able to do only so much with their genre. Imaginations, Twilight on Middle Earth, Tales from the Twilight World-that's where it was at for me w/ them....some of the best PM I've ever enjoyed.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #18,374 of 29,638

Blind Guardian has only released two albums I have ever enjoyed. This was not one of them. 

Blind Guardian isn't something I would associate with quality, personally. I'd associate them with consistency, and mediocrity, in that they're consistently mediocre.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #18,375 of 29,638

Blind Guardian has only released two albums I have ever enjoyed. This was not one of them. 

Blind Guardian isn't something I would associate with quality, personally. I'd associate them with consistency, and mediocrity, in that they're consistently mediocre.

Well, at least you put a positive spin on it lol.

I like Blind Guardian as each of their albums gives me the fist pumping power metal candy that I want. I don't like them because they are special or whatever. That being said, I think their new one is pretty good and deserves AMG's runner up status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back